• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How rough are you at OB during a casual round.

A variety of posts here brings an important factor to mind: Some of us play courses with lots of OB, sometimes integral to the design, while others play courses with very little OB, sometimes unplayable (a pond, or road with traffic), or none at all.

The decision of how to handle OB in a casual round, besides being a personal preference, is also of variable effect on the round.

Very true.

The courses around me have little OB, some ponds, tennis courts, fenced in ball fields and roads.

But for tournaments, they do a lot of roping off, mostly for speed of play. So sometimes we play tourney OB if we're practicing before an event, otherwise we just play normal OB because the rough on a few of these courses is worse than taking the OB stroke.

I have played myself the sidewalk on the local holes that have had them as out of bounds in tournaments as well as roads, more for safety. However on road at one point I did not play the 1 meter drop rule as it was not in affect with the PDGA at the time, but that was when you had to play the 2 meter rule from the one set of rules from 200_-2006. :rolleyes:

What rule books were you using? The "1 meter drop" rule, which I assume to mean marking a lie up to one meter from where the disc was last in-bounds (w/penalty) has been in the PDGA rule book since 1997, and the rule prior to that was the same only it was designated as "a playable lie" rather than specified as 1 meter from the line.

I play by the spirit of PDGA rules, even in casual play. Meaning, the rules that dictate the structure of the game are always followed (Mandos, Scoring, OB, etc.) but I'm not enforcing 'pace of play' rules; like 30 seconds on the tee, 3 minutes for a lost disc, etc.

Generally speaking, I follow the rules of the game because I feel like any other way is creating a false expectation of my game when it 'matters'.

There are a couple courses in my area where the local regulars seem to play by different rules every round, which annoys me. To me, disc golf is fun enough on its own without making up stupid rules for each round...

Regarding course signage: I can tell you that there are some really awful (seriously, downright terrible) signage out there. I'm looking at you Charlotte, NC!:doh: So, while I look at the signs for distance and OB information, I don't feel they are reliable enough in all areas to trump PDGA rules, so I just play by PDGA standards...

What rule books were you using? The "1 meter drop" rule, which I assume to mean marking a lie up to one meter from where the disc was last in-bounds (w/penalty) has been in the PDGA rule book since 1997, and the rule prior to that was the same only it was designated as "a playable lie" rather than specified as 1 meter from the line.

Oh then Our area must not have been using the one meter rule for tournaments. :\

I play by the spirit of PDGA rules, even in casual play. Meaning, the rules that dictate the structure of the game are always followed (Mandos, Scoring, OB, etc.) but I'm not enforcing 'pace of play' rules; like 30 seconds on the tee, 3 minutes for a lost disc, etc.

Generally speaking, I follow the rules of the game because I feel like any other way is creating a false expectation of my game when it 'matters'.

There are a couple courses in my area where the local regulars seem to play by different rules every round, which annoys me. To me, disc golf is fun enough on its own without making up stupid rules for each round...

Regarding course signage: I can tell you that there are some really awful (seriously, downright terrible) signage out there. I'm looking at you Charlotte, NC!:doh: So, while I look at the signs for distance and OB information, I don't feel they are reliable enough in all areas to trump PDGA rules, so I just play by PDGA standards...

I only do the lost disc rule in casual as of speed of play but that is 5 minutes if disc is really lost. Most of the time 90% I find the disc at PDGA rule but Have lost one only to find it next day on same course weekend.

I don't play OB because that's no fun. Even if I'm in a bush I'll probably get out in a super casual round

Depends on how casual. If I'm keeping score yes I play OB... and 2 meter rule... as they would be enforced in a tournament.
I play a lot where we don't keep score. I will play the easiest lie to play from. Some OB is into private property and no go. Water of course is bad. May just take a mulligan, may abandon the hole and move on. Lots of levels to my casual play and those I play with.

Small chuckle at the "play by the signs" folks.

Obviously when that's possible it's the correct thing to do. But that's not always the case. Unfortunately, not all courses have signage. Around here several can't have signage. So it comes off as smug-but-ignorant when someone thinks "play by the signs" is a sufficient answer to this topic.

I'm so smug and ignorant, I make my own signs as I go.

We do a fair amount of verbal decisions/confirmations regarding OB, especially when playing new or temp or weather-impacted layouts. Always best to get this out of the way before a disc is in the air.

