• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do events/tournaments work?

Dangeruss18

Im new to the sport and was wondering what to expect when local courses have tournaments and events. Do I need to register or how does it work? Do you have to keep score or do they have casual play, and get an event disc? Do I just show up and play with friends or will we be split up? Any information would be appriciated. Thanks in advance.

That's a lot of questions leading to a bookload of answers.

Assuming you mean sanctioned (or similar) tournaments, and not just local league play.....

Yes, you need to register. Some events fill up early. Most allow you to register on the morning of the event. It varies a lot depending on the popularity of a particular tournament but, one way or another, you have to register.

Most often, there is one scorecard for the 4 or 5 players who are grouped together, and they share duties. 1 person will record everyone's scores for 4 holes, then pass it along to the next, etc.

Most tournaments give you something, referred to a players package, for showing up. It may be a disc, or a shirt, or a voucher redeemable for the merchandise of your choice. Required for higher-tier events, but not all events.

Players compete in divisions based on skill level. Within that division, you will be grouped with other players on a random basis in the first round, then subsequent rounds you're grouped based on scores.

......Most places, clubs run weekly leagues of some kind. It may be random-draw doubles, or handicapped singles, or straight singles, or something else. This can be the best first-step into competition, as they tend to be less formal than actual tournaments, and connect you with the local scene.

For these, the answers to your questions are even more varied. Except that the ones I know of, don't have any kind of formal registration; you just give your name and pay before starting.

Club events can be a little more casual. However, all the rules still apply. The last event was 40 of us showing up and hour before the event. We registered, payed the 20 bucks, got an event disc, played the round and handed out trophies. Mother Earth Brewing gave out a free beer since it was their event.

This weekend the event is free. Show up and clean up the course, get a free disc, play a round of doubles and not sure how things will end.

Next month is a sanctioned event with all the glamour. 50 bucks gets you started and then everything DavidSauls covered is the way it works.

David also cover the league play stuff really well. I would start with the league stuff and work your way up as far as you want to go. Also, be sure you understand the core rules of the game. If your not sure about something, ask. League play is where you learn good and bad habits so getting a good start begins there.

Have fun.

Most tournaments initially group players by skill level (referred to as a division), then randomly within the division. Typical divisions for a small tournament are Open (for the pros), Advanced (the better amateurs), and Intermediate (everyone else). Usually there are separate divisions for men and women.

Prior to the start of a tournament is a player's meeting where the tournament director explains any and all special rules for the course, then hands out the score cards which show the members of the group and assign a starting hole. The groups then head out to their assigned holes and wait for the two minute warning (note that you can practice up until the two minute warning, but not after). After two more minutes comes the call to start -- and away you go.

......Most places, clubs run weekly leagues of some kind. It may be random-draw doubles, or handicapped singles, or straight singles, or something else. This can be the best first-step into competition, as they tend to be less formal than actual tournaments, and connect you with the local scene.

For these, the answers to your questions are even more varied. Except that the ones I know of, don't have any kind of formal registration; you just give your name and pay before starting.

I second the try league night. Each area may have a variety of choices outlined above. If you have several options I find random-draw doubles to be the best bet for a first experience. You'll get a partner to help walk you through the experience and guide you as needed.

Take it all with a grain of salt. I just ran a sanctioned event in which a lot of this didn't apply---players weren't grouped by score, no players pack, odd rules---because it was a team play tournament. About a half-dozen people were playing their first tournament, and I told them this was not what to expect in future tournaments.

A lot of good info and advice here so far. What I would suggest is rather than finding out when your next local league or tournament is and going to it with the information you gather here, contact the person running the event directly. Ask him/her how their event works. Every TD is different and has a different way of running one aspect or another. Better to ask and know for sure than assume and be surprised/disappointed.

Bottom line, and this really ought to apply to every event you (or anyone else) ever play...go into it with an open mind. Just because the first event you played did X (or a poster here said to expect X), doesn't mean every other event will do X as well.

