• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How did you start?

How did you first START playing disc golf?

• saw people playing in a park I frequent or drive by

Votes: 20 19.4%
  • saw videos and it interested me

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • found info about disc golf online (other than videos)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • saw info and discs in a sporting good store

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • a friend or acquaintance invited me to play

Votes: 54 52.4%
  • heard about it somewhere, via word of mouth

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • decided and took lessons/keep the peace

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other

Votes: 24 23.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

araytx

* Ace Member *
How did you get started playing disc golf?

And before anyone comments (like myself), I tried prerubing and couldn't get anything really similar.

Last edited:
Saw my first baskets on a course in about 1985, but no one playing. Dabbled a couple of times with just starter pack discs, but then found my old Leopard in the garage about 3-4 months ago. Somehow got completely (S)-hooked,

Saw my first baskets on a course in about 1985, but no one playing. Dabbled a couple of times with just starter pack discs, but then found my old Leopard in the garage about 3-4 months ago. Somehow got completely (S)-hooked,

I found it in 1985 also.........
Rode my bike by a park and saw people throwing frisbees near the woods. Couldnt see who they were throwing TO so i rode in to discover the baskets and been hooked ever since.

Saw a handful of discs for sale while perusing the malt liquor selection at a store down the street from Veteran's in Sylmar. Friend knew what it was from his dealer's cousin, and we later borrowed a few beat up DX Cheetah, or Gazelle, or whatevers. Same day after the round, went to that liquor store and bought an XL, X2, and Xpress.

2010. My Dad had just passed away from lung cancer and I lost my job a week later. I was headed down the road of substance abuse. An older friend of mine knew I loved hiking and the outdoors and said he had the perfect hobby for me. He took me to play and I was hooked. Stopped doing drugs and started playing disc golf and haven't looked back. Thanks John.

Been throwing frisbees since I was a kid. Played object golf to trees and stuff for several years before I knew courses existed. A friend in HS took me out for my first official round. Gradually started playing after that.

My nephew introduced me to the sport when I was visiting. I thought it was pretty fun and later found out there was a course a few miles from my house.

In college in the 1980s. University of Southern Mississippi had a disc golf intramural tournament. My older brother was already there and playing, so I started. We were throwing Wham-O frisbees (the kind you would toss back and forth at the beach). After college, didn't play for years. Then I saw a note in the newspaper in Fort Worth about a 9-hole disc golf course opening near me. I checked it out and was hooked.

Brewery friend mentioned over shift beers that he and a friend were going to be heading down to Dellwood and if I wanted to join them. I had a DX shark I purchased the summer prior at Odell's, and they supplied a few discs for me to try to make good with.
I didn't suck. The course was obviously not going to let me down either since its Dellwood, and is still my favorite, so I stuck with it and now have way too many discs, a portable basket, and try and bring discs whenever I travel.

I had been trying to get a buddy into my former hobby. Of course, it wasn't his cup of tea, so...long story short, made a much needed change. Wife loves it, I get to spend time with my bro, it suits my personality. What's not to love?

Mid January 2019. I was 59 years old. My wife and I frequently walked Vista del Camino Park in Scottsdale, AZ. She pointed out the baskets one time and I said those are for frisbee(tm) golf and no one really plays it. **In my defense, we rarely saw anyone playing**. Then (mid Jan 2019), we went to the park on a Friday and it was PACKED with people playing. Same thing on Saturday, so I asked someone while they were waiting to tee off...what is going on? It was the Shelly Sharpe Memorial Tournament. In the short discussions (he was getting ready to tee off), he said to get a used putter and midrange and start playing. So I did. I found there was a course near where I lived and one thing led to another ... now I'm hooked on the sport. 75 discs (that's not counting the ones I've lost or given away), three bags (one I use the most, one sling bag I use for traveling or when I can't carry my backpack one, and one I got from a Discraft Ace Race and is still in the bag), 5 santioned tournaments, three unsanctioned, member of PDGA and a Certified Official, AND I've volunteered at the 2020 Shelly Sharpe and the 2020 Memorial tournaments. I've even written two articles for my community newsletter about disc golf.

It paired well with mind altering green stuff. Later, I discovered it is just as enjoyable without the green. Eventually, competitive nature took over now I want to be good.

This is copied and pasted directly from my DGCR profile. :)

"I actually played "target disc golf" in the early 80's using my trusty Whamo, 141g frisbee. My best friend and I didn't even know that an official game existed. We just loved to throw frisbees and our own game of disc golf was a total blast."

I wish that I could remember what par was to get from my house to the phone booth by the country store a mile down the road! :D

I was at a music festival in High School, and as usual, I had an ultimate lid. There was a temp course setup around the outskirts of the festival, and my friends and I decided to play. Almost had an ace on my second hole ever (granted, the layout was a temp layout for introducing people to the sport so it was quite short). Didn't play for a year, then played again my freshman year of college and played twice a week from then on for years.

First played object Frisbee golf with Wham-O Frisbees at the neighborhood pool around 1972. In other words, before disc golf existed. So I really should be better by now. :rolleyes:

First played disc golf in the early 1980s at Calvert Road. Started with Wham-O Frisbees but eventually picked up some real discs. But I was playing other sports so we got together for disc golf maybe once or twice a year.

Probably started playing regularly around late 1990s.

First started playing frisbee as a kid, circa 1967, in Hawaii and was enthralled with the flight of the disc. Just tossed frisbees recreationally until college in Virginia in the late 70s. Ultimate and disc golf were still in their infancy, so I never heard of either. How I wish I had heard of Guts, Freestyle, or Ultimate!
First played "frisbee golf" in 1979 at a Christian camp (Windy Gap in Weaverville NC) where you tossed a Whamo through hoops. When I got back to college (also in 1979) I designed the first frisbee gold course on the grounds of the University of Virginia, using Whamo frisbees with statues, poles, columns, and xerox copiers as targets.
In 1983 I played on my first disc golf course playing to poles at Colorado State U in Fort Collings CO. Was blown away when I saw a beveled edge disc golf disc for the first time. Bought a Super Puppy from The Wright Life.
In 1998 I played on my first course with baskets at Kentwood in Raleigh NC and was immediately and irrevocably hooked!

I had played a little with my cousin around 2005, but never got into it very much, then in 2011 a friend of mine got super into it while living in Oregon. I had just moved to a new area, was dealing with depression and could not afford to play traditional golf in the area I had just moved to.

He gave me a Roc and a Groove of all things and I shot half decent in my first round with a birdie on an easy hole. That was it. I was hooked and there was no return.

I have a biological son I didn't know existed until he was 33. on the day he and his wife finally met MY wife and I we had brunch. hours later the 4 of us played (he's WAY into it). been hooked since. yeah, it's a loooooooong story! :)

I have a brother in law that I really only saw around holidays. He started playing and invited me out one day. I wasn't overly interested in actually playing at first and did it more to spend a little time with him. I was pretty much hooked from the first time out.

Now my usual group includes that brother in law, another brother in law, a couple of my nephews, and one of their friends.

We have a group text and any time one of us decides to play everyone gets the invite. The whole group doesn't always make it but there's always one or two people willing to show up so I never have to play alone.