• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How long did you play before you were a "good" putter

I have been playing for 5 years, and I still dont consider myself a "good" putter. You can always become a better putter no matter how good you are at it. I try to make about 90% of my putts in a 25 ft circle around the baskett. Which is a challenge for me.

How long do you guys spend on a specific technique before you pass on it for something else? Do you guys try to find more consistent techniques or do you just want to be more consistent with whichever one you picked?

I feel like there is a technique that by its nature is going to be more consistent (better release, easier to impart spin on the disc without taking it off the line, less movement that impacts left or right misses, etc), but at the same time, am not sure how long to practice one before I throw out the idea. For example, practicing bullet style spin putting for 3 months might be a dumb idea if it won't ever be as consistent as a straddle pitch putt style.

I wonder if some of the top pros would switch styles to a more consistent one if it wouldn't interrupt their current game?

When I talked with Brian Schweberger the first time on my show he mentioned how he had refined his putting style. It seems he is doing great with it as he just won his first Majors tournament.

For me the Mark Ellis program totally changed the way I putt. It was very strange because it was almost a natural progression to something that I finally feel comfortable with. I kept thinking it was the disc :doh: but it was all me and now since i completed the program I feel i can correct myself more easily when things are going bad. Case in point this past weekend I started off missing two easy 20ftr's on the first 2 hole. I then readjusted ,focused more and probably did not miss a putt 20 ft and in from then on and made some nice 25ftr's also and I think missed two 25ftr's. The ability to do that has been an AH HAH!! moment for me where as before that, i would have missed everything because i already would have been frustrated after the first two holes.

When I talked with Brian Schweberger the first time on my show he mentioned how he had refined his putting style. It seems he is doing great with it as he just won his first Majors tournament.

For me the Mark Ellis program totally changed the way I putt. It was very strange because it was almost a natural progression to something that I finally feel comfortable with. I kept thinking it was the disc :doh: but it was all me and now since i completed the program I feel i can correct myself more easily when things are going bad. Case in point this past weekend I started off missing two easy 20ftr's on the first 2 hole. I then readjusted ,focused more and probably did not miss a putt 20 ft and in from then on and made some nice 25ftr's also and I think missed two 25ftr's. The ability to do that has been an AH HAH!! moment for me where as before that, i would have missed everything because i already would have been frustrated after the first two holes.

That's great, and I know that building confidence / improving the technique you are already using is a positive thing, but how should someone go about choosing that technique that they are improving? There are a lot of styles that people do well with, and if someone is the same consistency between push putting loft style, pitch putting straddle laser beams, straddle loft push putting, anhyzer spin putting, etc, how should they choose one?

Someone could spend 2 years getting very confident with an inherently less consistent technique and I'm guessing a lot of people would like to avoid that :thmbup: A lot of people in this thread have said that they aren't great putters yet; they could be trying to perfect a bad style.

That's great, and I know that building confidence / improving the technique you are already using is a positive thing, but how should someone go about choosing that technique that they are improving? There are a lot of styles that people do well with, and if someone is the same consistency between push putting loft style, pitch putting straddle laser beams, straddle loft push putting, anhyzer spin putting, etc, how should they choose one?

Someone could spend 2 years getting very confident with an inherently less consistent technique and I'm guessing a lot of people would like to avoid that :thmbup: A lot of people in this thread have said that they aren't great putters yet; they could be trying to perfect a bad style.

Having multiple options is not a bad thing. I've worked on my straddle putting so that I can feel more comfortable putting from the woods. It comes in very handy on my home course where the "greens" are very small with lots of underbrush in close to the basket.

I also can use a turbo putt when need be.

Being comfortable with different putting styles simply gives you more options close to the basket.

Having multiple options is not a bad thing. I've worked on my straddle putting so that I can feel more comfortable putting from the woods. It comes in very handy on my home course where the "greens" are very small with lots of underbrush in close to the basket.

I also can use a turbo putt when need be.

Being comfortable with different putting styles simply gives you more options close to the basket.

It wouldn't be a bad thing if the consistency was a high percentage; I'm talking about avoiding getting confident with a bad technique. Confidence is just one aspect

It wouldn't be a bad thing if the consistency was a high percentage; I'm talking about avoiding getting confident with a bad technique. Confidence is just one aspect

I'm not convinced that there is such thing as a "bad" technique. I would compare it to a batting stance. Every baseball player has a unique stance (open/closed, big/little step, etc). No one has the "wrong" stance. However there are little things that can be tweaked in their swing to use the stance as best as possible.

