• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How I broke the 500 foot barrier

A violent throwing action will only result in injury.

Particularly your lower back and knees.

You may not think much of it now, but when you're 60 you might thank your younger self for learning how to throw smoother.

Yeah, figured it was more likely a putter or lid given the distance, so he did that throw with something like a Rattler! :eek: :gross:

Smooth is the key from the man himself, not violence: ;)

This is funny, I've never seen someone throw a disc golf disc like that but I remembered that Olympians threw it like this and was practicing my X step after a few drinks last night and started thinking about the momentum of a 360 throw and started messing with that. I'm gonna have to see how it works out in the field, thanks for posting that! :clap:

Anyone been messing with this and get good results?

Reeling in a 300' tape is a workout itself! I'd go another route, either a measuring wheel or a laser rangefinder (best choice).

anyone know how much a range finder is that won't break fast? I figured that was a thing and would be easier to mess with then measuring tape.

World Class Result = World Class Effort

Bumps and bruises are part of the game. Learn from my mistakes.

If someone wants to just tip long-neckers back and throw 200 foot drives, it's all good... I'll be there one day, my days are surely numbered.

Until then as an old Chinese man said, " Train long. Body strong, and you happy. Illness will not touch you."

I prefer tipping back long-neckers and throwing ~500' drives with a nice, easy, smooth swing that's not going to hospitalize me.

anyone know how much a range finder is that won't break fast? I figured that was a thing and would be easier to mess with then measuring tape.

Get a 12 inch measuring wheel. Cheaper ones can be found for 30 bucks or so. And get some field cones. If you have a field to practice in then use the wheel to measure out your distances and put the cones down at increments. I usually do increments of 50ft all the way out to 450ft plus a starting cone to tell me where to throw. That way I can throw down the field AND back again. You can get a set of 12 field cone markers on amazon for 6 bucks, plus a 30 dollar wheel and your not even out 40 bucks and can forever measure every throw with ease. Only takes a few minutes to set up the field too. Way easier than a measuring tape and way cheaper than a range finder.

There are a lot of quality rangefinders available new and used off ebay and amazon. I have a Bushnell 1500 which came with a nice hard case, works amazingly well. It's way overkill for disc golf, but it's fun to play around with too. It claims to range out to 1500 yards (4500 feet), the furthest I've even tried to range is a building 700 yards away and it worked fine. The furthest I've ranged a basket is 525'. They're ideal for field work, creating tee signs, making up your own safari course to mix things up, using on new courses you've never played, etc. You can get a good quality rangefinder new for around $100, used or refurbished for less. You can also pay over $300 for the best ones new, but not necessary for disc golf. Rangefinders with the slope feature cost more, it's a nice feature to have if you play courses with a lot of elevation changes.

There's a difference between tipping long necks and wanting to develop 500' shots without risking injury. I'm on the path to 500'... yesterday I felt the power to get there, just couldn't the angles right before I ran outta time.

I'm not knocking you bro, you may find a way to 800' on flat ground like Alex Geisinger with a completely different throw. I'm just trying to get there without missing any days due to injury! And I really want my 500' to be balanced, controlled and accurate so that I can throw 18 down on a course with lots of 500' holes.

I agree Jason (and with the others saying the same thing). I do not see any "violent" hip/torso rotation in the following throw from McBeth. Powerful.. yes, but silky smooth and controlled power:

Honestly, the way to get 450-500 foot distance comes down to 2 factors that most people only have one but not the other, and sometimes neither at all. Full extension of the throwing arm on the reach back, or on the pull thru. Paul tends to get full extension once he starts pulling through. 2nd, stepping about a foot to the left with your plant foot so when you pull through you use more of your upper and lower back muscles. Simon really steps out to the left quite dramatically on his plant foot. It took me time to get the timing and muscle memory down, but combining both of those took me from 300-400 relatively quickly, and now that I've been using it for almost a year, I can hit 425 pretty easily, and occasionally, if the wind is on my side I can hit 500.

Honestly, the way to get 450-500 foot distance comes down to 2 factors that most people only have one but not the other, and sometimes neither at all. Full extension of the throwing arm on the reach back, or on the pull thru. Paul tends to get full extension once he starts pulling through. 2nd, stepping about a foot to the left with your plant foot so when you pull through you use more of your upper and lower back muscles. Simon really steps out to the left quite dramatically on his plant foot. It took me time to get the timing and muscle memory down, but combining both of those took me from 300-400 relatively quickly, and now that I've been using it for almost a year, I can hit 425 pretty easily, and occasionally, if the wind is on my side I can hit 500.

That plant to the left is part of cocking the hips and getting the hip rotation involved.
See the hip rotation is correct in the power, it is simply the term violent that I disagree with and the acceptance of injury as part of the road to success.

Explosive or powerful or strong or quick, lots of ways to express the hip rotation or pop and as the OP is using the term violent it is probably no different than me saying powerful or explosive, but for me and I think many throwing coaches it is just not a term that would be used.

The hip rotation into a brace is fundamental to throwing, huge in Olympic throws, a major factor in Shot-put Discus and javelin. He's not wrong in the importance.

On the injury side, its not MMA we are doing. Injuries do happen in all sports, but I've never met a coach, especially in a non-contact sport, that would agree it is just part of the process. Injury prevention is part of the road to success, overcoming injuries that happen is a road to success, but being cavalier that you get injured because you are simply putting out large effort is not right.

Your hips should be working in harmony with the rhythm of your throw.

That plant to the left is part of cocking the hips and getting the hip rotation involved.
See the hip rotation is correct in the power, it is simply the term violent that I disagree with and the acceptance of injury as part of the road to success.

Explosive or powerful or strong or quick, lots of ways to express the hip rotation or pop and as the OP is using the term violent it is probably no different than me saying powerful or explosive, but for me and I think many throwing coaches it is just not a term that would be used.

The hip rotation into a brace is fundamental to throwing, huge in Olympic throws, a major factor in Shot-put Discus and javelin. He's not wrong in the importance.

On the injury side, its not MMA we are doing. Injuries do happen in all sports, but I've never met a coach, especially in a non-contact sport, that would agree it is just part of the process. Injury prevention is part of the road to success, overcoming injuries that happen is a road to success, but being cavalier that you get injured because you are simply putting out large effort is not right.

I agree and neglected to say that stepping to the left with the plant foot will also incorporate the hips into the throw.