• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to Avoid Losing Discs

In 20 years I've only lost a handful of discs---excluding the many dozens that landed in bodies of water. On dry land, these are good tips but they don't save lost discs nearly as much as they save time searching for discs.

The many dozens that "landed in bodies of water" definitely count as lost discs, especially since water is the main culprit for lost discs. That is like saying "in 20 years I've only had a handful of bogies, except for the dozens of holes where I scored over par. :doh: :doh:

I know. But that wasn't my point. Which was my lighthanded way of saying

(1) Almost all my lost discs were lost in water;
(2) Of this long list of tips, almost none of them apply to a disc thrown into water;
(3) For the other 95% of the tips, it's not really about "lost discs" as much as
(4) These (good) tips are really tips for cutting disc searches from 15 minutes to 1 minute, which is a good thing.
(5) Which, admittedly, saves lost discs at those times when you don't have time for that 15 minute search.

I know. But that wasn't my point. Which was my lighthanded way of saying

(1) Almost all my lost discs were lost in water;
(2) Of this long list of tips, almost none of them apply to a disc thrown into water;
(3) For the other 95% of the tips, it's not really about "lost discs" as much as
(4) These (good) tips are really tips for cutting disc searches from 15 minutes to 1 minute, which is a good thing.
(5) Which, admittedly, saves lost discs at those times when you don't have time for that 15 minute search.

I agree. Even the tip about getting a floating disc isn't always practical unless you are allowed to and willing to take a swim. I've seen so many wahoos and dragons floating 50 feet off shore.

The best tops are to find a landmark, and don't throw blind shots if you aren't familiar with the landscape.

In a tourney, I threw a perfect Anny down the fairway and through a row of trees guarding the entrance to the green. The disc completely disappeared until the group following us threw their second shot, at which point the disc magically fell out of a tree and landed at the feet of a fellow competitor.

3. Watch your disc until it stops. I see this again and again, usually on a bad throw, where the guy turns away and misses a kick off a tree, monster skip, roll, or other unexpected result that places their disc somewhere far from where they will start looking. Your buddies can wait their turn until you're sure your disc has come to a rest.

14. Don't forget to look up. On some courses discs getting caught up in trees is rare enough that we sometimes forget to consider the possibility. Also, just because you've hit the canopy of a tree 200 times and your disc fell out every time, don't assume it did it the 201st time.

These two have lead to some of my longest searches. I watch until I think it has stopped but on several occasions I have waited 3-5 seconds and then turned around to get my bag. After a 10 minute search, I finally find the disc where it couldn't be because I "would have seen it roll across the fairway". Apparently it happened during my bag retrieval (or a gopher moved it). Also I have made that throw that disappears from sight when it is 6 feet above ground. I go down and search for a while until I find it stuck in a bush or even balanced on a very thin limb about 6 feet from the ground. It amazes me that my disc can even be supported by the limb let alone that it came to rest there.

Real men throw over trees duh.
No, sperm boys trying to impress giggly girls with their thumber throw over trees. Sometimes they actually make it. Sometimes they ask for a baseball, tape measure or climb the tree because they didn't leave enough blood upstairs.

My point was 50' isnt "overkill" if you can throw a spike hyzer.
My point is that even heavy duty tape measures are going to be largely ineffective for disc poking if you have to reach out 50'. Even my Fat Max will start to crumple around 15' if there's nothing to brace it.

Using bright pink and orange discs has saved me a lot of time and a lot of lost discs. I play alone in a densely forest/tech course that loves to swallow up discs. Keeping your eye on your throw and "training" your eye to spot one color will keep your discs alive.

Using bright pink and orange discs has saved me a lot of time and a lot of lost discs. I play alone in a densely forest/tech course that loves to swallow up discs. Keeping your eye on your throw and "training" your eye to spot one color will keep your discs alive.

I agree, important to throw discs that stand out against background. For me it is blue, white, yellow, and pink. Orange and red blend in and disappear for me. Never throw a black disc unless whole is wide open.

