• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do I engage my hips?

Hustle

Bogey Member
Been playing about 2 years now, the past year has been just chronic back back from my job. Since I've injured my lower back it's been really hard for me to engage my hips. (Mind you I never really had good hips in my throw to begin with) Most rounds I'm really sore and I feel like I have adapted my current x-step to help avoid pain, and I feel like I cannot get my hips to engage, close, and then open. It's more of a lateral movement and that's it.

How do I engage my hips or change something to help engage my hips? If you guys see anything else up with my throw I'm all ears. Since this video I've lower the height a bit of how high my reach back and pull through are.

I see I'm not following through now. I seem to barely gather any momentum (which I feel I lack when I'm running up).

Yeah, you are really leaning back over your rear leg and twisting up everything instead of turning/pivoting everything more together through your hips and feet. Keep your rear arm pinned to your body, hand inside thigh all the way from backswing to finish. That will not only save your back, but should get you in better balance during the x-step and shift your weight more through upright posture, really help fix a lot things.

Check vids in link:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119328

Hi,

Hats off to you for being committed to improvement...

Definitely take my advice with a grain of salt and get lots more from more experienced throwers
but before you try to add any more oomph to your throw it looks like you should work on plant foot rotation after disc ejection. My worry is your knee is taking too much torque right now.
Practice tucking your left arm as soon as possible... it's slowing you down.

I like that your front leg is planted at full reach back, that was a key to 400 feet.:clap:

One thing I'm working on that I saw on your first throw is that you're leaning over your back leg on the reach back... watch McBeast and the other pros... they stay much more centered.

Keep on huckin'!

Josh:thmbup:

8HD7uNo.jpg

v6BkQjI.jpg

Over opening. Your head is leading your shoulders.

3lSKwVX.jpg

1 & 2. Bring the disc into the right pec, with the hand on the outside of the disc.
3. Come into the brace more closed, and keep your head basically following the disc. If you kept your eyes/head on the disc in that screen shot - you'd be looking the right direction (but keeping the chin up).
4. Toes down, heel down, weight shifts - which initiates the disc coming forward from the top of the backswing.

U3jHCUn.gif

check out how his head stays perpendicular to the line during the backswing, then stays locked in with the shoulders. The neck doesn't lead, it comes through with the shoulders.

I too have a lower back injury that I have been working around and I have been having a similar problem as you.

I rectified it by really making SURE that I keep my back foot up on the toe for every step in my x-step. It really helps me keep the weight forward and let my hips swing once I plant into the brace. Really a big breakthrough for me. Just focus on keeping your rear leg on its "tippy-toe".

Thank you all! Amazing how quick you can get help to work on your form the very next day. Very appreciated. My back feels really sore as of now so I'm thinking I should take a break for a week at least and then start back up in the field.

So you've all given me great pointers and insight, sidewinder posted those videos like he always does and then I watch em and sometimes they don't correlate very well for me. Maybe it covers it in one of those videos (still need to rewatch them).. but let's say I work more on getting my plant and stance closed off with a better weight shift, are my hips currently in an okay standing in terms of how much rotation you want to see from hips? Will my hips be fine if I'm closing my stance and in turn make my hips not as inefficient? I'm just wondering if there still needs to be work done with turning my forward hip away from the throw more to allow for more rotation after the reach back. Does fixing my stance in a way solve my hip problem?

Thanks in advance guys!

Your stance appears closed enough, but your front leg is not turned back enough/internally rotated when planting. You turn your front leg(hip) out when you plant, so there is nothing to resist your weight from spinning out past it until it's way too late(The Move part 2, resist, rise and release). Similarly in the rear leg, you are leaning over it(out of balance/posture) in the backswing, instead of turning your pelvis more internally into the rear hip/femur. (See power of posture above)

Latest posts