• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many people is considered too large of a group?

What should the largest dg group be at a course?

• 2 people

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 3 people

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 people

Votes: 55 22.4%
  • 5 people

Votes: 60 24.5%
  • 6 people

Votes: 89 36.3%
  • 7 people

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • 8 people

Votes: 13 5.3%
  • 9 people

• 10 people

• more than 10 people

Votes: 15 6.1%

• Total voters
That's what I see more than large groups. Guys taking extra shots with someone waiting. Extra drives and putts.

Whats the point of that? If you want to practice , hit the soccer field

I disagree with that, practicing shaping lines when there are obstacles or get out of trouble shots is a lot easier on the course, as long as you're not holding up the people behind you. I'll often throw multiple shots if there's nobody else on the course with me.

Blobbing it up

A disc golf blob is a group of too many that like the movie the blob effects everything around them.Even if you've all been friends for years any more then five needs to transfer to doubles.If you have exactly six and tags are on the line SPLIT THE CARD or switch to doubles and play for the tag another time:thmbup:

I've played in groups as large as 8 with no real problems. Usually the large groups have been when I'm playing with some friends or coworkers that don't play regularly.

Of course, we always let faster groups play thourgh when they catch up to us.

What I find more annoying is the groups of 2-3 players on a busy course that feel the need to throw 2-3 discs per throw when people are waiting behind them. Thats more annoying than a large group if you ask me.

If a group of 3 players each throws 2 discs...that's 6 throws. And more than likely they are going to pick up one of the discs and play the other. So on their 2nd shot, it's 3 total throws.

If a group of 8 players each throw 1 disc...that's 8 throws. And more than likely each person is going to throw their disc (more waiting time). So on their 2nd shot, it's 8 total throws.

So do the math for 18 holes.

But yes I agree, if people are waiting behind you then you shouldn't be throwing more than 1 disc. But the blob groups are much more annoying and slow. Groups of 8 are so dumb looking that I have to laugh every time I see it. Do you all walk a single file line down fairways that are really narrow? Do you all pack into the minivan and ride to the course? Do you all make sure that you're throwing different color discs? How do you determine who is farthest out? Is it enjoyable waiting for 7 other people to throw?

But yes I agree, if people are waiting behind you then you shouldn't be throwing more than 1 disc. But the blob groups are much more annoying and slow. Groups of 8 are so dumb looking that I have to laugh every time I see it. Do you all walk a single file line down fairways that are really narrow? Do you all pack into the minivan and ride to the course? Do you all make sure that you're throwing different color discs? How do you determine who is farthest out? Is it enjoyable waiting for 7 other people to throw?

Playing with 8 people is not that hard. If most of you are experienced players, it moves pretty fast. As I stated before, I played in a group of 12 once, and it moved pretty fast, since we were all good players.

Posey needs to make his own course and play by himself; destroying all humans in the way of his speedy play. Down with human beings...down with them!!!

This is tough. Normally i'd say 4, but I've been in groups as large as 8. The real issue with large groups is if they are respectful of others or not. If i'm in a large group I always respect the smaller/faster groups and let them play through.

If you've got a group that acts right on the course, you're good. Otherwise it can be a real problem.

It really depends on how crowded the course is. I just finished a round with 6 players, many inexperienced and we were playing very slowly. However, no one came up on us so it did not matter how large we were.

4 as a general rule. I end up stepping in front of people who are throwing if there are more. Hard to keep track of where everyone is.

If you've got some kids/non-players with you, a few more, but only 4 actually throwing discs.

I think it depends on the course conditions. Ive spent slow rounds looking for discs in knee to waist high grass, every other throw. On other courses, without grass, 6 people works fine. It really comes down to how long it takes folks to throw.
On an overgrown course, if you throw first, you probably need help searching on every hole. Even if you were watching, time is a factor.
I really like 2 to 3 person groups, but on some courses, 6 playing doubles works fine. it's all relative.
Most of the time, slow groups have still all tee'd off by the time I finish a hole. I'm not going to walk down to ask if we could play through. Playing through is not an option unless they are waiting for another slow group. Just like having an oblivious couple with a toddler next to the basket. Learn patience. It's their park also.
This attitude is causing local parks to re evaluate weather they want the course removed or not. Moraga Commons as an example. Dog walkers called a town meeting to remove the course, for some reason. Never seen any conflict, but impatient folks can still ruin it for us.