• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do I fill my bag without so much overlap?

matt79d

Par Member
I bought a DD Soldier bag about three months ago. It holds two putters in the front Mcpro Aviar (2015) and 18 in the bag portion.

Drivers:
Brinster Teebird (just bought it as my headwind/overstable driver)
Axiom Crave (S turn shots, but not as long as my leopard. But I can keep this disc lower than my Leopard for tight drives)
QJLS
Leopard (S shot drives, probably my longest disc right now)
River (a little more understable than my Leopard right now but is very similar)
Westside Underworld (Anhyzer drives)
MVP Inertia (supposed to be longer than my Crave.. but its about the same)

Mids:
Buzzz 0S
2014 McBeth Roc3
Z Buzzz
Buzzz SS
Mako3
2015 Mcbeth tour series Roc

Driving/upshot putter:
Envy

My favorite overstable mid is the OS, Z Buzzz has a reliable fade (which probably would fly similar as the 2015 tour series Roc) and I prefer the Mako3 as my stright/anhyzer mid..

Do I down size in molds and buy duplicates? I just dont want 7 discs flopped over in my gigantic bag (as silly as it may sound) :)

There's a simple solution to fixing the mid flopping issue; use the dividers the bag came with to fit those discs in the center of the bag.

I would definitely downsize your mids. The three disc combo you mentioned would probably work well, and you could even add in the Buzzz SS if it flies much more understable than the Mako3. Otherwise, I imagine the Roc3's are overlapping like crazy with the Buzzzes and Mako3.

As for the drivers, I'd probably go:

Brinster Teebird

Crave or QJLS

River or Leopard

Underworld

And then carry the Inertia to work with every now and then to see if you're getting some distance separation between it and your fairways.

You might also want to try adding a less overstable putter to complement the Envy. Right now I have a Vibram Summit paired with my Envy, and am planning on auditioning a Judge in that role as well. The Envy is a great disc, but it can be a bit overstable at times

Do you just want to fill your bag up? As sjberry suggested, you could simply adjust your bag to hold the discs tighter.

IMO, you don't need a ton of discs to be successful. A lot of folks carry many discs because they are cycling through discs of the same mold at various stages of wear. They may have, for example, three-four Rocs (just an example...many discs can be cycled) that cover a wide range of stabilities.

If you feel you are covering all of your shots with 7 discs, then I would suggest you just continue to roll with 7 discs. More discs just means more weight, which means a more uncomfortable round. I guess what I am saying is I wouldn't recommend buying more discs just to fill up your bag. Just my 2c.

There's a simple solution to fixing the mid flopping issue; use the dividers the bag came with to fit those discs in the center of the bag.

I would definitely downsize your mids. The three disc combo you mentioned would probably work well, and you could even add in the Buzzz SS if it flies much more understable than the Mako3. Otherwise, I imagine the Roc3's are overlapping like crazy with the Buzzzes and Mako3.

As for the drivers, I'd probably go:

Brinster Teebird

Crave or QJLS

River or Leopard

Underworld

And then carry the Inertia to work with every now and then to see if you're getting some distance separation between it and your fairways.

You might also want to try adding a less overstable putter to complement the Envy. Right now I have a Vibram Summit paired with my Envy, and am planning on auditioning a Judge in that role as well. The Envy is a great disc, but it can be a bit overstable at times

Great advice sir! I will try that out

Do you just want to fill your bag up? As sjberry suggested, you could simply adjust your bag to hold the discs tighter.

IMO, you don't need a ton of discs to be successful. A lot of folks carry many discs because they are cycling through discs of the same mold at various stages of wear. They may have, for example, three-four Rocs (just an example...many discs can be cycled) that cover a wide range of stabilities.

If you feel you are covering all of your shots with 7 discs, then I would suggest you just continue to roll with 7 discs. More discs just means more weight, which means a more uncomfortable round. I guess what I am saying is I wouldn't recommend buying more discs just to fill up your bag. Just my 2c.

Thank you

You didn't mention what kind of plastic your Leo is.

I bet a pro Leo beat up, a pro Leo fresh and a fresh star or champ cover your Leo/river/underworld shots. Maybe even your crave shots. Your overlap is pretty hefty on the understable side.

No input on the mids, except pick 3 and get used to them. You don't need so many. I'd go buzzz os, buzzz and buzzzz as or roc3/something workably understable/buzz os.

Or something. You could probably even get by with a mako3 and buzzz os.

How far are you throwing these? You may be even able to go with something like a roc3/ stingrays combo.

Regardless, pick 3. Tops.

Last edited:
^pretty much what he said. Lots of overlap in the understable driver dept. If a Leo is your longest disc right now, chances are good you haven't gotten all the kinks worked out yet. In that case, I'm less critical of carrying a lot of mids b/c some of them are arguably your best drivers at this stage. Try and figure out which mids are your faves though.

If you're just looking to fill empty spots in your bag without adding to overlap here are some suggestions:

1. OS driver (speed appropriate suggestion: Banshee)
2. Noodle-arm max D driver (UnLace, maybe one of those Fission MVP discs, Underworld or Inertia might work here)
3. Roller driver (grab a heavy DX Leo and beat it up)
4. lid (Polecat, Birdie, Rattler, etc)
5. Flippy midrange (Buzzz SS is US but not terribly so, like a Fuse or Tursas)

You didn't mention what kind of plastic your Leo is.

I bet a pro Leo beat up, a pro Leo fresh and a fresh star or champ cover your Leo/river/underworld shots. Maybe even your crave shots. Your overlap is pretty hefty on the understable side.