No, sperm boys trying to impress giggly girls with their thumber throw over trees. Sometimes they actually make it. Sometimes they ask for a baseball, tape measure or climb the tree because they didn't leave enough blood upstairs.

Which course has these hoards of giggly girls waiting to be impressed? I've been playing in wrong places, all I see are newbie torque monkeys, no deodorant hippies, and paunchy old men.

Attention seeking behavior abounds on forums. (and I hate giggling girls)

On to lost discs; I carried a fat max for a while but never used it much, easier to throw a Lacrosse ball then trying to flex a tape measure that keeps collapsing and some times when you do reach it it does little good as it hasn't enough beef left in the tape to poke it out and there's no place to hook it either.

Which course has these hoards of giggly girls waiting to be impressed? I've been playing in wrong places, all I see are newbie torque monkeys, no deodorant hippies, and paunchy old men.

Well, if your course has newbie torque monkeys on it, you're playing it.

Allegedly, these same courses have a guy in a polyester suit chomping on a cigar from a disc manufacturer with a briefcase full of cash. Supposedly after seeing one of these impressive overhands or spike hyzers with a Speed 17 overstable driver (never mind if it gets stuck in a tree, goes a 1000' OB, or nearly kills a woman pushing a baby stroller) he jumps out of the woods with a buxom beauty on each arm and says "You're gonna be a star some day kid. Sign here and get on the gravy train!".

Granted, I've never seen any of that, but the torque monkeys keep on dreaming.

Well, if your course has newbie torque monkeys on it, you're playing it.

Allegedly, these same courses have a guy in a polyester suit chomping on a cigar from a disc manufacturer with a briefcase full of cash. Supposedly after seeing one of these impressive overhands or spike hyzers with a Speed 17 overstable driver (never mind if it gets stuck in a tree, goes a 1000' OB, or nearly kills a woman pushing a baby stroller) he jumps out of the woods with a buxom beauty on each arm and says "You're gonna be a star some day kid. Sign here and get on the gravy train!".

Granted, I've never seen any of that, but the torque monkeys keep on dreaming.

lol, I think I remember seeing that scene in Pink Floyd The Wall.

I did one of my newbie buddies a favor. Saw him trying to huck a Misselin, 15 speed way over stable disc using a ridiculous back wrenching anheiser throw. On the spot I traded him a comet for the Misselin. Now he has a disc that will actually show him if he is using proper form, and I have a good warm up disc. After tossing that meat hook a few times before my rounds, I can actually throw my other drivers 30 feet longer than normal.

A few things I would add.

Largely, dont throw floater discs. Most aren't great discs and they aren't that useful as a whole to get used to. Plus, just because a disc floats doesn't mean you will get it back. When I started, i watched many of them sail out and float to the middle of a lake...never getting them back. You are less likely to lose a disc you know, and throw it confidently, than you are to throw some clunky floater because you are scared of the water.

Losing discs is a part of the game. We get spoiled in DG. It is a really really cheap sport to play. The occasional lost disc is part of it. So throw your discs, throw them confidently. And know you may lose a few. But if you lose a $20 disc, then you paid $20 for an afternoon of fun and exercise, and in the end, its not that big of a deal.

The next thing I would add is color. Dont buy clear white, yellow, brown, green, dark, black, etc discs if you are afriad of losing them. I have a dark purple vulcan and have to search for it nearly every time I throw it. Nature is great at camouflaging many colors. On the whole, it doesn't hide pink and bright blue very well. Pick your discs to stand out...especially in the fall when leaves are down, and you will find them more often.

Last edited:
I looked into this tape measurer and it does come out a mile, especially straight up so it's weight doesn't bow it, but the bulk an weight were just too much for me to add it to my bag. I keep a 50' length of parachord with a big ass lead fishing weight tied to it in my car in case I need it to retrieve a disc. Generally I can get them down by throwing my water bottle, assuming it's nearly full. It's heavy and I always have it on me. Plus, unlike a branch, rock or lead weight, I'm not likely to kill someone if it hits them. But, for stowing in the car or guys who don't mind the bulk and weight, the tape measurer is a great idea.

??????????

Latest posts