• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How Normal are Diamond TRs?

From my spreadsheet file, I am able to break apart how i've rated 9ers vs full courses. my niners personally tend to clump between a 1 and 2. Where as my full courses tend to clump between a 2.5 and 2.5. I take off very little in my spreadsheet for 9 holes, less than a 1/2 point.

attachment.php

Attachments

• course data.JPG
    course data.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 235
i timed out on the edit. the third sentence should read "Where as my full courses tend to clump between a 2.5 and 3.5"

Interesting data. My chart looks very similar to the averages. What does that mean?

Hypothetically, that means that you have a very fair system of rating courses, you've seen enough that you have a good grasp of what a Typical course is, and you aren't too willing to overrate or underrate courses.

I use this to "check" myself from time to time. I don't aim for a perfect line-up (because I play more nicer courses when I vacation), but I want to make sure that I'm generally being fair in my assessments of courses.

All I can say is that I've played (and reviewed) a LOT of nondescript Sconnie/Northern IL 9 hole courses....and I'm probably a bit harsher on middle of the road courses than some.

I know you aren't Diamond yet Shad, but you should do yours.

I know you aren't Diamond yet Shad, but you should do yours.

Here you go. I think my bulge on the high end is caused by 1) I've played about 15 courses in the Austin area that are mostly just the best of the city (whereas typically I play everything, not just the good), and 2) my feeling is Atlanta, which is a substantial portion of all courses I've played, has a better than average scene with a high number of quite good but not spectacular courses.

Random note: I can create anybody's curve pretty quickly. The formulas are set up so I just have to plug in the number of each level review for the person and it churns it out. I'll take requests.

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 16
Here's MrFrosty, because he definitely deserves one.

Attachments

• Picture2.jpg
    Picture2.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 18
Here you go. I think my bulge on the high end is caused by 1) I've played about 15 courses in the Austin area that are mostly just the best of the city (whereas typically I play everything, not just the good), and 2) my feeling is Atlanta, which is a substantial portion of all courses I've played, has a better than average scene with a high number of quite good but not spectacular courses.

Random note: I can create anybody's curve pretty quickly. The formulas are set up so I just have to plug in the number of each level review for the person and it churns it out. I'll take requests.

I have some suggestions on were to head to make that average drop real quick. :)

Among the metros that i've that hit at least 10 courses, Atlanta for me personally has the highest average score. (Austin, Milwaukee, Nashville, Chattanooga, Huntsville, Birmingham, Mobile, Atlanta, Pensacola, Destin, Orlando and Tampa.)

I have some suggestions on were to head to make that average drop real quick. :)

Among the metros that i've that hit at least 10 courses, Atlanta for me personally has the highest average score. (Austin, Milwaukee, Nashville, Chattanooga, Huntsville, Birmingham, Mobile, Atlanta, Pensacola, Destin, Orlando and Tampa.)

From what I've seen, Atlanta and Charlotte have higher a g course ratings, and I don't think they're inflated. Lots of quality courses in those metro areas.

I definitely think they have Ann Arbor beat. :|

Shadrach3,
I would love to test one of your central hypothoses that all courses would follow a normal distribution by looking at the 1517 courses that Cox3 has played. I wish there was an easy way to pull up the DGCR TR rating for all of those 1517 courses and plot them on a similar chart. Shad, can you figure out anything? Even using the unfiltered DGCR ratings would be interesting.

Shadrach3,
I would love to test one of your central hypothoses that all courses would follow a normal distribution by looking at the 1517 courses that Cox3 has played. I wish there was an easy way to pull up the DGCR TR rating for all of those 1517 courses and plot them on a similar chart. Shad, can you figure out anything? Even using the unfiltered DGCR ratings would be interesting.

An interesting project! I think without getting raw data files from TimG (which I've asked about but kindly been told no), there's no way to do it except go through all 1517 courses manually...a daunting task.

If I find myself with several hours some day I might try. I can almost guarantee you that won't happen this calendar year :gross:

Shadrach3,

An interesting project! I think without getting raw data files from TimG (which I've asked about but kindly been told no), there's no way to do it except go through all 1517 courses manually...a daunting task.

If I find myself with several hours some day I might try. I can almost guarantee you that won't happen this calendar year :gross:
I just realized that even Cox3's data would be skewed because he builds his trips around playing higher rated courses, so a graph of his data should show more courses in the 3.5-5.0 range than the overall numbers might indicate.

I'm not convinced that dg course ratings using every existing course would be on a bell shaped normal curve, because there are too many variables. But I will say that since I've completed playing almost all of VA and over 340 NC courses that the 5s are the most rare, and 4.5s aren't too common either. Unfortunately, for a variety of reasons, there are way more 0-0.5 courses than there should be. The DGCR scale is limited by only going in 0.5 increments, but I suspect that there are more 0.5s than 5.0s in the world. On my 0-10 scale with 0.1 increments I have some that are 0.1-0.5 out of 10, but I can't give a 0 to a course with tees and baskets. Someday, when I get my "real" list updated I will send you my VA and NC ratings to plot.

When you find those several hours may I borrow some?

To see if the DGCR ratings do fit a normal bell shaped distribution one would have to 1) use ratings filtered by TRs (Diamond and Gold alone would be the best if you could get that) because the non-TR ratings have too many bad ratings, 2) use every existing course.

Shadrach, what if you started with smaller states like DE, RI, HI and others and plot them? Obviously, this approach also has inherent flaws, but it would be interesting to see.

Would someone out there like to set up a google sheets doc to crowd source getting each state done?

In my spreadsheet, I input a field for what the current dgcr rating of the course is. last updated in June 2021.
line 1 is Rollin Ridge 4.78. line 487 is Riviera Bay Pay 0.00.
for the courses I've played the rate of occurrence is pretty flat from between a 3.5 to 2.0.
the occurrence starts to become less and less common as the rating goes from 3.5 to 5.0 and 2.0 to 0.0.
attachment.php

Attachments

• ratings.JPG
    ratings.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 89

Latest posts