No input on the mids, except pick 3 and get used to them. You don't need so many. I'd go buzzz os, buzzz and buzzzz as or roc3/something workably understable/buzz os.

Or something. You could probably even get by with a mako3 and buzzz os.

How far are you throwing these? You may be even able to go with something like a roc3/ stingrays combo.

Regardless, pick 3. Tops.

Hey Koda, my leopard is a g* so I'm not sure how that compares to other plastics. Similar to star? Less stable than a champ?

My Leopard goes about 350 most of the time. All other drivers go about 330-350. My Buzzz goes about 320. Putters maybe 275?

I will probably try out:
Brinster Teebird
Qjls
leopard
underworld (maybe I can beat it in to a roller..)

Mids:
Buzzz OS
Z Buzzz (very predictable)
mako3
**I'll keep a 2015 tour series mcpro ROC in my bag.. Want to see if I will move away from the Buzzz eventually.

Putter
mcpro aviar
Envy (upshots and drives)

^pretty much what he said. Lots of overlap in the understable driver dept. If a Leo is your longest disc right now, chances are good you haven't gotten all the kinks worked out yet. In that case, I'm less critical of carrying a lot of mids b/c some of them are arguably your best drivers at this stage. Try and figure out which mids are your faves though.

If you're just looking to fill empty spots in your bag without adding to overlap here are some suggestions:

1. OS driver (speed appropriate suggestion: Banshee)
2. Noodle-arm max D driver (UnLace, maybe one of those Fission MVP discs, Underworld or Inertia might work here)
3. Roller driver (grab a heavy DX Leo and beat it up)
4. lid (Polecat, Birdie, Rattler, etc)
5. Flippy midrange (Buzzz SS is US but not terribly so, like a Fuse or Tursas)

Thanks Dave.

Yeah I'm not quite sure. One big problem is throwing nose up.. Another I feel is inconsistent snap. Maybe Ill upload a video this week for advice. Had a lesson a couple months back with Dan from Spinners. He didn't have much to say about form. Just practice practice.

One last thing I noticed from someone else's driving video is I tend to start my throw as my front foot is coming down, which is all upper body. I've been working on planting and coming through with my hips.

I'm 6'4 300. Figure I should be throwing a bit farthur.

Thanks for all of the advice!

Thanks Dave.

Yeah I'm not quite sure. One big problem is throwing nose up.. Another I feel is inconsistent snap. Maybe Ill upload a video this week for advice. Had a lesson a couple months back with Dan from Spinners. He didn't have much to say about form. Just practice practice.

One last thing I noticed from someone else's driving video is I tend to start my throw as my front foot is coming down, which is all upper body. I've been working on planting and coming through with my hips.

If you are looking to try out a new disc and work on form at the same time, you could try a Discraft Comet. I haven't personally used one (I probably should), but folks frequently recommend it as a great mid that can really help identify form issues.

If you are looking to try out a new disc and work on form at the same time, you could try a Discraft Comet. I haven't personally used one (I probably should), but folks frequently recommend it as a great mid that can really help identify form issues.

Yeh Buddy :clap:

Keep the Buzzz OS and the Mako3 and get yourself a Comet like disc for understable turnover duties (my personal favorite is a champ Panther). Get a straight flying putter, Pure/Judge?Aviar, there's a ton of them to chose from.

If you're getting the distance you say you are, there is no reason you can't bump up to a control driver. Maybe add a Valkyrie or CD. You have a lot of overlap in your fairway drivers, keep the Brinster and pick your favorite among the flippy discs and add a straight/stable disc. My personal favorites are the TL3 and Eagle.

And lastly, just because you have a bigger bag doesn't mean you have to fill it. I have a Soldier bag too and for the most part I use it for storage, I carry the discs I use most for field practice in it. When I play a round, I still use my Innova standard bag. Too many discs causes me lack of decision and as I tend to play more than one round, the added weight is a pain. Not to mention that every time I bend over to pick up a disc (when throwing extra shots) with the soldier bag, my putters fall out!

And lastly, this is a good read. Try the 4 disc round, it may be an eye opener. Was for me anyway.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32790

Thanks Dave.

Yeah, being bigger can kind of handicap us in the technique department b/c muscling the disc is practically the opposite of what you want to do. The best, short but sweet advice I can give you is figure out how to throw with your body instead of your arm. Weight transfer is HUGE. You don't hardly do anything but line the throw up until that front foot is planted and your weight is shifted over it. Once you get the feel of transferring your weight forward then you can fix the other things. Getting your weight forward will solve a lot of your nose up problems (nose up is largely a result of releasing with your weight back) but also make sure your wrist stays in the down position.

I can go into way more detail but it's late. But I'm happy to help you out anyway I can. :thmbup:

Yeah, being bigger can kind of handicap us in the technique department b/c muscling the disc is practically the opposite of what you want to do. The best, short but sweet advice I can give you is figure out how to throw with your body instead of your arm. Weight transfer is HUGE. You don't hardly do anything but line the throw up until that front foot is planted and your weight is shifted over it. Once you get the feel of transferring your weight forward then you can fix the other things. Getting your weight forward will solve a lot of your nose up problems (nose up is largely a result of releasing with your weight back) but also make sure your wrist stays in the down position.

I can go into way more detail but it's late. But I'm happy to help you out anyway I can. :thmbup:

Thanks brother. I'm starting to see better results after a few round practicing my weight transfer. I'm throwing lower and more on target. Just changed to a power grip (was using a modified fan grip) and feel like I am able to get much more snap without losing much accuracy if any at all.

Latest posts