• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] How firm is yours? Gateway putter Flex numbers explained here

elnino

* Ace Member *
Here's a rundown on the differences in putter flexibilities, on a scale of 1 to 10: A 1 is the softest surface and floppiest we make (think SSS), though realistically most SSS we make we shoot for are 2. A Super Soft is a 4, a Soft is a 7, and a Medium is a 9. Mediums won't flex much unless you really apply pressure – 50% of the Mediums are probably closer to a 10, designed for players that just like firm discs.

This is a link to above statement http://gdstour.com/resources/disc-golf-articles/putter-flexibility/

Medium 9
Soft 7
Super Soft 4
Super stupid Soft 2
SSSS 1

I like a 6, 7, 8 really don't matter as i'm a wizard thrower and wizard push putter.

If they would hand draw a number 1-10 on the back of each putter and online retailers would list said number I think we would have progress on our hands.

Some nice guy came up with this!!!

1. Feels like playdough
2. Very floppy, like R-Pro Aviars
3. Typical SS, very soft and flexible but has some spring to it
4. in between SS and S, will readily flex but has some stiffness to it
5. Typical Soft, will flex if you bend it, but promptly springs back and has a somewhat firm feel
6. Still has noticeable flex but has a pretty firm feel and doesn't give a lot when bent
7. Very firm overall feel but will bend some if you flex it
8. Very little flex, but has some give
9. Extremely little flex unless you muscle it
10. Rock hard

My SS is about a 4 and my HPP a 7. My S on the other hand has to be an 8 or 9, that thing is rock hard.

I use an Evo Magic that is a definite 5.

i have at least a couple of SS magics that are probably 8's and an S wiz that is probably a 4, they should probably stop putting the various labels on and JUST use the numbers since there is such a variance...

I've fallen in love with Magics that sit around a 5. Just a little bit firmer than super soft, but not quite soft.

"Why does your putter sound like a tupperwear lid when it hits chains?" ---that's how I know

Heh, I've actually stopped using certain Gateway putters when I putted with them because I didn't like the sound they made on the chains. I hate the way the rock hard putters sound when they hit chains....dunno why.

I have 7 SSSS Dark blue HPPs that are probably around a 2, a beat organic at about a 4, another organic and a light blue HPP at around a 6, then another organic that's a 10.

Please make more stiff organic wizards, I can't find them and the feel is better then the medium plastic

they really need to rate the discs on two different scales, one for disc stiffness and one for plastic softness

any of you who complain just need to pick up a phone and call a good shop to get the type you like though

Latest posts