• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many discs, is too many?

i've got 6, and i can think of maybe one more to add.

aside from some duplicates for backups, multiple discs of different plastics/weight/runs/wear amount just seems like overkill to me.

then again, i suck, so take my viewpoint as you will.

i'm gonna buy myself an innova standard bag here in the near future, and i can't see myself needing anything bigger than that.

well i have enough for all the different kinds of holes i might encounter. i think thats pretty much all you really need. i see guys out there with three of the exact same disc and it just seems like a fat waste of money

well i have enough for all the different kinds of holes i might encounter. i think that's pretty much all you really need. i see guys out there with three of the exact same disc and it just seems like a fat waste of money

Those discs might be in different states of wear. I have two soft magnets that I use for approach discs. One is newer and likes to fade left. The other is very beat and likes to fly straight. Same mode, but two different flight patterns.

Does anyone else do this? I tend to change out some discs depending on the course I am playing and the conditions I will encounter.

I don't 100% agree...

I am living proof that all you really need is one disc. You CAN learn to make all your shots with a single disc.

Most of the summer my one disc was a Champ Eagle, but I switched to a DX Cheetah a week ago.

The only problem is putting with a driver or midrange results in lots of riccochets, bouncing off the chains rather than dropping, and at slow speeds like putting, many fall off an nosedive weird as they reach the end of their flight...
I agree with the 4disc theory...Putter, Appraoch, Over and Understable driver...but I have 22 in my bag, half of which I throw just to see them fly like I know they can, constantly throwing them to no avail because of an imagined potential, imagined "perfect shot" for each disc. But thats half the draw for me...

Custom bags for each course...

Does anyone else do this? I tend to change out some discs depending on the course I am playing and the conditions I will encounter.

I do this, and would hope and assume that most players do this. Often I build the bag from my trunk after pulling up to the course.

I do this, and would hope and assume that most players do this. Often I build the bag from my trunk after pulling up to the course.

YEP! Me too. Wind, course, and temperature have me tweaking the bag at each stop, right out of trunk.

I think to each his own. I carry 2 drivers: one for sidearm and one for backhand, 3 mids: agian one for sidearm and one for backhand and the other for an escape disc meaning thrown whichever way works (superlight shark), and one putter, all my other discs (beginning discs) are currently being used by my bro-in-law, and would be put away in an extra bag so my wife don't bitch. The only time I bring them is when I'm playing with a newbie w/o discs.

My friend on the other hand brings 2 bags: a championship bag with all his discs and a starter bag to fill up and carry on the course with 8-10 discs depending on the course.

I find that only using a couple of discs makes my game easier because I know which disc I'm going to throw without thinking which one of the discs fades more than the others to go around that tree down there, and then beating myself up for throwing the wrong one.

On the subject of putting with non-putters, I would not recommend it to beginners. I use a Star Coyote right now as my putter, but I have the skills to take the risk. I don't use it all the time, most of the time, I do use a Soft Magnet for approaches, because the Coyote will blow past the basket if you are not careful. I am still trying to find a putter that will give me the results that I get from my Coyote.

On the subject of putting with non-putters, I would not recommend it to beginners. I use a Star Coyote right now as my putter, but I have the skills to take the risk. I don't use it all the time, most of the time, I do use a Soft Magnet for approaches, because the Coyote will blow past the basket if you are not careful. I am still trying to find a putter that will give me the results that I get from my Coyote.

I'd second that, Ive seen too mayn beginners to putt with drivers and become frustrated with overshooting the basket a lot. Although it does help to use a differnet disc to putt if you are having a bad putting game. It can force you to focus on your putt since its a diff disc.

If the weight of your bag is causing fatigue, that's when you're carrying too many discs. Or when you carry discs that you're 100% sure you're not going to use. Otherwise, I say the more the merrier.

Alright I have 20 discs and I just started playing about 5 or 6 months ago. Many would say this is waaaay too many discs for a newb but the way I look at it I'm just trying to experience as much of the game as possible with as many discs as possible. I'm very comfortable when selecting a weapon for each different situation. I say,buy lots of discs,try as many as you can afford and have fun with them,take as much of this awesome game as you can while you're still able to play.

Alright I have 20 discs and I just started playing about 5 or 6 months ago. Many would say this is waaaay too many discs for a newb but the way I look at it I'm just trying to experience as much of the game as possible with as many discs as possible. I'm very comfortable when selecting a weapon for each different situation. I say,buy lots of discs,try as many as you can afford and have fun with them,take as much of this awesome game as you can while you're still able to play.

I would say if you have that many discs, I would take them to the practice field, and try them out, and only use the ones you think you can use or like. Carrying that many disc can handicap you. The course is not the place to learn, the course is the place to put to use what you have learned on the practice field. You will learn more about you discs on the practice field.

Is that avatar from Trailer Park Boys? "We're talking about free range kittens here."

I carry 20 discs. There are a few discs I have been noticing lately that I have not been using. If i continue to not use these discs after a few more rounds, I will probably remove them from my bag. I also like to have 2 or three discs that I don't care for too much for those water hazard holes. I'd rather lose one of those than one I depend on more. Even though they are water discs, I still know their flights from practicing in the field.

I carry 20 discs. There are a few discs I have been noticing lately that I have not been using. If i continue to not use these discs after a few more rounds, I will probably remove them from my bag. I also like to have 2 or three discs that I don't care for too much for those water hazard holes. I'd rather lose one of those than one I depend on more. Even though they are water discs, I still know their flights from practicing in the field.

I just started doing the same thing. I carry a Hydra to putt around water, but for shooting over water, I carry a LS Polaris or two. They are only $9, so if I loose one, I am not out much, plus they do have a nice flight. Plus, for throw away discs, Play It Again Sports sometimes have discs that are beat to hell, for about $3. Great for shooting around water.

too many discs = poor disc selection

Regardless if folks admit it, many carry far too many discs and end
up making really poor disc selections.

Am players for the most part are better off keeping the variety of discs they
throw to a minimum, imho.

They'll get to know those discs really well and will not
think to themselves... "let me try this" as much.

I think many newer players tend to want the latest greatest candy apple red camaro with mags and flames painted on the side when an old beat rock or valk is their best friend on a course.

Shooting at sparrows with a 10 guage isn't really all that wise.

Last edited:
I would say if you have that many discs, I would take them to the practice field, and try them out, and only use the ones you think you can use or like. Carrying that many disc can handicap you. The course is not the place to learn, the course is the place to put to use what you have learned on the practice field. You will learn more about you discs on the practice field.

Eh,I guess I just don't look at it that way. To me having as many discs as I do is neither an advantage or disadvantage. The course is most certainly a place to learn,why wouldn't it be? Especially considering the 36 hole course I live next to is free to the public. Maybe if I were playing in tournaments for some money,then no it's not a place to learn,I totally agree. Every time I play I learn,including right on the course. AND because I refuse to take the game too seriously(which too many make the mistake of doing) it's alright for me to take the game easy and learn as I go while having loads of fun. I do appreciate the advice though and maybe I should just stick to the ones that seem to work the best for me,so I will keep what you said in mind. Who knows maybe my game will improve considerably due to these possible changes ;)

Latest posts