• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How the acorn grows to be a mighty oak? Completed.

Dang, I was leery at first because of the length, but that inspired me and actually gave me confidence. Very well written. It seemed to lay out what I feel like I kind of already knew but could never have expressed so well or so accurately. It definitely gave me a better, clearer understanding of how to try to progress.

I would describe myself as a new player definitely working on principles #2 and #3 with an eye towards the intermediate level.

Thank you for sharing this slowRoll.

Great write up ! In my second season and just rolled over 100 rounds for this year , I joined the local league and played with the big dogs last night . Partner and I scored -12 on 27 holes , winning team was -18 . The morning locker room talk was " I gotta learn to putt !". Your pep talk was what I needed , I can see what I need to do, THANKS!

There are definitely a lot of subtle things mentioned in there that are BIG keys to growing as a player.
It's very much worth the time to read and re-read.
Thanks for sharing this!

This was a pretty good write-up! Definitely something to read if you're serious about getting better at this sport. This pretty much reinforced what I have been slowly learning by playing and reading a lot. GREAT JOB! :clap::thmbup::clap:

Nice write up

Dang, I was leery at first because of the length, but that inspired me and actually gave me confidence. Very well written. It seemed to lay out what I feel like I kind of already knew but could never have expressed so well or so accurately. It definitely gave me a better, clearer understanding of how to try to progress.

I would describe myself as a new player definitely working on principles #2 and #3 with an eye towards the intermediate level.

Thank you for sharing this slowRoll.

Thank you for reading it, and I'm glad you all enjoyed it. I put my time in creating this for players just like you. It's not meant to be an in detail assesment, and I'm not the best at explaining all of that anyway. Concepts are what I want you to take from this article. A basic understanding of simple things you and I can do to improve ourselves as players. This is an overview covering some of the basic habits I've observed over time from the best players I've had a chance to be around. Guys like Dave Feldberg, Will Schusterick, Barry Schultz, and the man himself Ken Climo. By playing and hanging out with these guys I've noticed enough consistent traits that I thought I finally had enough to complete the Pro section of this write up(original from 2011 here). Thanks again for the kind words.

God bless.

Last edited:
I haven't read that but it sounds like maybe I should. The reviews on Amazon look pretty good and they mention it's a quick read.

Succinct and well framed, within ten principles. Easy to digest and easy to relate with.

I may suggest that learning course management during competitive play is extremely important in the development of one's game. Of course, course management could be related to principles number five, six or seven, depending on the specific factors extracted from managing the course.

I appreciate your effort and will likely jot doing your principles and carry them around in my bag, to serve as an aide-memoire.

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Thank you Adam.

I wish more people would share their thoughts on concepts like these. I'm not an expert, but rather a guy attempting to relate my 5+ years of playing, learning, and growing in the game to an audience that I genuinely believe is hungry to learn more. Unfortunately the reality is that we have dozens of "My 5 favorite discs are" threads that amount to absolutely nothing, and not enough informational threads.

For those of you that criticize: If what I wrote is garbage, then tell me why it's garbage. Put your own ideas out there. The hit and run type commenter that troll informational threads like these are generally the same know-it-all types that don't lift a finger to help anyone but themselves. Sad to say; but the world is full of them.

Building something takes time. Finding out that someone else covered these topics in a well reviewed book made me feel quite proud because my ideas are entirely my own. They are the culmination of my thoughts and my experiences. If what I wrote shares similarities with a publication that has been well received, then that is truly a flattering comparison and reinforces that I'm not that far off from the truth.

Nice manifesto, slowRoll! Definitely some good food for thought, and a great read for reflecting on the game. I'll definitely keep a copy for later reading.

You weren't aiming for details, but I'll definitely give your waist angle business a try. For hyzer and anhyzer I think about disc, for sure, but especially arm angle, more than waist angle. I'll have to think about that some more. [Edit: I did try it out in a field a bit, and didn't have much luck, compared with my traditional approaches. I'll have to think on it some more, and try again.]

Put your throwing elbow out in front of you while you are sitting in your computer chair(like the right pec drill). Look at the top of your forearm compared to the levelness of the floor. Extend your arm out away from your body a few times... that is close to the actual angle of the shot you would throw. Now lean foreward in the chair and extend the arm, now lean back... Do you see what happens to the angle of the shot and how big a change it makes. When you get that, I promise you it will be a huge difference for you.:)

Throwing RHBH, you can actually make a more understable disc like a leopard go further left around a corner than you can a firebird. Just lean over on it and give it more hyzer.

Don't take my word for it, keep testing it out. ;)

Building something takes time. Finding out that someone else covered these topics in a well reviewed book made me feel quite proud because my ideas are entirely my own. They are the culmination of my thoughts and my experiences. If what I wrote shares similarities with a publication that has been well received, then that is truly a flattering comparison and reinforces that I'm not that far off from the truth.

You've pretty much copied word for word i.e. plagarized Bob Rotella's book. You can try to pass it off as your own, but it's plagarism. These idea's originated from noted sports psychologist Bob Rotella.....not you. All you've done is substitute the word "golf, with the words "disc golf".

You've pretty much copied word for word i.e. plagarized Bob Rotella's book...

The words I've written are entirely from my own experiences. I do not use them not for any sort of personal gain, but solely with the intent to help others. If I had know of or have read that book I would have cited it as reference, but I did not read it or know of its existence. I stand by what I've learned and written over the last 5 years. You're just making slanderous accusations based upon your own twisted world view. Perhaps you may lie or steal from others, but anyone that knows me from this site can speak to my character and how I live my life.

That is not how I roll.

You've pretty much copied word for word i.e. plagarized Bob Rotella's book. You can try to pass it off as your own, but it's plagarism. These idea's originated from noted sports psychologist Bob Rotella.....not you. All you've done is substitute the word "golf, with the words "disc golf".

Yeahhh. Slowroll doesn't really seem like the lying type so you're pretty wrong here :|.

have you read the book? because i have, probably 5 or 6 times at this point. and while some of the ideas are similar, none of it is close enough to call it plagiarism. rotella's book is aimed moreso at the established player who already has 'their' game established to some degree and needs help progressing it. most of the stuff that slowroll has written is aimed at newer players.

i had several 'a-ha' moments while reading the book. several of the concepts he lays out are things that i had considered and tossed around in my mind at different times. but he presents them in a way that they can be better understood, digested, and retained. none of the information is 'ground breaking'. any non-moron who is somewhat thoughtful and spends enough time playing golf can figure most of that stuff out. the nice thing about the book is - it's all laid out for you and presented in a easy to handle format.

... any non-moron who is somewhat thoughtful and spends enough time playing golf can figure most of that stuff out...

Well I guess I qualify GLong. :D

Thank you and Connor as well for speaking up.

Great stuff! Wish I would have had something like this to read over when I first began. I'll be sure to send a link to a couple of buddies.