• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do I pick a putter?

LoPan12

Double Eagle Member
So I've been playing for four months or so now. I still can't decide which putter I like better. Whats the best way to find which putter is best for you?

I've currently been trying a Soft Ion. I also have a Soft Magnet, Glo Wizard, and ESP Focus...
HELP!

I know you can't help specifically without seeing me putt. But what's a good method of finding the best putter for me?

Try out a bunch & see ya what like. That being said, Aviar, APX, Magnets, & Magics seem to popular for beginners. The only real way to find out is to try 'em out.

The only thing is, I've only got one of each, and putt-retrieve repeat X times gets annoying and frustrating, and as a result, I don't putt consistently... :/ I guess I just gotta suck it up and go.
The thing is, I've taken different ones out on rounds, but I quickly adjust to each one, so I can't tell if I'm liking one better than the other. DOH!

Since you only have one of each, I'd just play rounds with one for a couple of weeks, month, whatever, log your scores and keep track of your putts, then switch to another putter and repeat.

Im really new too... I just started playing in July. I have been using an aviar ever since I started but I went to Disc Nation in Austin about a week ago and felt all of the putters I could. I ended up buying a SSS Magic. I love the way it feels. So far it has worked great for both putts and approaches.

I really dont know it if will be better for me than the avair but I guess I am going to assume it will. Since I know it feels good in my hands I will keep practicing with it and just make myself get good with it. I guess just pick one and run with it.

Last edited:
The only thing is, I've only got one of each, and putt-retrieve repeat X times gets annoying and frustrating, and as a result, I don't putt consistently... :/ I guess I just gotta suck it up and go.
The thing is, I've taken different ones out on rounds, but I quickly adjust to each one, so I can't tell if I'm liking one better than the other. DOH!

It happens, just keep tryin' 'em out & sooner or later one will click w/ ya. I'm pretty partial to Gateway Wizards myself, but that's just me.:thmbup:

I finally quit trying to figure it out, and just stuck to my magnet. I didn't notice a huge difference between any of them, so I figured it was probably just as easy to just pick one, and learn it, and since Frank D told me how awesome brand loyalty is, I picked the one I had that was Discraft.

mmmm...i figured. Damn. lol. Do SSS Wizards fly different than Glo wizards? I Like soft putters...and I think I might like the wizard...so I was thinking of giving that a shot in october...

When it comes to putting it's more about you than the putter you are using. All putters are close to the same. If you believe the putter you are using is the best, then it is.

mmmm...i figured. Damn. lol. Do SSS Wizards fly different than Glo wizards? I Like soft putters...and I think I might like the wizard...so I was thinking of giving that a shot in october...

No. They break in differently but fly the same when new. The only flight differences are when they contact things, like when they land the softer they are the more prone they are to sticking where they land, and when they hit trees they absorb the impact more than stiff ones.

Sometime when you've got a lot of free time, just spend a day comparing them. Pick one, go throw some putts, approach shots and drives, note anything you particularly like / dislike about it, then repeat with the others. Driving and approaching with a putter makes the differences much more obvious, because close to the basket where most think to use a putter it doesn't make much of a difference. Technique will matter a lot more on a putt.

Last edited:
Yeah, my putting didn't stop sucking until I stuck with one mold (Magic). Now I'm just mildly bad.

When you putt with the same disc over and over, it makes it a lot easier to tell if it's you or the disc that's misbehaving

And another line of thinking would be to find a putter that is VERY common, in a cheap plastic and regular weight. I use a 173g Pro-D Magnet. They cost about $8 and I keep several of them in 173g that I practice with. Of all of the discs I throw, I think that this one is the single most important disc to keep exactly the same, every time.

Whatever fits well in your hand. I love the Voodoo. The main thing is to pick ONE putter and stick with it. Changing your putters often will not make you a better putter, it is practice. I have seen too many players constantly changing their putters thinking it will make them a better player, but usually not.

And another line of thinking would be to find a putter that is VERY common, in a cheap plastic and regular weight. I use a 173g Pro-D Magnet. They cost about $8 and I keep several of them in 173g that I practice with. Of all of the discs I throw, I think that this one is the single most important disc to keep exactly the same, every time.

Good points, but one thing I'd like to add is if you can pick a putter that's available in a variety of plastics, that's even better. Star / Champ / Evo / Z etc. can be nice for a driving putter that might take a few tree hits per round, while baseline or soft baseline plastics tend to be superior for putting putters.

Also when you find the mold you want, try out a couple of different weights too.

go to the putter tree and see if there are any wizards or magics growing on it. if so, pick them!!! if you don't like them apples, go back after next season and pick some more...

Latest posts