• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] How often do you try new plastic?

Caption that pic!

"That's a good start."

"That's all you got?"

;)

Oh, I'm sure my stash of discs that I don't throw pales in comparison to some people's.

If I sold them all for $5 each I'd have over a thousand bucks to put towards something else.

Looking to unload any? :hfive:

Nah. These are the ones I like but just don't bag.

Just for fun I went through them a couple of weeks ago and threw together a bag of nothing but Discraft and played a couple of rounds. Tried to sort of mimic what was in my main bag but with Discraft. (Zone for my Harp shots, Buzzz for my MD3, BuzzzOS for my Bard, etc.) It was fun and I didn't do any better or worse than I normally do.

New plastic? Typically in a year, I'll cycle in:

1 freshie Firebird
A beefy Destro or an Xcal
An Eagle X
1 New CD2 (or more if I lose some...)
2 Rocs
A Wizard and/or JK Aviar
Maybe a Zone

New molds? Pretty rare. I try a handful every year, just for funsies, but it's not likely for something to bump a tried & true favorite out of my lineup. Maybe 1 per year.

Way to often. I'm like a few others though that just like trying new molds or plastics. The majority never make the bag, but every once in awhile you'll find that one disc you wonder how you ever lived without. Hell, I just ordered 2 sexybirds and an undertaker this morning lol.

These days? 3-4 times a year I'll audition something new, as far as a mold I've never tried or a new plastic for a mold I already bag. That's not counting stuff I get in player's packs. Most of the time they don't make the bag, and I just end up giving them away as CTP prizes in one of the leagues I run.

You're smarter than I am.. err or.. was?

I haven't tried a new disc in a couple years now, thankfully..

Ive found my favorite brand for plastic and being a mold minimalist it makes it easy to not try new things. I could be missing things but if there was a disc or a plastic that was better then the rest then everyone would be using it and I just dont see that. Every major company has discs to fill every slot its all about what plastic blend you like the most.

I tend to be on a tight budget but I recently pulled the trigger on what I consider my 'perfect driver' Pink Ti Undertaker. The second time playing with it I sunk it in a pond. I sulkingly went to the used section and picked out a Pink Escape. It will probably fly the same but i will have the 'bastard child' attitude toward it for a year until I finally get new pink undies.

this is unfortunately how my 'new plastic' experiences go.

I buy more than i try. I have a stack of new to me molds that need some airtime... Hornet, Cro, Chief, and something Ching tooled come to mind.

I try to resist. New molds cracking my bag these days is rare. I'm not really tempted to try new molds by different companies.

I'm more likely to try a new disc if its one a mold I've previously worked with. I add a couple per year new discs to the bag each year. I'm always on the lookout for more backups for my core molds, but I'm highly particular.

Those Kastaplast bastages make it difficult with their sexy plastic. I just caved and picked up a first run Lots and another beautiful pink champy-star.

Agreed. I picked up a K1 Berg a couple months ago to try because it's winter and I have nothing better to do and now I have 5 kastaplast discs. But that plastic...

A couple years ago I went on a big disc buying spree, trying out dozens of different molds from the various brands. Didn't find much that made me want to add to my bag. Of those I considered, they were mostly either clones of what I already throw, or off-the-shelf beat-in versions of what I already throw.

Interestingly enough most of what I really liked was Westside: Shield, Harp, Bard, Stag, Ahti, Giant.

Now if I buy new plastic it is likely either a backup, a fresh disc for a cycle, a variant of something I already throw, an aesthetically pleasing/unique version of something I already throw, or something that supports a player/cause.

My bag has seen very few changes these past couple of years and I've gotten to a good comfort level with all of these molds. Even when I do shake things up, I'm hauling stuff out of storage and resisting the urge to buy. I know the latest McBeast magical fairway driver isn't going to improve my game if my form isn't solid or if I'm not putting in the time.

I bought a ridiculous number of discs from '15-'18 though. After a while you realize you're just succumbing to marketing, FOMO and the latest cool limited edition stamp. My cousin lost everything because he couldn't stop buying discs. I typed that just to see if you were still reading.

Latest posts