• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How long did it take for you to get "good"?

Wolfen70

I guess "good" is subjective, but how long did it take you before you were shooting par or better? I just recently shot -4 on an easy layout in my first season. tell me how bad i suck..........

I know i suck. Primus? What? I want people to share their 1st year stories so I can have an idea where I stand.

I never worried where I stood. (Hell, I still don't). I just wanted an alternative way to get exercise.

Saying "I shot -4" doesn't mean much, particularly if you're using tee sign par.

End of First 365 days, 1 year I was using a DX Valkyrie as my main distance driver, then using a DX old style Leopard, a DX Stingray again after loosing the first one right away, and last got another putter to complement my older non DuPont added plastic Rubber Putter, a Gateway G9-I Wizard that in 2018 I gave away to a guy who uses Wizards who sold it online. I did get a little later just outside 367 days a DX Shark that I did not use too much as it was too light for me to use and eveutaly got 175 gram Sharks in Pro and later Star. I gave the DX Shark away to a friend in 2017 with a drawstring sack who I got him a new Hydra and Whaoo combo as well as a new Hydra and Dragon combo. He had a few disc but no putter only a OS Buzz and a Disc that Beginner players should not ever use, A Firebird or Xcalibur. Also gave him an 2 mini makers of mine I was not using at the time.

I could throw those new discs just fine as I got upper 160 grams range with only the heaviest at 169 grams being the Valkyrie. Now I get premium Valkyrie 170-172 grams. Do not use a Leopard after the mold changed and the Shark see above, I do not use a DX Stingray anymore since 2017 as I stopped using the mold for Sharks and Shark 3.

Last edited:
I am at a point where noobies look at me and go "wow he's so good" and pros look at me and go "......"

Have been there for a good while. Whats hot in my game fluctuates a little each season, and another aspect might go cold. I have no pipe dreams avout getting better anytime soon. Nor do I have the drive to work for it. I always say I am good enough for not to have a terrbile time on most courses. Yet I do enjoy the top tier courses where par is a good score on many holes for me. Might finish double digits over par but have a better time than getting a birdie on every other hole at a more entry level course.

Becoming technically able to birdie average holes took some time for me. Longer holes I just couldn't reach. On technical holes I was unable to throw certain lines. In consequence, I was plain unable to score under par, because I couldn't birdie most of the holes. Improving distance, technique and consistency, I started to get more birdies, because I was technically able to get them on more holes. That's what dropped my scores.

The second -- equally influencing factor -- was widening my putting confidence circle: Short putts I know I will make 90% of the time and longer putts I give the possibility to go in (and unlikely end with a three-putt).

My approach game and out-of-trouble shots always have been my strong part.

These were the factors for a better average scores for me. It didn't change that I play over par on average.

Score is only a part of good, in my first few months I could get around Par or a solid blue level course. This was by throwing tomahawks on almost every shot, and I could throw them accurately to 300 and further at times. Couldn't really putt, Bh was maybe 200 and not terribly accurate. No FH yet.

Learned FH in about my 5-6 month and could then hit 400 ft within another 3. Could get under par on that same course regularly. BH was getting somewhat respectable.

Almost 8 years in I'm not sure I'm good yet. Can throw FH and BH over 400 now, putt kind of and approach very well. I'll throw up a good -9 on that same course from time to time, and now par is 3 less than it was.

So better.

Everyone's "Good" is subjective. I've been playing for a long time and still don't consider myself good at disc golf.

I can't really remember anything notable from my first year playing other than I threw pretty much all forehand and couldn't putt. Shooting par or better is completely dependent on the courses you're playing.

...I have a suspicion that the finish line is running faster than I am.
Well said.

When I first started playing, I thought I would be "good" when I could throw consistently. It took me a solid year of DG rounds and field sessions before I could throw with any real consistency.

Then I thought I would be "good" if I could throw far. I developed my form until I could throw my fastest drivers near 450'. That took another year, maybe two.

Then I thought I would be good if I could throw my mids and putters as far as others threw their drivers. Another year or two.

Then scrambling from the rough became my goal. Then dead accurate approaches. This whole time I had been ignoring putting... that eventually became a goal.

The "good" plateau always seems to be tied to the next milestone and I never reach it.

As I get older, I just go out and have fun; I don't even keep score. Sometimes I play against others and they keep score. I beat some people and lose to others. My game has strengths and weaknesses. I have good days and bad days. But I honestly think I have stopped comparing myself to those around me and caring how I measure up. Maybe that means I'm at least partially satisfied with my current skillset? IDK. I've been playing for 20 years. Maybe that's the answer to your question.

It took me about two summers to be truly competitive with the other league players in my area. I have a tendency to be inconsistent, but I'm getting better every day.

Well said.

When I first started playing, I thought I would be "good" when I could throw consistently. It took me a solid year of DG rounds and field sessions before I could throw with any real consistency.

Then I thought I would be "good" if I could throw far. I developed my form until I could throw my fastest drivers near 450'. That took another year, maybe two.

Then I thought I would be good if I could throw my mids and putters as far as others threw their drivers. Another year or two.

Then scrambling from the rough became my goal. Then dead accurate approaches. This whole time I had been ignoring putting... that eventually became a goal.

The "good" plateau always seems to be tied to the next milestone and I never reach it.

As I get older, I just go out and have fun; I don't even keep score. Sometimes I play against others and they keep score. I beat some people and lose to others. My game has strengths and weaknesses. I have good days and bad days. But I honestly think I have stopped comparing myself to those around me and caring how I measure up. Maybe that means I'm at least partially satisfied with my current skillset? IDK. I've been playing for 20 years. Maybe that's the answer to your question.

That's the beauty of this sport though- you're truly only in competition with yourself.

That's the beauty of this sport though- you're truly only in competition with yourself.

I'm aging and in competition with my former self. And getting whipped on a regular basis.

No, seriously, much like Marmoset, when I ascending my progress was a series of plateaus---or, as I often described it, ratchet. Sudden jump to the next level, stuck there for a while, another sudden jump, level for a while....

With each, better than I had been, better than some people I played with, never as good as some others. Tournament divisions and ratings gave some thresholds to measure. Never reached a point to say "I'm good"; it's all relative.