• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do I get a good slice?

bfaslewis

I'm a righty, so typically my throws finish with a hook to the left; how do I go about throwing the disc so it slices to the right? I've seen discs that are specifically labeled as "slice," but do they work or is it more in my throw? I ask because when there is a hole that is a dog-leg right, I never know how to approach it because my disc will usually go the wrong way.

The 'slice,' Anhyzer, or even Annie, you speak of is achieved by releasing the disc with the left edge slightly higher than your grip (your elbow is lower). It also requires a higher release point. Think of it this way: as a RHBH if your pull starts low and finishes high the disc 'hooks' right to left. If your pull is flat the disc flys straight and fades natural depending on the stability of the disc. If the pull starts high and finishes low it will Annie. If you combine this high to low pull and release with an understable disc like a Sidewinder, believe me, it'll go left to right. Once you learn the feel, and I say try it with your putter as an approach shot first, you can vary the stability of the disc for 'S' turning back right to left downrange. The other option would be add a forehand shot to your game, at least for that hole.

I read your post and thought I understood it. You explained exactly what I needed to do, but for some reason I just can't put it into practice. I seem to think that it's working but it still hooks left at the end. Or I do get the exact result but sacrifice distance (when it does go correctly, I seem to only throw it half as far as I typically do).

As for your forehand suggestion, I accidentally did that very thing today. I'm not real sure how I accomplished it. Usually I use the forehand when I'm behind a tree, with mixed results. But today when I threw my disc it flew straight and finished to the right, which was perfect on that hole.

I have been looking into buying a understable disc, perhaps I'll try the sidewinder, as you've suggested. Thanks for you help and sorry it took so long to post back but I haven't been out too many times since I asked, and I wanted to try it more than once before responding.

I'm not going to tell you to avoid learning the forehand b/c everyone should learn and refine it (including me). Let me suggest two options. First, the thumber. If you throw an overhand thumber the disc will fade left (unless you're a monster and can make it barrelroll). Secondly, get an understable disc. Think about what discs you throw and how they fly. For sake of ease I'll stick with Innova discs as they have easy to understand ratings.

The speed rating of the disc is how fast (also amount of spin) you must throw the disc in order to make it fly the way it was designed.

SPEED/SPIN:
Throwing a disc too slowly/not hard enough will make the disc bahave more overstable which means less high speed turn (I'll say "turnover") and more fade. Throwing a disc too hard means more turnover.

NOSE:
Keeping the disc's nose down will make the disc fly correctly. Tilting the nose up will allow more air under the disc, slow it down and make it fade more.

If you're throwing your disc flat/nose-down and it's flying more overstable than the picture on the Innova page then you're not throwing hard enough. (Let's use the TL as an example.) Brand new, that disc should fly straight as an arrow until the very end (when throwing it at a "speed" of 7). If you're throwing that off the tee and it is turning over during it's flight (right) then you're throwing too hard and you should go up to a faster disc. If it is fading a lot then you should throw a slower disc. I hope this makes sense.

I wish I knew what you are currently throwing. If you're throwing a Valkyrie and it's NOT turning over don't make the mistake of thinking a Sidewinder will. A more understable disc will help you to throw straighter if all your discs fade but think of it like this. If you can throw with speed/spin of 7 at most then a Sidewinder (which should be flying out to the right) might simply fly straight for you. There's nothing wrong with that but if you REALLY want to turn right your answer is to yes, buy an understable disc but it should also be within your arm speed and possibly slower. Try driving with a Stingray. If that disc only goes straight then try something slower like a Wolf.

Now, to turn a disc to the right while throwing flat either throw a "slower" disc harder or a more understable disc alreaady within your power. I'd bet angel of release is what you should work on more than anything. Lots of new players throw far too high. Keep it chest-level as much as you can.

As you can see I'm more than happy to expound on this for hours so PM me or post here again if you'd like more info and if you do please let me/us know what discs you throw.

Understable off the shelf

For new players who are looking for that right hand turn, unstable discs at lower weights will help as well. If you are still having problems, look at an Optimizer by Innova. This disc will go right even for the least amount of effort and doesn't fade back left at all.

There are a few things that you can do to get a right turning shot, or "anhyzer".

1. Throw an understable disc: Avenger SS, Roadrunner, Express, Sidewinder, XS, TL, Wolf, Stingray, Glide, Meteor, Comet, Buzzz, XL

2. Release the disc with the left wing above the right, so the disc is pointing down and to the right.

3. Throw with more snap: the more snap given to a disc (esp. and understable one), the more it will turnover and go to the right.

All discs will eventually fade right (rhbh), if given enough time to slow down, but the things above will make a right turning shot easier.

Last edited:
Note...increased snap/spin will not help a disc turn-over! More spin only stabilizes the disc and makes it difficult to turn, no matter if it is right or left. This is simple physics.

Off the top of my head, there are 5 potential elements to making a disc turn right...