Random doubles

I wanted to piggyback on this a bit because it seemed relevant. I want to go play random doubles at a few different courses here in Maine but feel super unprepared. I have played one of the the courses several times and recently played it at -9 (par is a bit generous there). I feel like I can hold my own but I have never played with anyone but friends and family who are pretty chill about rules and such.

If I just show up to a random doubles event how does it work? If I am significantly worse than the other people playing are they going to get annoyed? I know it varies but is it generally best disc and if my partner is really good I just end up playing their placement the whole time?

Any doubles advice would be great. I want to start playing in a league next year and thought this might be a good intro.

I wanted to piggyback on this a bit because it seemed relevant. I want to go play random doubles at a few different courses here in Maine but feel super unprepared. I have played one of the the courses several times and recently played it at -9 (par is a bit generous there). I feel like I can hold my own but I have never played with anyone but friends and family who are pretty chill about rules and such.

If I just show up to a random doubles event how does it work? If I am significantly worse than the other people playing are they going to get annoyed? I know it varies but is it generally best disc and if my partner is really good I just end up playing their placement the whole time?

Any doubles advice would be great. I want to start playing in a league next year and thought this might be a good intro.

Usually random doubles meets are a "Captain's Choice" style of play. So yes, generally pick the best disc. I've done this a lot in my local area and since it's not a PDGA sanctioned event or a serious tournament everyone is pretty chill. Let's be honest, if you go to a random doubles (which i'm assuming your word use of "random" means random drawn teams, not a random event) no one is there with serious expectations because they have no choice in the matter of their teammate.

And on the matter knowing the rules, just don't call anything on your opponents. Let them make the calls on you, if that's even expected in your doubles standard. Some of the random doubles events here are just local dudes who want someone to play with and just follow the major rules and regs, like foot faults and unplayables (which can be manipulated kind of strangely).

The disc golf community is such a friendly group of people who are usually willing to help out a bro (or sis) with tips and info so don't be nervous. Everyone out there is out there to do the same thing as you. Just have some fun! :thmbup:

I would absolutely recommend that you start off by playing in a few random draw doubles events. Jumping straight from casual play into a PDGA tournament can be jarring, given the focus on rules, etiquette, slower pace of play, etc. A weekly, local, random draw doubles tournament is a good go-between from casual to true tournament play. At doubles, the atmosphere is typically more relaxed and people are much happier to help out.

Typically, people at doubles are welcoming to beginners. They're glad to help out and will encourage you to keep coming back. Doubles is also one of the best ways to learn and get better. Occasionally there's a stick-in-the mud who is unhappy to be stuck with a newbie, but just ignore that guy; most of us are happy that you're there. The entry fee is only $5 or $7 ... no reason to get upset with that much money on the line. If I was paying $40 to get in and get paired with a total newbie, then I'd get a little grumpy.

Generally speaking, a random doubles tournament will be a captain's choice/best shot format. Both of you will tee, you'll pick the better lie, and both of you will throw from there. If you get partnered with a good player and end up taking most of his shots, don't worry about it.

A lot of the time doubles players will try to alternate shots. I tee first on even holes, you tee first on odd holes. If we end up taking my drive, you step up and take the first shot on the approach/putt. That's kind of the "default" behavior in doubles. However, when I get paired up with a newbie, I typically just tell him to go first every time. I let him go first to take pressure off him and put it on myself. I try to be confident in him ("go ahead and sink that putt, I'll be back here") but always shrug it off if he messes up ("no worries, I think I can back you up on that").

Show up half an hour early, tell the TD that it's your first time out at doubles, sit back, try to meet some people, have fun.

I agree a doubles league would be a good entry point, random are best. As said it's a good way to get your feet wet without being too focused on rules and pace, the casual atmosphere allows you to ask for advice from people too. I was very nervous my first doubles round, I knew a lot of people there, but was nowhere close to the same skill level. Got partnered with one of the better players in the area at the time, but what told me really put my mind at ease. "It's best shot, I can't blame you for my bad throws" He then ended up being nice and taking a few of my shots just because he had never had a disc land there and wanted to try a different line.

Latest posts