• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do you deal with the Winter?

Yeah I was thinking about the fan aspect, but I don't have a big fan, and its probably not worth the money for it, plus Marshall st is getting the next money I get.

For you southern californians, one - I'm jealous. Two - Im thinking about going to school in California, specifically UCSB, do they have any good courses around there, if you know where their campus is?

You wouldn't be all that far from Casitas, one of my favorite courses. Also, SB is in a good location for day tripping into LA where there are some good courses, or up north toward santa cruz.

I deal with winter by playing as much as possible anyway. I throw a lot of superclass rounds so I don't have to carry a bunch of stuff and my disc doesn't go under the snow. The right gear and you can stay warm and dry in just about any weather. I'll take cold and snow over muddy any day.

I love winter! Nobody is out on the course, its almost like I have private courses every where.

Yup! I played some today and hooked up with a couple guys I know. Nice sunny 30ish today at the NJ/NY border. We finished the round and then made up some really cool safari holes. Can't do that on a July weekend! Well you could but you'd have enemies.

Sometimes I wear pants and a hoodie.

Now playing in the summer when it's over 100 degrees can be grueling (bring lots of water)

thanks for the hints.
Ill remember to wear pants and a hoodie out in the 20+ inchs of fresh powder!

I work outside so I have all the winter gear needed to be comfortable. Last year I ditched my old felt lined pack boots (Sorrel brand) for something close to these:

F10_BM1471_256_f

It was a very big improvement. If I can keep my feet warm and dry, I'm a happy camper.

I layer up and go out and play, albeit not as much.

Winter does have its advantages. Less foliage on the trees means more available real estate to throw. Fewer TDD's screwing around on the course means more golf for me. Dead grass and harder ground means better skips and skids to the basket.

i played through fallout 2 again and now i have basically nothing to do but watch sports + play team fortress 2 when im not at work now that i'm too lazy/big of a pussy to play in snow like this

I play DG for fun... at least that's the intent.

If I lived a bit further south wher winter wasn't so harsh: weather in the 20's or lower combined with wind chill or falling snow, sloshing through icy or wet fallen snow, throwing plastic after my fingers are numb... not my idea of fun.

I use handwarmers to play through Nov, but once the temp here drops and stays low, my discs go into hibernation. Also puts a damper on biking and rollerblading.

Not enough daylight after work during the winter to enjoy much outdoor, but on weekends layer the #%$# up and go for a few mile walk just to keep some level of activity. Maybe I should pick up a pair of hockey skates and hit some area ponds & lakes.

Last edited:
I moved to Madison, WI this summer for residency, from Memphis, TN. Talk about a huge difference regarding DG seasons and playability.

The summers in Memphis absolutely suck due to the extreme heat: imagine South Florida in July/August, but without the beach, or daily afternoon rain to help cool the ambient temperature (I was raised in S. Florida, so I can accurately make that comparison).

Summertime in Madison is phenomenal. Beautiful weather, and residents here complain about how hot it is when the temperature reaches 85 F. I just sit back and laugh, remembering that Memphis had 2 weeks this summer when the heat index was almost 120 F....

Winters in Memphis rock for DG. There are 10 full-18 hole courses, and they are pretty much deserted except for experienced players. Plus, the weather is usually beautiful, with temperatures averaging in the mid-40s (sometimes a bit colder, but not consistently) and probably 1 snowfall (2-8 inches) that is usually melted within a week.

Winters in Madtown are not quite as peachy as Memphis. Cold is a good descriptive adjective.... and snowy.... and windy. Plus, it gets dark before I leave work, so there is zero chance of playing during the week unless I'm post-call or on night float. Also, 2 of the 3 courses in town remove their baskets by December 1st, and don't return them until April/May. That really sucks.

So, to answer the OP's question, and this one too:

Live on the gulf coast.

I need a "how do you cope with the summer" thread. lol

Live in Madison for the summer and fall, and Memphis for the winter and spring.

When done with residency, I'm moving back to the south, as I'm a southern boy by history and heart. But I'll try to come back up here for the summer as often as possible, that's for sure.

I accept that we have a week or two in the 40s and the majority of our "winter" between mid 50s to mid 70s. Our summers are something else though. I like this time ofthe year here, I just wish I could have the same long days we get inthe summer. In July it doesn't matter that it's 730 and you still have sunlight, because it's still 115 outside.

How do I deal with winter? T-shirt and shorts, although sometimes I wear pants if it's below 55.

I accept that we have a week or two in the 40s and the majority of our "winter" between mid 50s to mid 70s. Our summers are something else though. I like this time ofthe year here, I just wish I could have the same long days we get inthe summer. In July it doesn't matter that it's 730 and you still have sunlight, because it's still 115 outside.

I'll still take 115 and dry over 95 and ridiculously humid though.

I just deal with the fact its going to be freezing sometimes, as ive lived in chicago my whole life. And burrr does it get cold out here. I just put on layers of thermals and sometimes a hoodie. Keep a glove on my non throwing hand and man up. Its better to disc in any weather to me, then to not disc at all. I think im going to invest in some hand warmers for my throwing hand though as taking a glove on and off after every hole can get annoying after awhile.

Latest posts