• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] How often do you try new plastic?

the1discChallenge

Eagle Member
I know I'm not alone here in saying that I just want to throw all the different discs. I'm pretty set with my bag- I know what works, I know what discs feel good in my hand, I know which plastics I prefer, yet I find myself contemplating buying new plastic just to throw. 9/10 times the new discs don't make my bag, but I still like throwing new molds. I know I like beadless putters, but I really want to try out a Wizard in the bag. I'm a Buzzz thrower, but I really want to try out Sling.

What do you do to suppress or feed into your urges to try new discs? Do you often switch out plastic in your bag, or do you just like to throw new stuff for fun?

I try a fair many new discs, and sometimes one makes the bag. Last year I got a Flare on a lark and now I have 6. If it's something that I think could be interesting I have no issue trying it out, but I rarely add them to a bag. Some I give to others and if I think I might one day want to use it it goes in my disc locker.

I often try new discs when my playstyle/strategy changes. Such as playing more forehand dominant, more midrange shots, overstable on anny, or hyzerflip less stable.
I bought a lot of new discs last year but the only ones that were new molds that I didn't already carry were the Anax and Zeus, which I mainly bought because I like McBeth and wanted to try his discs.

I try a fair many new discs, and sometimes one makes the bag. Last year I got a Flare on a lark and now I have 6. If it's something that I think could be interesting I have no issue trying it out, but I rarely add them to a bag. Some I give to others and if I think I might one day want to use it it goes in my disc locker.

I feel like my disc locker is getting out of hand haha how often do you revisit discs you've put away?

I feel like my disc locker is getting out of hand haha how often do you revisit discs you've put away?

Every couple of months. I sell some, mostly on marketplace here or if it's just throwers I don't care much about to play it again.

The ones I have the hardest time getting rid of are thrashed discs. Usually that means I bagged them for a long time and they became sentimental, but some discs at that point are very hard to use or no longer fit your game.

I have an old Teebird for example that is beat to hell and flips as soon as you pick it up, but it was the first disc that I actually did well with and I have not been able to part with it.

Pretty much have given up on trying much new stuff. If I can do a trade, I'll try some things but that's about it.

Every time I fill up an online cart with new discs, I always end up dropping them all and just ordering what I know. Every thing sounds sooo good, but the reality is I don't need anything. I have every thing I need and wants only reeks havoc on my game.

I think it has been a couple of years since I last bought a new mold. I'm happy with what I have. There are no magic discs out there. Other than the Teebird of course.

I have struggled with this over the past 6 plus years that I have been playing, but I have pretty much quit buying. I currently own probably 80 plus discs and never carry more than 8 or so in my bag. Basically I have pretty much quit going into the stores to look at them. If I finally decide that I really want something different I will order it on line in the exact weight and color that I want.

Often. I keep an open mind within the brands I like & find it fun to try new molds. Not necessarily 'new' just released molds but ones I haven't tried. I used to be a mold minimalist & was really stubborn about trying new molds. As soon as I let that go my scores just keep getting lower & my pdga rating keeps climbing. I like to find what works best.

The more recent changes in the past year that I've committed to are the Caiman from the BuzzzOS & Meteor from the Comet. Both have been really good changes for my game.

I also like piling up backups of molds that I've used for years. Always on the lookout for pretty plastic.

I think it's great that there are so many companies out now & there's so much choice. It's definitely better to find new molds socially through your local club. See if a player will let you try theirs once or twice before buying a new one.

Last edited:
I'm down to buying about 4 discs a year now, but I tend to find a lot too. I switch out half my bag every few months just to throw something different and challenge myself. I never bag more than 10 discs and have about 100 in boxes at home.

i used to try every new disc as i was newer to the game

over the years ive been burned on buying so many discs that sucked that i finally learned my lesson

these days i only try a new one if someone im playing with has it and lets me throw it a few times

I know I'm not alone here in saying that I just want to throw all the different discs. I'm pretty set with my bag- I know what works, I know what discs feel good in my hand, I know which plastics I prefer, yet I find myself contemplating buying new plastic just to throw. 9/10 times the new discs don't make my bag, but I still like throwing new molds. I know I like beadless putters, but I really want to try out a Wizard in the bag. I'm a Buzzz thrower, but I really want to try out Sling.

