• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How Far Will You Go For Your Disc?

I have a friend who swam through an Icey south fork river (rated dirtiest river in the U.S. by the EPA) to get my disc out for me.

I gave it away about a week later to a guy who lost it a few weeks after that. At least we still have the memories :D

I have a friend who swam through an Icey south fork river (rated dirtiest river in the U.S. by the EPA) to get my disc out for me.

I gave it away about a week later to a guy who lost it a few weeks after that. At least we still have the memories :D

so did you give him a happy ending after he went swimming for you?;)

I hate to lose a disc more than anything, so I will do whatever it takes to get it back. Freezing water, tree climbing, thorn bush diving, etc. It has paid off though, out of the last 9 rounds I have played, I have recovered 11 discs, as well as my own a few times.

i've done it all also...swimming and climbing..and prying them from newbies that can't read my name and phone number on the disc...gotta love catching people throwing your plastic!!

how far

I went in 6ft deep water that was really cold for my disc and turned out I didn't find mine but I found 2 that were better.

Just yesterday I climbed down a 15 foot vertical (literally...I just slid down it) dirt bank along a stream into water about three feet deep. It was only 45 degrees and cloudy...the water was nearly freezing. Found three other discs as well though.

Thorns

The first time I played disc golf I was borrowing a friend's driver and it drifted 30 ft off the fairway into a field of thorns (waist high). I knew I had to get it back. It took me 20 minutes to make my way to it and I looked like I had been attacked by a feral cat when I got out. The scars are still visible and I am looking forward to the warmer weather so I can play more.

haha I got a story for this thread!!! today my friends and I were playing and the one guy threw is literally in a tree, it was a rotted out tree and it landed right in the V of a tree (more of a J shape) but anyways, we noticed it moved quite well...was probably about 20in in diameter, anyways my friend started shaking the tree to get the disc out...kept shaking it and shaking it and we noticed the big branch was starting to snap off the base where my friends disc landed. He shook it so hard it snapped off the branch (was about 14in diameter, was a BIG branch) and it fell to the ground in about 4 peices...was SOO funny becuase the guys behind us were like WHOA!! haha

Earlier this week I threw my Star Firebird into a pond. I thought it was maybe only 10' or closer to the shore so I stripped down to my boxers and went in the water after it. After searching for about 10 minutes and no luck, I got out of the water, tossed the boxers and went back in to go out further to continue the search. I went out to just above my waist (it was about 50 degrees outside) but only found a different disc. I was probably in the water for about 20 minutes and it took me probably the next hour to warm back up.

I have gone into a river once to retrive a disc once (so far). I have gone the next day in the early morning to look for lost disc's in better light. It has payed off so far..

Last edited:
I searched for 20 minutes is a small creek for a blue champion Leopard one day. I was very grateful later that I did as I put this disc into the basket from around 90 feet for a duce later in that round. Since that time I have had to rescue this disc two other times from a watery death.

I've only been playing for about month but my best story would be I climbed a tree that was surrounded by a 8 ft. tall thorn bush. I had to walk through at least 20 feet of thick thorns to get to the base of the tree. Then climb this tree (had 2 branches snap on me) about 25 ft. up. Since the branches that snapped were at the bottom I had no choice but to jump down from the tree into the thorns...best part! It was my friends disc!

I showing off to a noob one day when my drive landed perfectly in a tree about 8 feet off the ground. It wasn't the hardest thing to reach but the tree was skinny and slick and so was the worn out tread on my New Balances. I spent 5 minutes trying to get decent freaking foot hold. Oh well.

I played in a tournament this weekend that doesn't allow you to go swimming for discs. Part of me wants to go back tomorrow and go swimming for my two favorite discs which I happened to throw in the same pond. Anyone have an underwater breathing mask I can borrow?

I showing off to a noob one day when my drive landed perfectly in a tree about 8 feet off the ground. It wasn't the hardest thing to reach but the tree was skinny and slick and so was the worn out tread on my New Balances. I spent 5 minutes trying to get decent freaking foot hold. Oh well.

That is why you carry a baseball in your bag, for just such an occasion.

I had my fishing waders in the car and I took a huge stick and broke through ice for like 30 feet into a pond. Never got the disk. A few days after that without the waders I took my socks and boots off and went into the Niagara river with ice all around me for a disk. Got that one. Man I hate windy days.

Latest posts