• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How soon after a dye can I rub with acetone?

StoneWallKid

Birdie Member
I left just the circle on a discraft stamp and misjudged when cutting for a nubula dye with a touch of acetone. The red stamp turned silver in some parts and will no longer work with my plan.:doh: Will the stamp (red and silver) still be removed as if I did it pre dye? How long should I wait to go at it so that I don't smear my fresh dye job?

Thanks!

I left just the circle on a discraft stamp and misjudged when cutting for a nubula dye with a touch of acetone. The red stamp turned silver in some parts and will no longer work with my plan.:doh: Will the stamp (red and silver) still be removed as if I did it pre dye? How long should I wait to go at it so that I don't smear my fresh dye job?

Thanks!

Post a pic if you can and maybe elaborate a little more. Im a little confused. Id be glad to help if I can though.

I wouldn't use acetone on anything you dyed. If I understand right you tried to cover the stamp and do a dye on the rest of the disc, but ended up "dyeing" part of the stamp, so it lost its color, and you now want to remove it? My only suggestion would be to cover the disc and cut out the stencil, then remove it with acetone so you dont' touch your dye with it - it will almost certainly smear your dye job.

Just to chime in with another $.02......I do a lot of painting with acetone and have found that there is a tiny bit of wiggle room to manipulate colors if done quickly enough. Also I have used acetone to blur edges (to add simple shading) on a freshly dipped stencil. I generally rinse a fresh dye in warm water and scrub completely with dawn or similar until no more 'surface' pigment rinses off. For at least a few hours afterwards acetone will pull some of the color from the plastic. You would be best to give the disc at least a few days before attempting to remove the stamp without altering the dye. Keep in mind that there will be a ghost stamp where the stamp was and some of the red can smear into the plastic so remove the stamp A little at a time to avoid extra unintended color. Hope this helps/makes sense.

Latest posts