What do you do to suppress or feed into your urges to try new discs? Do you often switch out plastic in your bag, or do you just like to throw new stuff for fun?

Oh I never suppress my urges to try new discs. :) Having said that, my bag is pretty much set, so my purchases are mostly Tour Series discs to support players (Jen Allen Teebird, Holly Finley Roadrunner, etc.) and Infinite Discs that come out in the excellent I-blend plastic. :thmbup:

I would say fairly often. Discs aren't that expensive as far as hobbies go unless you're after special stamps or runs or whatever. So it's worth spending 15 bucks every now and then for the excitement of taking a new disc out to the field and seeing how it flies. I know the answer to how it flies is probably "not that different from disc x I already own", but the fun of trying something new is worth the small investment.

Often. I keep an open mind within the brands I like & find it fun to try new molds. Not necessarily 'new' just released molds but ones I haven't tried. I used to be a mold minimalist & was really stubborn about trying new molds. As soon as I let that go my scores just keep getting lower & my pdga rating keeps climbing. I like to find what works best.

The more recent changes in the past year that I've committed to are the Caiman from the BuzzzOS & Meteor from the Comet. Both have been really good changes for my game.

I also like piling up backups of molds that I've used for years. Always on the lookout for pretty plastic.

I think it's great that there are so many companies out now & there's so much choice. It's definitely better to find new molds socially through your local club. See if a player will let you try theirs once or twice before buying a new one.

This is my mind set too. I my head tells me to be a mold minimalist, but my heart tells me to throw all of them.

It's funny you mention your mid line up- I'm currently rocking the Buzzz OS/Buzzz/Comet line up and it's been really nice so far. I'm a little iffy on the Comet though, which is leading me to look for some other stuff just in case

I'll try anything once. That doesn't mean I'm looking to bag it, but I'm always game to try new molds.

Every once in a while you happen upon something that completely surprises you and competes for a spot in the bag.

I am typically pretty happy with my chosen discs but still try new or different stuff all of the time. Seldom does anything impress me enough to make an extra spot in my bag or kick anything out but you just never know. The ones I like go in the stash and the ones I don't like usually get given away to someone who I think might like it.

f84e03a59c77fc9dec2215a538c70a89.jpg

I am typically pretty happy with my chosen discs but still try new or different stuff all of the time. Seldom does anything impress me enough to make an extra spot in my bag or kick anything out but you just never know. The ones I like go in the stash and the ones I don't like usually get given away to someone who I think might like it.

f84e03a59c77fc9dec2215a538c70a89.jpg

Caption that pic!

"That's a good start."

"That's all you got?"

;)

I Nearly have the bag I want of discs, so I do not try discs all that much. I do get backups if a disc in a plastic I use is being stopped or an entire mold is going to be OOP soon. I did also find the midrange as even coming back to the sport in 2916 but got it in 2017 the DX Stingray at 175 grams was being shifted by winds over 10 MPH every single time and powering up on the mold causes the disc to turn and burn. I also tried a replacement Stalker in Z for the XL as premium molds in Z were stopped. I did try a new mold last year in 2019 but the Proline Titanic is almost a Magnet with a Spacer, so that was not too diferent. The only issue with the Proline Titanic was just getting used to the slower speed disc as I will use th mold for when it is 90-93 F+ for temps as Jawbreaker Magnets are not great in hot weather or the putt is a tight gap/need to do a forehand putt as I am then using the Hash marks in a small part of the rim.

I did last year make a mistake of the Z Stalker thinking it was going oop but Discraft was just clearing out the PFN discs before running a new stamp so I have 6 spare discs I might not need and with how durable Z is, I am set for life with Stalker discs.

Last edited: