• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do we help grow Disc Golf?

I've only been playing four years now, but have been involved in pretty much every aspect i could, in an area blessed with a wide range of courses. IMHO, I think we best help grow the sport by continually reminding ourselves to be the best ambassadors for it that we can. If you play anywhere near non-players, courtesy and patience has to prevail. If a family is in the park and watching you, be friendly, offer to explain what you're doing. Let the kids throw a putter a couple of times. If they express an interest in trying it out, give them a tip on where to find a cheap starter set of discs, or, if you're like most folks who've played tourneys for a while, you might even have an old disc you've outgrown that you could give them.

Understand that there are courses best suited to casual play, and those better for tournament play. If you've evolved to be a reasonably competitive player, and partake in a lot of tourneys or weekly leagues, doubles, etc., remember: you are actually in the minority. Those 'pitch and putts' that are always crowded (so you don't go there often), are crowded, because they're fun for a casual player, or for a dating couple, or... other reasons than just competing.

Yes, we need to have options for women, juniors, and even seniors, to enjoy the game that's within their reach, without feeling patronized. It's not all about always building the most challenging competition-worthy course, but to appeal to a wide range of players. Ever notice that successful ski (whitewater rafting, etc.) areas have rated difficulty levels? An ideal DG complex would have two or three courses geared to different skill sets. My dream setup would have each course with at least two tees, so folks can step up in challenge or play with friend at different skill levels.

Finally, the best way to grow the sport is definitely to remain positive, volunteer to help out with the things you can, and never criticize anything you wouldn't be willing to take on yourself. :thmbup:

Pay to play may become more prominent as an effect of a popularity increase, but help me to understand how it will be an agent of change?

A horse drawn cart caused an accident and in result blocked the road. People were gathering trying to figure out how to fix the mess because nobody on either side could get through. The people began to get more frantic with each minute and the unorganized commotion was becoming an obstruction in itself. At this point one man noticed a wise man coming down the street and he was almost at the previous intersection. He said to the others, "The wise man is coming, when he arrives he will know what to do."

When the wise man reached the intersection before the accident he turned and went down a different road.

There are only about 5 women who regularly post on this site. So, yes, you are both very welcome here, yet very rare indeed. :)

^I have to chuckle a bit when I am by myself on a course, and a group of guys see me playing. They all look at me like I am some rare/endangered species! I get a good laugh out of it.

I have to disagree, who has ever been to a park and thought, wow I might have to try that, those guys have crisp looking polo shirts on and look so professional? . . . I've found rec level players and casual golfers are way more up for things like Ript, glow golf, or mixing red/blue tees, or doing obstacle/pole hole temp golf since they aren't worried about their tag number, rating, or payout just enjoying the day.

You're missing the forest for the trees. Growing the sport takes community buy in. It takes city parks departments that are willing to spend their limited resources on course upkeep. It takes neighbors around the parks that feel like a DG Course can be a good neighbor. It takes creating an approachable, respectable, respectful atmosphere not just for those who might want to give the game a try, but for those too who might just say "Those folks seems like they are taking care of the park and having fun out there" and then lend their support to the sport, the community, and more courses.

For the record, I play 95% of my rounds alone, not caring about my score or my rating or my tag #. But I carry a plastic bag to pick up other people's trash. And I give old DX plastic to anyone who expresses an interest.

Part of being a good neighbor is keeping your yard clean. The better we can present our sport, the more parents will encourage their kids to play, and show up to support courses at city planning meetings. When we get youth soccer level buy in from parents (parents who are comfortable with their kids walking around our courses) you will see this sport grow exponentially. What are you, still bitter that your mom made you wear a collar shirt to the family picnic?

Basically, be an ambassador and good neighbor. Every little bit helps.

Pay to play may become more prominent as an effect of a popularity increase, but help me to understand how it will be an agent of change?

There will be increased buy in from private landowners and public land managing agencies if they can see money come IN the door from disc golf, instead of just going out. If a parks department can see disc golf as a way to grow upkeep and improvement revenue, you will see more public courses. If private landowners see and opportunity to make a few bucks, you'll see more private courses going in. When companies see money to be made on the sport, you will see advertising dollars and tournament sponsorships.

Money will grow the sport, for good or ill.

Isolate the people always complaining about how expensive playing tournaments are and have more trophy only events for Ams with no players packs where the entry fees go to a reserve account for the local club to have funds to contribute to build new courses. Many dgers (some I know do not pay much if any property taxes) are always griping about how municipalities should fund all courses with no funds from the local clubs. Also have people with social skills and contacts with decision makers involved in the process. I know of two courses that should have been built over the years but the wrong person or people were involved not realizing others had relationships with decision makers.

Isolate the people always complaining about how expensive playing tournaments are and have more trophy only events for Ams with no players packs where the entry fees go to a reserve account for the local club to have funds to contribute to build new courses. Many dgers (some I know do not pay much if any property taxes) are always griping about how municipalities should fund all courses with no funds from the local clubs. Also have people with social skills and contacts with decision makers involved in the process. I know of two courses that should have been built over the years but the wrong person or people were involved not realizing others had relationships with decision makers.

I disagree. You will end up chasing away Am players from playing tournaments when they realize you want to use them as fund raisers. One model that seems to work in this area is to run leagues during the week and $1 or $2 of the entry fee for everyone goes to the club.

There will be increased buy in from private landowners and public land managing agencies if they can see money come IN the door from disc golf, instead of just going out. If a parks department can see disc golf as a way to grow upkeep and improvement revenue, you will see more public courses. If private landowners see and opportunity to make a few bucks, you'll see more private courses going in. When companies see money to be made on the sport, you will see advertising dollars and tournament sponsorships.

