• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How often do you make 50 footers?

Chucker60

Birdie Member
No obstructions, little to no wind effect, open throw to the basket - how often do you make 50 footers? In these situations are you always trying to make or are there times when you just lay up?
Just curious how better players look at a 50 foot shot; I'm still a new player (that's very lousy) and with 50 footers I usually just lay up, as my make % when I do go for it is about 10%.

As long as there isn't crap in my swing I'm running 99% of them trying to make it. I don't play at courses where I'm putting at cliffs edge though so I would probably lay up occasionally if I had to risk actually losing my putter. I probably make 20% of 50' putts on a good day.

At 50 feet. I putt with the full intention to drop the disc either into the basket, or to miss close, which is usually a miss low on the basket donk and recover with a short putt, or a tap in. I cycle through stances left for forward, right foot forward, and straddle at distance when I practice putting as well, so I can use muscle memory enough that it just depends on what I feel is working. How much height might be needed, or what's possibly obstructing the basket that I have to go over or around. (these putts are typically also a whole lot more accurate because the disc is going to do all of the work for me once I release it along its flight path. The accuracy for this in a round usually also depends on if I rush the putt, or spend time addressing its flight path. How it arcs, etc. But, the overall goal with any putt is that if I miss, I am as close to the basket as possible.

I never "lay up" on a 50 putt unless it's windy or there's a drop off behind. My make percentage is probably 10-15%.
I do add a little more loft when I putt beyond 35' just to reduce the overthrow effect.

It really depends on your comfort for the come back putt, if you can make 30'ers all day you will be running it. If you struggle and 20' is your make distance you will likely half ass it, flat off to the side a little loft with a hyzer cross the basket as it fades. (My goto envy shot). If 20's are shaky you are parking.

I'm about 1 in 8 at that distance, and I'm confident at about 20', about 7.5/10 at 30'

It helps to have a practice basket at home. Unless it's a death putt, I'm going for it. This morning right around 50' feet two drops with a Plasma Nomad no wind, also some misses. A few weeks ago, same Nomad, two drops around 50, and two more a little closer, no wind. I've had several at that distance with a Plasma Envy and learning too with a new Eclipse Proxy. With all three discs I've had drops from further out, the Envy a few months ago 20-25 mph crosswind 85 feet out. The practice at home has made a big difference with and without wind.

Well my c2 rate is 2%, so right around that. From 50, I'm always going for it except for wind/obstruction/death but they're "safe" runs.

35' - 150' out, I'm probably using the Glitch and giving it a decent run unless there's serious danger around the basket somewhere. I tend to hit probably one a round on average. My putting from 25' and in has gotten good enough that I rarely miss the comebackers these days.

2% sounds about right. Maybe 1%. How long is 50' anyway? I used to know what a 30' putt looked like, but these days I feel like busting out the tape measure to recalibrate.

My saying is 'if you can see it, you can make it' . So I rarely lay up under 60 ft or so. But I am confident in both my long putts not going far if I miss, and my comeback putt. Doesn't always work out though (live by the sword, die by the sword....) but it sure is a fun way to play the game. I usually hit at least one long one each round...it can make a big difference. No point in laying up......

To respond seriously...

As I thought about it, I kinda realized that this is a part of a gap in the range of my practice putts. When I'm putting regularly and working off of the 4-week cycle that I like to run through I'm taking putts everywhere from 19.6 ft to 49.2 ft (moving forward or back 1 meter every make/miss and going back to the shortest distance with every miss, routines of 6-10m, and 11-15m) in most sets and from 15' to around 50' in some (a set that starts at 15', and moves 1' further every make, 50 total putts).

I only putt from 50'ish for the last few putts of one type of set and on only a handful of putts in the other. And then nothing until I get out to 20m, which is what my baskets are set apart. I will regularly step out into my backyard (really this is the extent of my putting practice the last year and a half) and take 5 putters and go back-and-forth until I make all 5 (from the spot I missed to, so almost all more than 20m with a few from right at 20m when I hit cage and stop), and then go back inside.

So I putt up to 50', don't take a lot at 50' or more, and then I don't putt at all really until the 65' to 80' range (fence backstop inside about 15').

Not great, usually like 1 in 5. I'm getting better at it now that I changed my form a bit, but c2 putts is the weakest part of my game currently.

I call my buddy Kevin "Mr. 50 foot" because he's so deadly at that range. Me? I start sucking past 20 ft. and anything over 40 ft. I'm throwing helicopter shots for a short comeback putt.

Latest posts