• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

how long did it take you to learn forehand?

My baseball background playing 2nd base helped me learn the FH quickly. The first round I ever played, someone gave me some discs to use and I threw BH for a few holes and noticed that the discs would always fade left, so when we got to the next hole that turned right I asked how to get the disc to go that way. He said the easiest way to do it is to throw it FH and told me to give it a shot. I naturally threw the disc like I would throw a baseball to first base and it went pretty close to exactly where I was aiming. Ever since then, when I get to a hole that requires a long drive with a quick turn to the right at the end, I throw FH.

Im rhbh. Every summer I mess around a little bit with the forehand shot style. It just feels so strange to me, I cant get them to go over 150 feet or so. I would love to have a forehand shot to flip to the right around those tight right turns. I can flip understable discs over but not as much flip/turn as if I could do it forehand. I am really going to put some effort into getting descent at the forehand this year, it will help my game.

Started out throwing sidarm and it came pretty natural to me. About three months I was throwin around 300 ft max. I can now get it out to about 330-350 but Im gonna work on my backhand full time this year.

My baseball background playing 2nd base helped me learn the FH quickly. The first round I ever played, someone gave me some discs to use and I threw BH for a few holes and noticed that the discs would always fade left, so when we got to the next hole that turned right I asked how to get the disc to go that way. He said the easiest way to do it is to throw it FH and told me to give it a shot. I naturally threw the disc like I would throw a baseball to first base and it went pretty close to exactly where I was aiming. Ever since then, when I get to a hole that requires a long drive with a quick turn to the right at the end, I throw FH.

This could have been my post, except mine came from pitching sidearm for almost 10 years. I learned to control my forehand in about 2 weeks.

I have a good BH midrange shot, but I am bullocks off of the tee box. So I just learned to love my forehand, and only throw the BH when I absolutely must.

We had played off and on forever...never really getting beyond 150' or so...one day at East Roswell I saw a dude throw sidearm and thought...damn that looks good...first throw was over 200'...

Sometimes its just natural...up until very recently if my wife was going to throw sidearm you were safer in front of her than behind...now she has gotten pretty good at upshot flicks.

It game very natural too me for some reason, after the first round I had a great feeling for the FH throw.

^ agreed

FH was waaaaay easier for me than backhand when I first started out. I went through a good 6 month phase, at the least, where I threw almost nothing but FH. Now after working on my backhand so much I have almost all but lost it.

I'm still trying to learn it myself. I've been practicing it for around 4 months or so and will use it when the situation calls for it, but never longer than 250'. I think I still have a wrist-roll problem and end up getting more turn in my throws than I want. I never actually use it for distance and try to stick to forehand hyzers with my Flick because of the tendency I have to turn the disc over. That's basically the only consistent forehand that I can throw, but I'm working on becoming more accurate with the straight line drive RHFH that fades right at the end since that's a tough line to get with a backhand. I'm using an 11x Champ Firebird for this, but my consistency with this throw is below 50%.

Took me playing 4 rounds of playing forehand only to get it useable. I didnt use a run up and had a forehand of about 250'. No lines, just straight to fade.

It has taken me about a year and a half to learn how to add a run-up and push the distance out to 350'. I still have very limited lines with it however. Flex shot, hyzer-flip and straight to fade.

first way i learned how to throw and i was throwing close to 400 within 6 months, then i switched to BH and now i can't throw a FH worth **** but my BH is beautiful

Flippa introduced me to disc and taught me to first play using the FH. Because of our long history in baseball, and tennis for flippa the FH came natural to us. Throwing just sidearm has plenty of disadvantages so I learned the BH and now primarily throw that. Being able to throw both really steps up your game.

still working on it :) cant wait for spring so i can get some field practice in. had it dialed in for a while last fall then it disappeared. threw some good ones yesterday with mids and drivers.

i think one of the keys to improving it is, like BH, to work with putters and mids first since they do not mask technique issues the way drivers do. keep the elbow tucked in and try to relax the motion so that it is smooooooooooooth.

I was hoping that as a racquetball player, the forehand would come naturally to me, but it just isn't. :wall:

Any suggestions on how to keep from getting my elbow stuck in at my side? I can do the fake "warm up" flick just fine, but as soon as I go to throw for real, I end up looking like Barney the Dinosaur with just my stubby forearm making the throw and my elbow glued to my side.

I was hoping that as a racquetball player, the forehand would come naturally to me, but it just isn't. :wall:

Any suggestions on how to keep from getting my elbow stuck in at my side? I can do the fake "warm up" flick just fine, but as soon as I go to throw for real, I end up looking like Barney the Dinosaur with just my stubby forearm making the throw and my elbow glued to my side.

Was just watching the Discraft clinic, and noticed they do something they dont talk about. Instead of around like a merry go round, their arm motion is more like a swing. They start with the flight plate up facing the target somehwat high and they dip down as their arm goes forward, and then the follow through comes back up. If that helps.

I compare throwing sidearm like snapping a wrist shot in hockey. I never seen pics or vids of me but I would think it might look like Im holding an invisible hockey stick. Same thing goes when Im throwing a bh hyzer flip, just like Im shooting a backhand shot in hockey. For some odd reason my friends who actually play league hockey, cant throw sidearm for poop.

When I first started dg I couldn't throw forehand to save my life.Hardly any distance at all. I had to learn how to throw it cause it is the only way I can get my disc to go to the right!
I just kept practicing and practicing and finally got to where I can get some distance,not great but enough to usually get me out of trouble.
Just keep working on it and working on it.
My problem is the backhand,three years and I still have trouble getting more than a couple of hundred feet,but that's a whole other kettle of fish!

Was just watching the Discraft clinic, and noticed they do something they dont talk about. Instead of around like a merry go round, their arm motion is more like a swing. They start with the flight plate up facing the target somehwat high and they dip down as their arm goes forward, and then the follow through comes back up. If that helps.

Thanks Technohic. I can't really watch a video and go straight to the course and do it. Having someone tell me hints seems to help more. From reading this thread it seems to come easier to some and others have to work on it more. Maybe some of us are just "Unnaturals". Like Coach Singletary said, "Can't do it."

Thanks Technohic. I can't really watch a video and go straight to the course and do it. Having someone tell me hints seems to help more. From reading this thread it seems to come easier to some and others have to work on it more. Maybe some of us are just "Unnaturals". Like Coach Singletary said, "Can't do it."

lol I am a 49ers fan so, Go Sing!

Took me about 3 months to throw FH, came more naturally than BH but I only use it for placement shots and skips, crap like that, never for distance. I'm a jack of all trades but I can't do any one thing particularly well, dang it.

Latest posts