1. Anhyzer. Release the left edge up for RHBH throws, setting up the disc to already turn/roll right. This can be accomplished by a slight downward motion on the forward part of the throw, which makes your wrist bend slightly up and lifts the outside edge of the disc prior to the snap/release. I've also seen players lean back slightly instead, pointing their chests slightly higher in the air. Try something along these lines, and it'll start turning right almost immediately.

2. Nose down. A nose down release pitch to the disc causes the tail of the disc to have more aerodynamic lift than the front of the disc, which induces a torque that causes the RHBH thrown disc to turnover/roll even further to the right. (A spinning gyro-top toy works the same way, with gravity instead of air supplying the torque.) I usually get the nose down a tad further by orienting my thumb slightly down during the entire throw. The above-mentioned slight downward motion of the disc during the throw can also help get the nose down.

3. Speed. The aerodynamic torque-roll effect described for #2 is stronger when you throw at higher speeds. The faster you throw RHBH, the more the disc will roll right. (Note that big arm throwers need an overstable disc or more snap/spin to prevent catastrophic turnover/right roll.)

4. Under-stable disc. An under-stable disc has more natural tail lift relative to nose lift and will tend to roll right by gyro-precession action all on its own when thrown the same way as a more over-stable disc. (Under-stable discs can be identified by sight as having a larger central flat area on the upper surface, as opposed to a big curvey-dome-like shape with no/little flat patch at the center. In the most under-stable discs, like the Stratus, the flat central part of the upper surface covers most of the disc area out to nearly the edge. In more over-stable discs, like the Wraith, there is almost no flat patch at all in the center of the upper surface.)

5. Less snap/spin. While not recommended, for stability's sake, less spin can actually help a disc roll right (or left) by reducing its angular momentum, or resistance to turning by torque. Less spin means less aerodynamic torque is required during flight to make it roll over further.

I would strongly emphasize 1-4, and avoid fiddling with 5. Getting and maintaining a good snap is always a good idea, and as you can see from the above list there are many other factors can be adjusted to make a disc fly the way you would like without messing up your release.

Note that if you take the above elements to the extreme, the disc will turn all the way over sideways, drop to the ground, and become a roller...these kinds of shots can also be very useful.

Try it out, and have fun!

I've found the best discs for shots that go straight and fall off to the right at a given time are beat up versions of stable discs in low end plastic. They have the least amount of fade and are the easiest to control when and how much they turn over. Something like a beat up DX Valkyrie, beat up DX Gazelle or beat up DX Roc will be much easier to control and predictable than a disc that starts off understable out of the box.

Experimenting with throwing anhyzer or controlling a turnover that starts on a hyzer will give you lots of different lines and options.

i think you know how to do it you just need a stronger wrist and grip which will come with practice. you should get to the point where you can throw a disc "normally" and it will have enough spin to turn over - thats one way to do it. the other is to start the disc with an anhyzer which just requires you to arch your back over more.

If you want a disc that turns right, a beat DX Stingray is the best. Once they get beat, it is hard to make them go left. They always want to go right.

With the caveat that I'm pretty new at this stuff, what I've generally found is that throwing an anheiser will start the disc to the right, but if it is in the air long enough for the spin to slow enough, it will revert to fading to the left.

Using an unstable disc will yield the same result. It will start to the right, but if it stays up long enough, it will fade to the left.

The forehand (or left handed) throw will leave you with a fade to the right, at the end.

I believe it has to do with the direction of the spin, but don't understand the physics of it... and would like to. ;)

Your discs continue to turn left at the end because they are OVERSTABLE. You will have to have an UNDERSTABLE disc to get it to turn right. After years of throwing than you might be able to get an overstable disc to "Turn over".

Also don't take offense at this: Slice and Hook refer to Ball Golf.

Anhyzer and Hyzer are for Disc Golf.

Pardon for joining this thread a little late, but I think sidearm throws are being a little neglected here. If you're right handed, throwing a flat side arm throw with an overstable disc (Xcaliber and Starfire in particular), it will naturally fade right at the end.

Also, if you throw anhyzer back hand, it might curve right, but if it lands before it levels off, guess what, it's gonna roll, and a good chance it'll go left. Just something to consider.

Pardon for joining this thread a little late, but I think sidearm throws are being a little neglected here. If you're right handed, throwing a flat side arm throw with an overstable disc (Xcaliber and Starfire in particular), it will naturally fade right at the end.

Also, if you throw anhyzer back hand, it might curve right, but if it lands before it levels off, guess what, it's gonna roll, and a good chance it'll go left. Just something to consider.

I agree, my favorite way to slice is to forarm an overstable disc.

Sidearm's a great shot to have in the arsenal for those right-turners. Beat-up cheap stable-understable plastic works well too. I have an old beat up DX Leopard that always banks predictably right if thrown with any force, it's one of the most valuable discs in my bag.

Latest posts