• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do we help grow Disc Golf?

Viridisk

How about we start with becoming a Title Sponsor at our local disc golf event that promotes competition for new players?

And then covering the pros and their new challengers!

Presenting the First Ever 2015 Crazy Beaver sponsored by Viridisk. Hope you like it!

Looks like it was a lot of fun.
Would love to play the course, now that I've seen it on video a few times.

Great job, guys and girls of Viridisk!

Looks like it was a lot of fun.
Would love to play the course, now that I've seen it on video a few times.

Great job, guys and girls of Viridisk!

Thanks! It's a fun mid-difficulty course! Hard but not punishing. And the even better Squaw Creek Gold is just 20 minutes away!

with lots of water and plenty of manure

- - - - - - -

nice vid, keep up the good work!

What? It isn't with coals smelting raw iron ore into steel then wrought them into tiny little links?

By playing with respect and courtesy for other players and everyone else sharing our parks, picking up our trash, and leaving our parks nicer than we find them.

That'll pretty much do it.

By playing with respect and courtesy for other players and everyone else sharing our parks, picking up our trash, and leaving our parks nicer than we find them.

Other than discs I lose to shrub trolls and fish, I've never left real trash there, always let people play through if we got a big group and picked up more trash then I've ever put in.

However lately it's been hard to just find time to get on a course and play. :(

Viridisk, loved the footage and the presentation, thanks for your hard work.

I am curious if you will be putting the first round up? If I remember correctly, there were several holes that were filmed with the drone in the air. I'd love to see some of that footage.

:clap::clap: :clap::clap: :clap::clap: :clap::clap: :clap::clap:

With 5037 courses in the US alone....I would say the sport has grown tremendously...some courses are already overcrowded....

with that being said...I try and introduce the game to new throwers, I have brought 5 or 6 new throwers to the game, and provided them with a DX starter set of old discs I don't use anymore or found discs with no ink, some stick with it, some give it up....it can be intimidating to a Newb when throwing with experienced players....one guy we brought out (younger guy, ex-marine), had the unreasonable expectation that he would be able to hang with us "old guys"(everyone in our "group" is at least 50 or older)...when he realized he couldn't, he quit after 9 holes...

Its more like how do we get more respect....

As I've said it before, DG the Rodney Dangerfield of sports, "just can't get no respect."

How about from time to time, put on a pair of Khakis and where a collared shirt.

Yeah I like comfort of the hippie look too but come on if you're at a tourney take it up a notch. This applies for some of the spectators as well!

Agreed on the collar. You don't see McBeth playing in torn tee-shirts and flip-flops. Invest in a couple drifit polos and wear them. It matters. Remember that we are usually asking our neighbors to share our parks with us, and spend their tax dollars on our courses. Pleases and thank yous -- common courtesy -- goes a long way.

Last edited:
... I am too new to this to know how to do it, but if there were ways to make it more family friendly ... better groomed/more open courses conducive to more women/girls playing, where they aren't getting eaten by bugs and walking through fairways with knee high grass ...

... yes, I have not been at this long, and most have forgotten more than I will ever know about D/G, but I think you first need to establish what the target market is for that growth ... is it just a matter of more 'bodies' playing, or is there a need to change the image a bit to appeal to a wider variety of lifestyles? ...

Great stories and good conversations guys. But how we feel the sport is going to grow is pretty much: "Every little bit helps". More bodies mean more money into the sport and that circles around as more money gets into it eventually there will be a large enough GDP to support things like better trimmed courses, better everything. As someone mentioned about attire, we completely agree and have already made note that all future tournaments we sponsor will have a dress code.

How do we help grow Disc Golf?
#1 = Concentrate much more effort into the future of our sport (kids, women, beginners).
#2 = Stop being so close minded in regards to paying for what you get, P2P is the future of DG. The more DGer's that stop fighting it, and embrace it, the quicker we will see better courses, and more growth.

Agreed on the collar. You don't see McBeth playing in torn tee-shirts and flip-flops. Invest in a couple drifit polos and wear them. It matters. Remember that we are usually asking our neighbors to share our parks with us, and spend their tax dollars on our courses. Pleases and thank yous -- common courtesy -- goes a long way.

I have to disagree, who has ever been to a park and thought, wow I might have to try that, those guys have crisp looking polo shirts on and look so professional? I mean ultimate and other sports like skateboarding are bigger than disc golf and most people organize locally and play casually dressed. The whole point of disc golf was to be a cheaper and more casual alternative to ball golf, I mean with golf bags getting into the hundreds and people buying their own baskets and dozens of discs, you might as well go just go play regular golf. Of course McBeth doesn't wear flip flops or polo's, he gets sponsored to win, that gear is great if you want to win and keep your feet in good shape through multiple rounds, but most people don't play strict and don't care if they win or even keep a score and they don't know or care who Mcbeth or Climo or Doss or Nikko are. The best thing is to emphasize how fun disc golf is, talk to the companies and do more things like Aces Races, Trilogy Challenges, etc, lets people get their feet wet with better players, players pack includes discs to help them build a bag, and brings variety to the game. I've found rec level players and casual golfers are way more up for things like Ript, glow golf, or mixing red/blue tees, or doing obstacle/pole hole temp golf since they aren't worried about their tag number, rating, or payout just enjoying the day.

^^^^^ Typical casual vs competitive play divide. I agree for the most part and the only thing I can add is I've never witnessed the more serious players (with those crisp shirts or high dollar bags, etc) carry around a cooler of beer, smoking pot, etc, while playing disc golf. However I continue to see casual players on the disc golf course drinking beer, smoking pot, etc, etc. I'm guessing all it takes is one time for a family (new to disc golf) walking the course to see someone drinking beer, smoking pot, etc, on the course to get a lifetime of bad vibes from disc golf.

... I am too new to this to know how to do it, but if there were ways to make it more family friendly ... better groomed/more open courses conducive to more women/girls playing, where they aren't getting eaten by bugs and walking through fairways with knee high grass ...

^Agree with making courses more conducive to the female population. I don't necessarily agree with making courses conducive where they are more open, so we aren't eaten by bugs or walking through fairways with knee high grass. I can definitely handle that. I was telling my boyfriend that they should make "ladies' tees" like they do in ball golf. Either that or allow us to have a different par number (i.e., hole 1 is a par 3; however for ladies, it is a par 4). Then again, there are times where I am starting to throw the same distance or farther than my boyfriend. I just want a reason to get a better score than him! :p

With that being said, am I the only woman on this website?! I have played games with a few women, but none of them are as serious about the game as I am. This just goes to show that maybe we do need more females playing the sport to help further growth and development.