• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

how many discs are in your bag?

I carry this many:
IMG_5084.JPG

Some people need more. I get confused by too many discs but I could stand to carry a few more, truth be told.

I carry about 3-5 anymore. I haven't been using anything faster than a fairway lately so when I do I'll probably carry more.

My bag can physically carry about 20-22 discs. I sectioned off a small area so I can cram three towels in there so right now I have 10 drivers and 5 mids.

As for the specific discs, I used to carry one of each disc, giving me about seven or eight different drivers and five different mids. The idea was that why force a driver into a line when I can just let the disc do the work. This line of thinking requires you to carry several different molds. I have nothing against this philosophy because if you find the right discs, it is a lot easier on your game to simply throw more naturally and allow the disc to do its thing. This is the same philosophy behind a regular golfer carrying so many clubs. It is likely that some of those clubs are hardly used, but you are glad they are then when you need it the most.

However, recently I have been reducing the amount of molds I have been carrying. I still have the same number of discs in my bag but now I am carrying at least two of each. I am doing more line shaping with fewer discs, meaning I am depending more on me and not the disc. The advantage here is that since you have fewer options to pick from, you have less of a chance second-guessing your self. This is huge because if you second guess yourself, the next time through the course or situation, you may reach for a different disc and the result could be even more deflating; now you have too many choices and dwindling opportunities to find the right disc for that particular shot. The problem with only a few discs lies in that if you are stuck in a bad or unique situation, you now have no choice but to force a disc into something it was not designed to do, adding an unpredictable element to your throw and thus reducing the likelihood that shot is going to be as successful as it could be.

I am not advocating either approach since this debate has been going on since people felt comfortable carrying a bag big enough for so many discs.

Right now I have packed the following discs in my bag: 2 Champion Firebirds, 1 Star Firebird, 2 Firm X-Link Ascents (for testing purposes and have replaced 2 Star TeeBirds), 1 Star Katana, 2 Z Nukes, 2 Star Valkyries, 2 Star Marino Rocs, 2 Star Ontario Rocs, 1 Star Mako, 1 X-Link Ridge, and 1 Firm X-Link Ridge.

In the past when I carried a more varied bag, I also had Destroyers, Bosses, more plastics of Katanas, Strikers, Meteors, Summits, Predators, Tridents, Wraiths, and XCalibers. I basically had one of each and they covered every shot I ever needed to make. As I was sitting in my garage, looking at how many discs I own, because you need to have 2 or 3 back-ups for each disc that is in your bag, I was thinking I own too much for an unemployeed teacher. I chose to slim the bag down in the molds I carry so I do not feel as great of a loss if I get rid of the rest of my discs sitting around.

I've got 18 in my fade tourney bag. Truth be told, in an average round I probably throw 10 of them. 4 of them I never use and are used as loaner discs when I go out with a beginner. Once my discraft misprint pack gets in I'm going to have to do some shuffling though.

From 19 to 21. I like to carry duplicates of Aviars, Buzzzes, Teebird, Firebird, of different stabilitys. I have 2 Aviars just for Putting and 3 for driving and approaching.

12... two are buzzzs one x and one cryztal z, two are putters dart and a magnet...

i am still letting the disc do the work kinda guy but i am getting better at making discs do what i want so i might be cutting back next spring...

Small bag: 12-14
Large bag: 20

But only 6-7 molds. The larger bag has the same molds, but a couple more wear stages and some backups.

I have 17 discs (9 Drivers/ 4 Molds, 6 Mids/2 Molds, 2 putters/ 2 molds(Soon to be 3-4 putters 1 mold))

My Fade Crunch comfortably holds 12 discs.... so that's what I carry.
While I don't carry hardly any doubles, most of the drivers in my bag are similar in style.
Currently I'm carrying:

Star Sanny Roc
DX Ontario Roc
SS Wizard
KC Pro Aviar
Star SL
Star TL
Star Teebird
Star Valkyrie
Star Wraith
ESP Avenger SS
Z Stalker
Star Beast

Exactly twelve.

Three of which are champ Monarchs.
Another three are Buzzz, 2 X and 1 esp.

Star Aviar 170g
Champion Banshee 147g
Hydra 175g
Star Mako 168g
Star TeeBird 167g
Star TeeBird 150g
Star Valkyrie 167g
Star Valkyrie 150g
Star Wraith 163g

I use the "disc organizer" and I think it is pretty cool.

I like it that you can organize your discs, create multiple bags and update what you carry and your entire inventory. I often look at what people carry and the weights.

I like carrying two weights of a mold, up and downwind.

I'm working on a four disc sling bag, cool.

I think 10-12 is about right for most players. Any fewer, and you are in real trouble if you lose discs or face extreme conditions (wind, elevation, etc). Any more than that, and I think you're just making yourself carry a heavy bag full of limited use discs just because you can't decide which ones to leave at home.

My current bag (I basically double up on the discs that are used, far and away, the most):
-puttersx2: 150 aviar P&A and 175 KCPro aviar
-midsx3: Shark 160, Shark 175, Roc 170
-short driversx3: Dragon 150, Teebird 165, Teebird 170
-Dist drivers x2: Beast 175, Boss 170

...If it came down to it, I could play a whole course decent with a Shark or play it well with the KCPro aviar + Shark + Teebird... but that just leaves no room for error or lost discs.

Latest posts