• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to Drive from this Tee...

toothyfish

* Ace Member *
The picture below is the long tee on #17 at the Warwick Town Park Course in NY. It is about 170 ft from the tee to the rise that you see. FYI, the short tee is on that rise, just to the left. Past that, it drops downhill into a bit of a valley then comes back up about 100ft from the basket. Total hole distance is 651. It is a wide open grass area and down the right side is a bit flatter, but adds alot of distance.

Since I'm throwing uphill to start, the disc loses alot of speed, fades early, landing on the down slope, still well over 400 ft from the basket. Been using a valkyrie/beast type of driver, thrown normally.

Curious if a different shot and/or disc (meaning stabilty) would get me in position to be at the basket in two. I can drive low 300's on the flat, so I would think with a different stategy, I could do this.

39605e56_m.jpg

How far can you throw a Thumber or Tommy? If it's over 300 feet then you should be all set. Otherwise I would go with the "horkin' hyzer".

How far can you throw a Thumber or Tommy? If it's over 300 feet then you should be all set.
Never tried, but interesting.
Otherwise I would go with the "horkin' hyzer".
Such as an overstable thrown out to the right (RHBH) and let it come way back in?

Maybe a forehand roller, I could probably get it to the top and let it roll down the other side>

Last edited:
Looks like the type of hole you could 2 if you learned how to throw long range rollers. I prefer champion Sidewinders for this shot. Just aim down the left side and throw the disc with as much speed as you can muster. You want the disc to travel most of it's distance through the air as it normally would but since it's so understable it will turnover and if done properly the disc will hit the ground on it's right wing about 300' out and then roll an additional 100' - 300' depending on hardness of ground, grass height, wind, etc..

I was thinking a long turn-over roller. A good beat in Valk thrown level or with a slight an-hyzer (depending on condition of the disk) should fly to the crest and get a good roll down the other side. I have a 10 yr old Valk that I can throw flat and carry it about 150-180 and still get it to roll another 100+ on flat ground.

Hmmm. Sidewinder...just got one, 167, which is my normal driver weight. Have to try it. I've only throw rollers by accident, usually landing near the basket and rolling to the next town over.

Seems an overwhelming favorite by several of you.

BTW, Are "heavier" discs better for rollers? A little more momentum, maybe...I have a 171 Monarch.

I would throw this as hard as I could and try to miss the tree on the left.

Hope this helps.

Just whatever your longest shot it. For me, it would be a wild Boss throw with everything I got.

Personally, I hate rollers as where I have played, there is always a stick it bounces on pointing it in a weird direction, usually the opposite direction of where I want to go.

I've seen some rollers thrown on other holes. THis hole is all grass that is well-kept. There's no doubt it would roll, that is, if I can make the proper throw. But I've never seen anyone try it from this tee. In fact, I've only ever seen one other person throw from here. Did the same thing I did, up and stall.

The "hard as I can approach" seems to stall the disc high. The rise may not appear so high in the picture. Maybe I need to throw closer to the ground, but there is the risk of "stuffing" it on the up slope and having 500+ feet to go, with and uphill run-up.:eek:

Maybe an anny line, thrown hard with an understable, would help the disc get up and over, yet curve back and down the other side, avoiding the stall, and continuing down the hill. And if my release angle is too high, it may turn into a roller. :)

Now I have some ideas. Time to fling plastic!

Last edited:
i'm just like you i have a bit of a problem with rollers, they only happen when i don't want it. i will always throw understable up hill leopard, teebird, roadrunner depending on the wind. then i would take my second shot with my teebird and be ready for a par shot.

go with the roller, and let it just coast down the other side of that hill.

Im not sure where the hole is, right, left or straight. I don't think I'd throw a BH roller or annie because of the tree. I'd be more likely to throw a FH roller or hyzer-flip.

I used to have a DVD (Skylands Classic) that was actually played at this course, I recognized the photo from seeing it on the video. The video showed the top2 cards through multiple rounds, and the majority of the shots thrown here by the pros were backhand rollers best I can remember. Awesome course!

Im not sure where the hole is, right, left or straight. I don't think I'd throw a BH roller or annie because of the tree. I'd be more likely to throw a FH roller or hyzer-flip.

The hole is a bit to the right of the photo. The tree wouldn't really be an issue. Even if an anny carried "too far" there is plenty of room down the right.

FH or BH roller, could work, one might be better than the other, depending on where it wound up. I'd rather be a bit to the right, as the valley is not as low, giving a better approach/upshot. At the bottom of the valley, you can't see the basket, and would be throwing up yet another rise.

A RHFH roller, would tend to roll to the right, wouldn't it, if it hit and more of an angle?

I would try to throw my XL as flat as possible that still allows it to clear the rise and hope for the best on the other side.

I think a bh roller that lands past the rise would be money. Although, I'd probably throw a flex shot over the rise with my Surge SS. It will hold the anny angle for a long time even after it goes over the hill and will eventually flex back for some extra D. For me, this is safer than a roller, but I'd probably throw a roller on my second tee shot for practice and be pissed when it goes 100' further than my first shot.

The hole is a bit to the right of the photo. The tree wouldn't really be an issue. Even if an anny carried "too far" there is plenty of room down the right.

FH or BH roller, could work, one might be better than the other, depending on where it wound up. I'd rather be a bit to the right, as the valley is not as low, giving a better approach/upshot. At the bottom of the valley, you can't see the basket, and would be throwing up yet another rise.

A RHFH roller, would tend to roll to the right, wouldn't it, if it hit and more of an angle?

If you want to get to the right, then a BH roller would get more distance and flip to the right. You could throw a FH cut roller, but its hard to get much distance without it flipping to the left. I'd probably just hyzer-flip my Sidewinder to keep it to the right side.