Money will grow the sport, for good or ill.

This model may work in some areas of the country and not others. In our area, county and state parks are approaching clubs to install courses, not the other way around. The only thing they ask in return is help installing the courses (sometimes) and sponsors to buy the baskets. The state parks have an entry fee during the summer, but before 9:00 and after 6:00 pm it is free. They take care of cutting grass, etc. Our courses would rival the most of the pay for play courses in the country. In terms of upkeep and quality of golf.

If you haven't noticed, private ball golf clubs are closing down at an alarming rate. Municipal courses are much more stable than private courses as well in terms of longevity and commitment. Since public parks exist for the recreation and benefit of the community at large, disc golf fits in well with goals. Private clubs exist for the purposes of the owner, who can sell or close at a moments notice since the motivating factor is $$. Unless you have a wealthy benefactor who loves disc golf, I don't see how the pay to play model is viable for the future of our sport.

You're missing the forest for the trees. Growing the sport takes community buy in. It takes city parks departments that are willing to spend their limited resources on course upkeep. It takes neighbors around the parks that feel like a DG Course can be a good neighbor. It takes creating an approachable, respectable, respectful atmosphere not just for those who might want to give the game a try, but for those too who might just say "Those folks seems like they are taking care of the park and having fun out there" and then lend their support to the sport, the community, and more courses.

For the record, I play 95% of my rounds alone, not caring about my score or my rating or my tag #. But I carry a plastic bag to pick up other people's trash. And I give old DX plastic to anyone who expresses an interest.

Part of being a good neighbor is keeping your yard clean. The better we can present our sport, the more parents will encourage their kids to play, and show up to support courses at city planning meetings. When we get youth soccer level buy in from parents (parents who are comfortable with their kids walking around our courses) you will see this sport grow exponentially. What are you, still bitter that your mom made you wear a collar shirt to the family picnic?

Basically, be an ambassador and good neighbor. Every little bit helps.

Good post sir. I think you are right on the money. If we want the sport to grow it first has to be excepted by the general public. So yes we all should strive to be good ambassadors of the sport. Keep in mind people are slow to give praise but quick to complain if they see a problem. If a public park gets too many complaints a course will get shut down. By the way parks departments from neighboring towns talk to each other. If the parks dept. in one town finds their DG course to be a PITA for them all the surrounding town's PDs will hear about it.

In that light here is a short list of don'ts:

Don't litter.
Don't vandalize park property. Use pens and sharpies to mark score cards and discs not benches and buildings.
Don't use foul language within ear shot of other park patrons.
Don't play sloppy drunk or stoned.
Don't throw on or otherwise abuse clueless park users who may not realize that they are standing/sitting/walking their dog etc. in the middle of a playing field. Politely explain the situation to them instead.

Which brings some things we can do to promote good will and promote growth:

DG clubs could host free family and kid friendly events aimed at introducing newbies to DG.
DG clubs could host a park clean up day. By the way local newspapers and radio will often allow free advertising for these types of events and it's a great way to get positive exposure.
Maybe talk to local school athletic departments to offer assistance in starting a DG program at the school.

I'm sure there is plenty other things we could do if we put our minds to it.

Install courses in Central Park, Prospect Park, Griffith Park and on the west side of Los Angeles, maybe somewhere on the southern side of the Santa Monica Mountains.

Stop squandering opportunities to exploit celebrities who already play disc golf and love it: Bubba Watson, Paul Walker (RIP), Mark Salling, etc.

And I agree with the previous posts about disc golfers cleaning themselves up. Most parents don't want their young kids hanging out anywhere near many of the slobs I see playing disc golf - and I certainly count myself among the slobs. I know my brother won't let his young son come out to play a round with me because of what my brother has seen on the course. And he's not some high-faulting lawyer type either. He's a welder.

Now, I know that as people disc golfers aren't any better or worse than anyone else out there. But I don't have young kids.

Good post sir. I think you are right on the money. If we want the sport to grow it first has to be excepted by the general public. So yes we all should strive to be good ambassadors of the sport. Keep in mind people are slow to give praise but quick to complain if they see a problem. If a public park gets too many complaints a course will get shut down. By the way parks departments from neighboring towns talk to each other. If the parks dept. in one town finds their DG course to be a PITA for them all the surrounding town's PDs will hear about it.

In that light here is a short list of don'ts:

Don't litter.
Don't vandalize park property. Use pens and sharpies to mark score cards and discs not benches and buildings.
Don't use foul language within ear shot of other park patrons.
Don't play sloppy drunk or stoned.
Don't throw on or otherwise abuse clueless park users who may not realize that they are standing/sitting/walking their dog etc. in the middle of a playing field. Politely explain the situation to them instead.

Which brings some things we can do to promote good will and promote growth:

DG clubs could host free family and kid friendly events aimed at introducing newbies to DG.
DG clubs could host a park clean up day. By the way local newspapers and radio will often allow free advertising for these types of events and it's a great way to get positive exposure.
Maybe talk to local school athletic departments to offer assistance in starting a DG program at the school.

I'm sure there is plenty other things we could do if we put our minds to it.

Is sloppy stoned even a thing? Or are you saying you can play while drinking and or tipsy/drunk but not sloppy drunk or stoned at all?

Is sloppy stoned even a thing? Or are you saying you can play while drinking and or tipsy/drunk but not sloppy drunk or stoned at all?

I think all his suggestions were very good and self-explanatory.

There is sloppy drunk and then there is stoned, but I think you know this already Red.

The degree of buzz that is acceptable varies depending on at which point you become an A**hole. In your case that may require little if any drink or dope. :D

Latest posts