***waits patiently for course design purists to hurl insults from their ivory tower***

Surrounded by water ALWAYS out of bounds, even in the most casual of rounds. (Unless it's a shallow puddle that will dry up in 2 days.)

So a 2.5 day puddle is OB? Who monitors the puddle to determine final evaporation time (FET)?

For narrow creeks, I like in-or-across OB, because it leads to more fair punishment. Don't like to see people benefitting from a throw that's so bad it's beyond OB.

Usually a throw that's so bad it's beyond OB makes for a much harder shot than bringing the disc back in bounds and taking a stroke. Usually. Your opponent(s) should be allowed to make this call. Throw from where it lands or bring it back in and take the stroke.

I like to play sidewalks almost always OB, unless the fairway deliberately crosses over the top of the sidewalk. Aside from having a very clear boundary to add a new challenge to the hole, it also incentivizes safe play away from a public thoroughfare. Wrong side of walkway should also be OB. Similar logic to above, regarding fair punishment.

More importantly:
Everyone always plays 2 meter rule, right?? :popcorn:

Most players in the USA don't know what a meter is.

Thanks.

Typically I play on or over sidewalks and roads are OB.

Surrounded by water is a little more up in the air. If it's marked on the course/map/whatever as OB I'll play it as such. If unmarked, we usually allow playing it where it lies if someone wants to get wet to do so. Otherwise OB.

Other side of creek/river is almost always OB.

Just depends on who I'm with.

I have one group I play with where we are always at least playing course OB and sometimes setting additional restrictions on certain holes to make things tougher than intended.

Another group I play with we are all just kind of simultaneously doing our own thing while playing together. Some guys are playing it where it lies while others are playing course OB.

If I'm playing solo it varies depending on my mood between play it where it lies/course OB/how much do I want to torture myself?

To me casual means just that, casual. Me and the guys I play with play no OB and take free relief from stupidly difficult lies. The idea is to have fun and enjoy a day throwing plastic around the park.

To me casual means just that, casual. Me and the guys I play with play no OB and take free relief from stupidly difficult lies. The idea is to have fun and enjoy a day throwing plastic around the park.

I used to play that way. Nothing wrong with it and its all about the fun and people you're playing with. Used to play with a few guys this way until one of them kept bragging about how good he was and started telling us after each hole what the score is and how far below par he was. It got annoying real fast and when you would remind him that all those "reliefs" he's taking and the branches he's holding out of the way are why he's playing "better", he would throw a fit.

That group disbanded after one season.

I now find it much more fun and rewarding to make nice shots out of stupidly difficult lies. Taking relief just feels like cheating to me now.

I used to play that way. Nothing wrong with it and its all about the fun and people you're playing with. Used to play with a few guys this way until one of them kept bragging about how good he was and started telling us after each hole what the score is and how far below par he was. It got annoying real fast and when you would remind him that all those "reliefs" he's taking and the branches he's holding out of the way are why he's playing "better", he would throw a fit.

I now find it much more fun and rewarding to make nice shots out of stupidly difficult lies. Taking relief just feels like cheating to me now.

I'm so ignorant that I always take a stroke if I take relief. Guess I should read the rule book someday.

I'm so ignorant that I always take a stroke if I take relief. Guess I should read the rule book someday.

Most of the time, you do have to take a stroke to take relief. Free relief is only available for specific instances that don't necessarily crop up all that often on most courses (non-permanent standing water a.k.a. puddles, dangerous animals/insects, etc).

From Keller's post, I'm imagining the "relief" he and his old playing partners were taking would not be legal if playing by the book, penalty or not. I'm picturing a lot of lateral relief, which is not provided as an option at all by rule.

I've always played OB strict for that reason. If I was just spraying drives all over the place but "getting" -4 or -5 down rounds it messes with me when I play our weekly league. The same reason I don't count second putts on casual rounds. It's harder to switch in and out of a "this actually matters" mindset than to just play like you're supposed to all the time

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I really don't like sidewalks as OB. it's just a random strip through the middle of the fairway that's OB. You can use it as a border for OB (on or beyond the sidewalk is OB), but just on seems kinda arbitrary. Almost never play OB on casual rounds.

The other two depend on the hole. We have some creeks here with a very obvious bank, and others where its vague where the bank is and isnt. That usually determines that one. If the creek is to the side of the hole and doesn't completely cross it, then we play the other side as OB.

Latest posts