• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do you think I should progress with my discs?

The D.K.

Hi guys. First post. I'm about a month into my experience with disc golf and so far I love it. I've amassed a fairly decent collection of mostly used discs from the bottom rack at Play It Again. I was just wondering what you guys thought of the ones I have, which ones should I start with (say a set of 3 or 4 maybe), and how I should progress along my discs. I know you start low speed and move up as you start flipping them, but I'd like some expert opinions. I'm driving my Buzzzes about 250 on a good day, so I'm not that good right now. Here's my discs:

Innova:
KC Pro Aviar 175
DX Kite 167 or 168-ish
Star Stingray 180 (Fairly beat in)
DX Leopard 175
DX Dragon 150
DX Valkyrie (unsure on weight, feels 175-ish)
Champion Monster 175
Champion Wraith 172
Champion Groove 174
Pro Katana 175

Discraft
Pro-D Magnet 175
Pro-D Soft Magnet 174
Pro-D Buzzz 175
Elite Z Buzzz (Unsure on weight, maybe 165-170?)
ESP FLX Avenger SS 175

Pick between the aviar and magnet, whichever feels better in your hand. The two buzzes are a fine setup, the D buzzz will break in quicker and the z will stay stable longer, and the beat up stingray might be a nice understable complement. With those going 250, I'd toss in the leopard and leave the rest of the drivers alone for now unless you want to carry one of the more stable ones for really windy days.

If you're not averse to spending some time in a field just practicing, then spend a lot of time getting to know your putters and mids. Learn what they'll do when thrown with different angles, at different heights, and different levels of power...throw them over and over with all kinds of combinations. I know it's no fun at first to just throw putters, but work with them a bit until you can get them to at least 200' if you can't already...and going further with them will be easy soon.

Do the same with your Buzzes and the Kite, play a bit with the Stingray and you can learn to hyzer flip, execute flat turns, etc. You can probably handle the Leopard right now, but put all of the faster stuff on the shelf for awhile, except maybe the Dragon, which can be really fun to throw (until you really put some oomph into it, where it tends to get uncontrollably flippy).

The distance you get with each kind of disc is a good indicator of where you're at, but don't let it be a complete limitation. There's nothing wrong with throwing the faster discs, just as long as you're taking time with the slower stuff to really learn about disc flight and how to throw properly. Learning various throws and developing consistency is more important, and that's just easier with slower speed discs that aren't overstable than it is with long drivers.

Don't forget to spend time putting with your putters, too, instead of just learning to throw them far.

@mashnut: Thanks for the input. Aviar/Magnet, Buzzz D and Z, Stingray, and Leopard seems like a nice set up. 4 molds should make for a lot of having to work my discs rather than picking a disc for each shot.

@oklahyzer: Thanks a ton for the tips. I'll be hitting the fields soon. I figured Valkyrie up should be shelved for the moment as well, so thanks for the affirmation.

@Okie-J: Short and sweet. I take it I should be pretty patient about moving up when you say check back in Fall?

Any more input would be much appreciated! Thanks so far guys!

If you are getting your buzzz out to 250 you can handle the valk and the monster. Yourvalk should be used for max d and the monster for crazy overstable duties. Your leopard would make a great go to disc and as it gets beat in add another fresh one .

Dude I've never seen a used Buzzz. I didn't know such a thing existed. Good job picking them up though.

Somebody beat me to the Groove comment. I've never seen one thrown the way they claim to fly, and from what I hear only those with cannons for arms can get them there. Sell it back to Play It Again and go find a pile of dog crap. You'll be happier with it.

You've got some great discs there though. Avenger SS is good as a fairway driver. Mine flies straight with very little fade and is great for low ceiling shots. Leo should have a place in everyone's bag. Monster (my first disc... stupid investment) is great for those crazy overstable shots, sidearm drives, and thumbers. Valkyrie is a great in between driver. I don't really throw faster than speed 9 myself, but yeah... You've got a good start there. Take the advice you've already been given.

Keep the Buzzzes, Magnets, and Aviars for field work. Then work your way into the Leo and Valk, and ultimately bust out that Wraith. But be patient or you'll wind up two years in and essentially starting over like I am.

onemilemore: I've been thinking about a Teebird as well. Our Play It Again has an X-Out Star Teebird for about $11, but I didn't have the money at the time.

@B-mart: The Pro-D Buzzz was new, but yes, the Z was used and you'll never believe the tag on it: Lowgrade Misc Disc $4.99.

Okay, okay. Maybe I will take it back. Think I should get a Teebird instead?

And thanks for the compliments on the discs. I thought it was a nice start but I admit that I bought too many high speed drivers. But what can you do when you're new?

Thanks again guys!

Latest posts