• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to build a home made Disc Golf Tone Pole Target.

puaahunter

Bronze level trusted reviewer
i've searched the internet and disc golf forums looking for examples of home made tone poles, looking for inspiration to make one for my back yard. i've appreciated some of these links that i've found here and here. However, the most inspiring tone i've heard from a tone pole target met my ears at Lucky Mud DGC in Skamokawa, WA. Ol'Bob (the resident groundskeeper/DG pro) was kind enough to offer some direction on the NWDiscGolfNews Forums right here. taking all of these things to heart, and wanting to proceed in the cheapest manner possible, what i'll list below are my plans. a how to video follows.

1. i planted a 2' long 1 1/4" diameter threaded pipe in a 2' hole filled with cement. i left 8" exposed. make sure it's plumb up and down, straight as an arrow.

pipe.jpg

2. on that, i screwed a 1 1/4" coupler so that i can use this planted pipe for something else in the future if i want to.

3. on to the coupler, i screwed a 4' long 1 1/4" pipe for the main height of the target

4. on to the 4' tall pipe, i screwed my special custom made cap. it's a 1 1/4" cap with a hole drilled through the center of the top. through that hole is a 1/2" bolt that's 2 1/2" long, secured with washers and nuts. this bolt was then sharpened to a taper on the ends on which the weight of the target will rest.

inside.jpg

tip.jpg

5. on this whole assembly, i placed the target. the target is a ~60 cu ft compressed air tank with the bottom cut off and the top valve cut off. the brass fitting was left in the top of the tank to be placed on the post. i rested this tank on the post and the weight of the tank holds it in place.

tonepole.jpg

here's a quick video of the assembly and the final product:

Looks really cool, but doesn't that give you a pretty generous target area with the tank being so tall?

Looks really cool, but doesn't that give you a pretty generous target area with the tank being so tall?

yeah, but it sounds nice and chimes long!

i have a ~20 cu ft tank (about 1/3 the size) as well. i plan to cut the bottom on that one and install an eye hook in the top valve threads to be a "hanging target". that one will be closer to the size of the sweet spot of a regular basket, but i don't have a great place to hang/install it in my yard.

yeah, but it sounds nice and chimes long!

i have a ~20 cu ft tank (about 1/3 the size) as well. i plan to cut the bottom on that one and install an eye hook in the top valve threads to be a "hanging target". that one will be closer to the size of the sweet spot of a regular basket, but i don't have a great place to hang/install it in my yard.

You could also just cut the bottom off the tank to the desired length, if you trimmed 18-24 inches off the bottom and left the rest of the assembly the same it would give you the right sized target.

It would change the harmonics, giving you a higher pitched ring (so it depends if you really like the sound it currently makes) but for others that want the right size target this setup looks like it could EASILY be modified to fit their needs.

Nice job!

Apparently my post from work didn't go through:

All you have to do is mark it off with tape. Just like you would on an Object course. Often times they will mark 2 different heights, one at the top, and one below it. Ams can hit any taped area, pros only the top.

Some people also play that an ace is anything that makes the tonal sound from the tee.

\/\/

Nice Work!

I agree that it's too long. I would trim it to be the right size of the height of the chain portion of most baskets. But, I love the welding tank concept.

We are thinking about putting in a tone pole course at a brewery here in Asheville and using Pony Kegs to be thematic.

When I first moved to Humboldt I hated them... but now I think Tone Poles are fun!
Have fun with it!
DSCJNKY

Nice tone pole.

Like others said tho.... i think that tank would make 2 nice tones.
and better accuracy practice.

Why not just throw in to that toilet? That sounds like fun too.

I just want to clarify that I was not trying to diss your tone pole by comparing it to the toilet.
Tone pole is awesome and very bongy and the toilet...not so much. I just saw that toilet and was like, that would be funny to throw in to.

He could just mark off a certain area, especially if he has another basket to compare it to. Or he could have the measurements from the ground to the top of the basket part and then measure up to the top of the chains. So you could easily assume between the marked areas is good.

i've been thinking about painting it a really cool color, then masking off and painting some nice target lines- that way there's an option.

i'm not sure though, because the "rusty tank" look is kinda cool.

i'll probably wait until summer when i'm outside more to see what i like.

Nice Work!

I agree that it's too long. I would trim it to be the right size of the height of the chain portion of most baskets. But, I love the welding tank concept.

We are thinking about putting in a tone pole course at a brewery here in Asheville and using Pony Kegs to be thematic.

When I first moved to Humboldt I hated them... but now I think Tone Poles are fun!
Have fun with it!
DSCJNKY

Humboldt is full of tonepoles. I like the one's chainsaw has been making with old fire extinguishers.

I just got an empty 5 gal stainless beer cylinder. Thinking of making a tone pole out of it. A little large in diameter, but good target height. Not to mention a keg target would be pretty cool.

Maybe call a local dive shop and ask if they have tanks that can't be certified any more. They would make a good bell too.

Latest posts