• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How has disc golf progressed in the last 5 years?

I would add as well that a lot of the disc golf scene has matured considerably. many of us started playing in high school and college, so its no surprise that we're older now and still playing. It definitely adds some maturity to the sport, as we're not nearly as likely to be doing drugs or drinking all the time on the course like we were when we were teenagers.

Interesting observation (to me): My favorite disc golf course in this area is also a drug hole. Tons of drugs floating around every time I go out there. Those people are never the disc golfers. This is definitely a change over the last 5-10 years.

Like a "bowl hole"?

Ability to watch tournaments (internet) has really improved and Prodigy changed the game :|.

I would add as well that a lot of the disc golf scene has matured considerably. many of us started playing in high school and college, so its no surprise that we're older now and still playing. It definitely adds some maturity to the sport, as we're not nearly as likely to be doing drugs or drinking all the time on the course like we were when we were teenagers.

Interesting observation (to me): My favorite disc golf course in this area is also a drug hole. Tons of drugs floating around every time I go out there. Those people are never the disc golfers. This is definitely a change over the last 5-10 years.

It's funny how I got started. I was tutoring a person in math. Found out that he served in the Army, I served in the Navy, and we became instant friends. I was doing private tutoring sessions with him at his house and noticed his discs. I asked him about it and he told me about the sport. I bought 1 disc, then 2 more and my bag was built. He always have me above on shots, disc selection, shot selection, etc. From then on, I would bring my bag, which doubles to hold books and stuff, to work just in case he felt like playing after a rough day. Then other people asked me about my bag of discs. Must have gotten at least a dozen or so into the sport since I started in February 2014. And there's more to come. Plus local pro, Drew Gibson, is designing a course on a ball course. So I would say it has come a way in the short time that I've played. Plastics, courses, disc design, etc. It's just going to get better.

Like a "bowl hole"?

Ability to watch tournaments (internet) has really improved and Prodigy changed the game :|.

Prodigy has changed the game in the last 5 years? Perhaps you think they have improved your bag?
Maybe this is a regional thing where Prodigy is a massive tournamant sponsor in your area?

Prodigy has changed the game in the last 5 years? Perhaps you think they have improved your bag?
Maybe this is a regional thing where Prodigy is a massive tournamant sponsor in your area?

I would say that the Prodigy model of being a start-up that wooed a bunch of high-level players to their brand is game-changing in a way. It will likely encourage new disc companies and other non-disc sponsors (Grip bags? Cart manufacturers? Footwear? etc.) to attempt to do the same if they have a quality product.

More people selling discs is growth for now, but its definitely putting some strain on the system that was in place when Innova and Discraft ruled the land. You won't see many more companies get as big as Trilogy, Prodigy, MVP/Axiom and Legacy have for a few years. I'm just not sure retailers can support it unless they start limiting the manufacturers they carry. See the article that Justin @ communitydiscs wrote regarding the last MVP releases for proof. Manufacturer outlets stores are already here and will probably be the biggest retail sites in the next 5 years.