Same for putting, it should feel natural, which means it will be unique to you. But you can focus on improving the little things to build the putting motion that works for you.

TP's where it's at! I spent a year or two exclusively TP; I still feel like I can step up to a 60' putt and nail it tp if the wind cooperates.

I'm working a spin putt mostly. Really just switched to this style a week or two ago. 20s have been lights out so far. Confidence program is how I start every putting session, and I end a lot of putting sessions with it also.

Imagine someone who flicks all of their putts. This is worse than a controlled push putt with minimal left to right movement, right?

Assuming you're still with me on this, consider that the other putting styles have intricate differences that aren't as exaggerated, and you might not be able to point it out right away, but a lot of putting forms are worse than others. The confidence programs and practice in general are basically to weed out the minor flaws of the putt until you are left with something like a good technique and a good mindset.

Take that a step further and I'm suggesting that there is a technique where after you get it down to its absolute best is still going to be less consistent than another (even if it meant a difference over time and across players of 2-5% missed putts in the circle or something).

:confused:

Last edited:
Imagine someone who flicks all of their putts. This is worse than a controlled push putt with minimal left to right movement, right?

Assuming you're still with me on this, consider that the other putting styles have intricate differences that aren't as exaggerated, and you might not be able to point it out right away, but a lot of putting forms are worse than others. The confidence programs and practice in general are basically to weed out the minor flaws of the putt until you are left with something like a good technique and a good mindset.

Take that a step further and I'm suggesting that there is a technique where after you get it down to its absolute best is still going to be less consistent than another (even if it meant a difference over time and across players of 2-5% missed putts in the circle or something).

:confused:

Sure, flick putting and turbo putting have their limitations and don't make sense as a prime putting style.

However, I don't think the same idea applies to other styles, certainly not as much. It comes down to what works best for the particular individual. And that's something that each player needs to feel out and discover themselves. I can't sit here and tell you that straddle spin putting off-handed is the best way to putt because that may not be what works best for you.

Again I'll use the baseball analogy, the majority of players are more successful batting with their dominant hand as the top guide-hand. However, some players feel more comfortable, and find more success with the reverse. And others are comfortable both ways.

Same for pitchers, the "ideal" pitching motion is over the top, following through towards the ground. But some pitchers find better success dropping down sidearm.

I don't know about the batting analogy, but on the pitching analogy, submarine is the preferred motion because you get more movement on your pitches. However, if your short-stop has a submarine delivery, your first baseman will quit. Also, it's far easier to be accurate and powerful from a 3/4 position.

I think everyone has an ideal motion for everything, and it's not always "comfortable" or "natural".

I'll let you know, 11 years so far and I definitely would not consider myself a good putter. I have great putting days, and I'm slowly gaining consistency so those happen more often, but my bad days are still really bad.

^^^This, although my bad days aren't quite so horrible anymore. In the past I would've missed 50% of the 15'-20'ers I make consistently now.

Last edited:
12.5 years and counting. (considering i missed a 6' putt last night to keep my #1 tag)

I pitch putt and while I've only been playing about a year in the last2 months I've become pretty happy and consistent with my putting. The technique part just took time and practice but what really made the difference was my routine and my mental approach.

I read a number of articles on the mental approach to putting in ball golf and applied many of the same techniques.

The technique takes over, my brain shuts off and I don't care if I miss the putt. The result is I hit a lot more putts.

12 years is how long it took me.

I thought for the longest time I was a Pitch Putter. I worked with this technique for years.Some days were great and then some days were frustrating as :wall:

A buddy of mine who has known me fro years suggested me try spin putting and use a small diameter putter. Well I had two pro line ryhno's sitting in the bag I only used for driving. So I thought I would try those.

This was the putting style for me. The first few months were shakey,but I finally figured out how to control my speed and strength so I didn't have a blow by if I was off just a bit. Now I'm considered one of the better putters in the area. :hfive:

Been playing almost 10 years and I'm getting there, depends on the day. Just when I start to feel comfortable I'll miss a 10 footer in a tournament.