• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How far would you travel to play a course

I'm driving about 7 hours one way to play Highbridge, though I'll be playing a bunch of other places along the way. I don't really have a limit of how far I'll go to play something new if it looks like it'll be worth it, but I drive close to an hour each way just to play my local courses a few times a week.

Assuming I am traveling the distance to play the course in question by itself and no others in the area...

5 > 65 mi
4 35-65 mi
3 10-35 mi
2 < 10 mi
1 wont play it again.
0 never rated anything zero. Any forest or field is a zero. Baskets + tees alone deserve a one.

You obviously haven't played Springfield Park in Rowlett, TX. Nine wasted baskets.

If I have the time and good friends are going to be there... I'll go anywhere to play disc golf. The competition and friendship rate highest with me. The course is just where it happens. It's fun to play somewhere new or rarely played.

I look at it more like this:

5 - worth spending 5 wife passes to make it happen
4 - worth spending 2 wife passes to make it happen
3 - Often a good course to take a noob
2 - Often a good course to take my kids
1 - deduct 2 manpoints if I ever go out of my way to play here
0 - deduct 5 manpoints if I ever go out of my way to play here

from what you guys have been saying, I'm kicking myself for not making the 2 hour drive to Ludginton for all the courses there :(

I feel like a wanker. The furthest I've travelled to play a course is around 45 minutes to an hour when I went to Circle R. It's hard to convince myself to travel far when I live 10 minutes from Circle C or Pease and anywhere from 5-30 minutes from every other Austin course.

It depends on the course and the circumstances. When I travel on business I often plan my route to stop by a decently rated course. If I'm in a town with one course and that course is rated poor, I'll probably play it anyway. Luckily I'm blessed with about a dozen courses within 60 miles of my house. To use your rating system:

5: If I have the time, I'll make a weekend trip out of playing one course. 350 miles round trip. (This rarely happens.)

4: I'll drive across town to play a good course. 150 miles round trip.

3: I'll pass up a lesser course to play a better one. 30 miles round trip. (This is often the case.)

2: I'll play it but I'd rather play a better another course. 10 miles round trip.

1: I'd rather stay home and practice putting in my yard or drivers at the high school.

Now if I'm traveling on vacation, I'll take a day or two to swing by a course that I've researched and really want to play. (This hasn't happened yet but I've tried.)

5- Really depends on tradition and notoriety. I'll drive pretty far.
4- Less than 1.5 hours
3- 45 minutes to an hour
2- 20 minutes if I havent played it before.
1- If I'm bored and I'm going through that area no matter what.
0- Course probably doesnt have baskets, and I have no interest.

Not for "a course" just to play some I haven't played before...... Google maps says 671 miles 11 1/12 hours (one way). Three day DG weekend, I believe I played about a dozen coming and going. I need to do that again soon!

It depends on the course and the circumstances. When I travel on business I often plan my route to stop by a decently rated course. If I'm in a town with one course and that course is rated poor, I'll probably play it anyway. Luckily I'm blessed with about a dozen courses within 60 miles of my house. To use your rating system:

5: If I have the time, I'll make a weekend trip out of playing one course. 350 miles round trip. (This rarely happens.)

4: I'll drive across town to play a good course. 150 miles round trip.

3: I'll pass up a lesser course to play a better one. 30 miles round trip. (This is often the case.)

2: I'll play it but I'd rather play a better another course. 10 miles round trip.

1: I'd rather stay home and practice putting in my yard or drivers at the high school.

Now if I'm traveling on vacation, I'll take a day or two to swing by a course that I've researched and really want to play. (This hasn't happened yet but I've tried.)

you live in one big ass town

you live in one big ass town

Yeah I kinda pulled that one out of my a$$. I plotted it out this morning. It's more like 110 miles round trip from House Springs MO. to Alton IL and back. When I play that one I have a work related reason to be in Alton so I drive their truck. And I get paid to drive up there. :D

I work for a Swedish company & I've been there before (with discs) but couldn't break away to go throw. I hope to go back again & play there one day.

I really like the road tripping, so it just depends on the quality of the course and what else there is to do around it. The farthest I've gone stricktly for DG is about 4hrs. I live in DFW though, and there are just so many quality courses here.

Excuses Excuses

I am fortunate enough to live in the area of the 2008 championships were held, or Southwest MI. There are tons of courses in the area such as Oshtemo, Coldbrook, Meijer Broadway, Robert Morris, & Kimball Pines....which are literally within a half hour of any of them.

Then I have family on the MI West Coast....hence...Mallaly, Whitehall, Branstrom(Awesome course), FLIP CITY, and the Titans of Ludington....and to drive a bit further North to the Traverse City Area Courses. Not to mention the Eastside, which is saturated with great courses that may be overlooked because of all going down on the West (Kudos to the Eastside).

I have been as far as Idle Wild and the courses of Northern Kentucky which are a must see. The terrain allows for some awesome layouts, and disc golf in those areas is not a joking matter, nor is it in my parts.

The best thing I have learned is....

#1) If you really want to play courses, regardless of the location, have an alternative reason why you go there. For instance, me and my boyz go to the Indy 500 every year...in the morning of the event, we hit up Brookside Park. I like the course alot, but don't see traveling there just to play.

#2) Aviod competitions or leagues...why?....co$t$ money....which could later be put towards trips to far away courses.....if you need plastic...go buy it(you will generally get the color, weight, and specifications you want/need)....if you need money...don't quit your day job....

Not to give too much crap towards competitions, and I am glad they exist...but just remember you are funding trips and tourney entries to those who are directing the tourneys....These activities are not designed for non-profit....and of course the portion of money to go towards updating or developing new courses.

#3) If the AREA has enough worthwhile courses to play AKA....West MI....or Northern Kentucky....Than yes....Get your boyz(girlz) together and drive....camping is cheap....and friends or relatives in the area can be even cheaper.

Great thread idea Optidisc!

I like to grade my reviews based on chances I would like to return.
5 I would come back no matter what..more of a pilgrimmage
4 if I am in the area again I would stop back and give it another shot
3 I would play if I am within 10 miles
2 I would play within 5 miles
1 I would play if within a mile
0 I would play if I am in the park for some reason

5 I would make a point of travelling far and possibly just to play this one course (4hrs one-way)
4 I would drive upto 2.5hrs to play just this one course
3 I would drive 1.5hrs to play just this course but more if there is a cluster of 3-star courses
2 If this is a 9-hole I would probably play it. I'm pretty forgiving and I have a (secret) ambition to play as many courses as possible.
1 I probably wouldn't play this or if I did and I could talk to myself in the past I would tell my past-self not to play it.
0 This course was a waste of time and it would be better for the game if this course did not exist.

A lot more goes into this though. As someone who lives in Boston I'm used to driving far because the courses are nearly an hour away anyway. I just listed daytrip thoughts. Things are different for trips involving stops along the way or basing yourself in another area and driving around to those courses like I did in Rochester/Buffalo last weekend.

Only if I was within 30 minutes of it and had the time to do it.

3 closest places to here are already 15 minute drives so planning ahead on busy days is already the norm.

Normally I check courses within 200 mile radius of my location. That works out to be about a 2-3 hr drive. The rating doesn't really play that big a part for me. I'll drive a hour for a 2 disc rated course if it looks good even with a poor rating. If I play it once and it isn't as good as it looked, than I normally won't play it again unless I was in the area and needed to burn some time.

If the course looks great to me and its a long drive(4-5 hrs), than it may warrant a weekend field trip. These normally will have > 3.5 rating. Other than that, I'm a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants kind of person. Many factors play a roll for me.

Latest posts