• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] How many back ups do you have?

dwalk77

Par Member
I was just curious, how many (if any) back ups do you either carry OR have stowed away?
Not talking about the same mold with different flight characteristics, but straight up back ups in case you lose one or one just gets beat to hell and is basically unusable.

I'm starting to feel more comfortable with my bag, but the majority of my discs don't have a "back up", and was considering it. It's definitely cheaper to buy in bulk online, and that would give me peace of mind if I lost a disc, which is very probable at the course I usually play at. And there's certain stamps/colors I have a preference for, and who knows when they'll go out of stock? At the same time, I feel if I had several back ups, I might start to get careless with risky shots and not value the discs as much.

I have come to the conclusion to have 2 backups of one's favorite disc. I just ordered another backup Wasp.

I so wish I had bought multiple Inertias and Envys in the original Neutron plastic. The current runs are just not the same.

I so wish I had bought multiple Inertias and Envys in the original Neutron plastic. The current runs are just not the same.

. . . . .

^this if I had that much disposable income.

One of the reasons I will buy 5ish at a given time, molds and plastics change as you know and it's just easier to commit once and get what you know you like. I'm not exactly swimming in money but I do have a hobby/materialistic **** fund that I try to manage well...sometimes DG takes priority among all the candidates lol

Of the molds I regularly bag, I have:

Classic Aviars: 42
AviarX3s: 4
P2s: 12
Rocs: 48
Leopard3s: 7
FDs: 4
Teebirds: 18
Firebirds: 13
Thunderbirds: 18
Destroyers: 28

For the discs that are mainly cycled there are multiples in various stages of wear.

2 disc molds I have 6 at the weight that either works best for the disc, Impact or works best for me at that weight, Z Stalker with all a normal discs in how the molds should be. Another disc a putter the plastic is OOP for the Titanic mold I use I have 2 good ones and a messed up soft disc almost FLX for the DGA mold that will be an uphill downhill putter test for a disc once my #2 Upshot in Prostyle is more US then it is right now. Also I have 2 Star Sharks as they are not currently made around the weight I want with one almost a G-Star plastic I put Sharpie marks on the disc to show where the bad part of rim are that will replace my Pro Shark once it is too US to use in the next year or two. I will keep the US Pro Shark for a beginner set if discs along with some Stingray and my old Stiff Pro D Magnet.

Last edited:
Once you're extremely solid on your bag, a backup or two of the same run (if possible) is advised, as future runs might not fly the same. But unless the mold is OOP, don't go overboard with replacements (like I did on a couple of molds :eek:)

With putters, a stack of 5 or more of your favorite putting putter is fine, as you can take them to the practice basket and do lots of practicing.

I don't...I tend to only be true to molds that are consistent enough that I can buy a replacement without worrying too much. Like with most putters and mids you know what you're getting every time, same with Firebirds or Thunderbirds of a general shape, etc.

Of course I have lots of specific discs that I would be extremely upset if I lost...but that's because they are worn in to that level of flight and feel or that mold is inconsistent enough it would have been hard to find identical ones at any point. Discs like that I wouldn't be too against replacing with another similar mold that flies like the same thing for me. Like a beat Teebird might become an FD, or a beat Destroyer might become a Wraith, etc.

If you know you like a disc and you have a chance to buy a pair of the same feel/PLH, it makes a lot of sense.

At the same time, I feel if I had several back ups, I might start to get careless with risky shots and not value the discs as much.

This is so foreign to me. My main bag is full of the discs I know and know really well, I would rather lose a new disc than one that I've come to trust. I'm pretty sure a lot of people feel the same.

As far as backups; for my main discs, I have quite a few because I also practice with them. Never assume your backup is going to fly the same as the bagged disc. Get to know all your discs so you won't have any surprises. I think we have all had a disc that flew beautifully only to find that the one we had was the anomaly and then couldn't find another.

Also, be aware that some molds and plastics may just not always be available or even go OOP. I used to putt with Lat64 Spikes, threw Suspects and loved DX Gazelles. I loved these but, for some reason for almost a year there were none to be had in either the plastic or weight that I wanted and the Gazelle went OOP in DX. I finally gave up and moved on.

So anyway, to answer your question, yeah, I have lots of backups for my main discs.

There are relatively few flight shapes, so as long as I have a couple of discs that can fly each of them I'm happy. I don't worry about replacing a Roc with a Roc or a Firebird with a Firebird, there are plenty of stable midrange or overstable drivers that will do the job. If there are subtle differences, half a round of throwing will show them up and allow for adjustment. Collecting backups is part of a separate hobby that has little to do with the actual playing of disc golf.

I have maybe 10 backup putters for tossing around the yard and practice putting. Stable discs get lost less frequently so 3-4 backups usually lasts a long time. Understable discs get lost more often so I like to have 6-8 backups.

Some discs are rarely available at the light weights I prefer so I have learned to order a bunch when they are available.

17 pa1
12 zone
6 roc
2 quake
5 f3
7 trident
1 spirit
8 firebird
5 shryke
18 pd2
6 boss

In my bag I carry a spare pa1, trident, firebird, shryke, and pd2. Mostly there to fill space.

I actually don't (currently) have any. I don't play much more than a few times a month these days, and the discs I throw (from what I researched) are pretty consistent in runs, and easy to find. I don't have much for spare income, so I don't buy a discs until I lose one. I'd ideally like to have a few backups of my most loved discs (especially the drivers) but due to life being what it is, that's how it's going to go.

I also don't play many courses with a high potential to lose a disc. I've only lost 2 in 2 years.

In my bag, I carry a back up of almost every disc. Some have two back ups. My home course has thick woods and water and can potentially lose any disc so I like to have a back up ready during the round.

In the garage, I generally keep around 10 or so back ups of each disc (some more, some less).

The key is to wait until your bag has settled. Sucks to change discs and have invested in 10 back ups.

For the water holes on my course, I use brand new discs. That way if I lose it, it isn't one that I have broken in and fallen in love with.

I rotate what's in my bag a lot, so I feel I know how everything throws. a backup just won't fly like a seasoned disc (generallly). I try to throw everything I own over the course of the year....

Every single one of my discs has a backup of some form. Not all are in my bag as I only carry 16/17 discs depending on the course. The only discs I don't carry a backup of my zone, crank, raptor & force. They are the 4 discs I use on unique shots that don't often require a lot of risk

I mainly buy extras of discs that I'm sure I won't be able to easily get later. Examples are glow pd2, royal rage fd2, 10 yr anniversary buzzz, etc. Others, I normally buy in twos. This is if I LOVE it, I have an extra. From there, I can buy more. Otherwise, they can be adopted out to new homes. ;)

My favorite disc I have about 12. 2 other great ones I love about 10.

Latest posts