• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to fill out scorecard

Akaitatsu

I got out to a new course this weekend. I even got the wife to come out for her first disc golf experience! Now I have more questions. :\

This is the first time I have kept a detailed score and I am using the DGCR iOS app. Initially, I enter the number of non-putt throws under Score, and putts and penalties in their respective boxes. I expected the app to total them up but when I got to the end, it only showed what I entered for the Score. I went back and totaled up the scores in the Score and then submitted to my DGCR account. Did I do that right?

So, what defines a Putt anyway? While I was keeping my score, I counted it as anything I used a putter for. After the game, I looked up score keeping and saw a post somewhere that defined at as a throw within 30 feet of the basket. I'm sure my definition isn't right, but I didn't see anything that looked "official" anywhere.

In case you're interested, my wife had a pretty good time. She was embarrassed with her performance despite noticeable improvement over the duration of the course. She did say that she would play nine holes anytime I wanted though so I will count this as a positive. We have a big yard with some trees to aim at so we can get some practice in on a regular basis.

I use a card, a stubby pencil and can remember how to count to 6. Pretty much covers it.

Well, except for abbreviations for discs thrown on each hole, arrows for current wind direction, exclamation points,
question marks, double question marks, squiggly line sketch indicating actual disc flight path, little doodles of Wisconsin student mobs in fairways, birds, trees, hazards, wild flowers and invisible branches. Also, I have a secret code mark that indicates mulligan(s) not necessarily reflected on the card.

I use a card, a stubby pencil and can remember how to count to 6. Pretty much covers it.

Well, except for abbreviations for discs thrown on each hole, arrows for current wind direction, exclamation points, ...
:) :thmbup: :D

I'm a stats nerd (to some degree) so I expect I'll eventually get to your level of score keeping. In the meantime, I'll just continue using the DGCR app the way I did on that last round.

I write my scores down on a scorecard and manually enter them on my desktop at a later time. I don't want to fool around with my phone out on the course (so I fool around with a scorecard instead, lol). I used to keep my putting stats, but I also couldn't really define what a putt is, so I stopped entering that. Haven't missed it, it just wasn't important to me.

^ that. I am also a stats nut (did it for a living for awhile), but DG is different for me. I only track scores, everything else is usually counter productive to having fun.

We always joke about what a "putt" is. At a birdie bash, you've only got two throws per hole, so the second one is a putt, whether it's a tap in, or a 150 footer through the woods 'coz you caromed off that tee shot...right?

I've kept my per hole score since before I ever picked up a golf disc (started in the neighborhood with frisbees, stop signs & fire hydrants in 2011). Keeps it fun for me to enter & forget, so I just think about the moment. Then I enter the stats on the scorebook here on my PC afterwards. Never have kept stats for "putts", but I do annotate as well, so I can look back and see when it was that I hit the cage that one time... Stats and memories can be fun!

I got out to a new course this weekend. I even got the wife to come out for her first disc golf experience! Now I have more questions. :\

This is the first time I have kept a detailed score and I am using the DGCR iOS app. Initially, I enter the number of non-putt throws under Score, and putts and penalties in their respective boxes. I expected the app to total them up but when I got to the end, it only showed what I entered for the Score. I went back and totaled up the scores in the Score and then submitted to my DGCR account. Did I do that right?

So, what defines a Putt anyway? While I was keeping my score, I counted it as anything I used a putter for. After the game, I looked up score keeping and saw a post somewhere that defined at as a throw within 30 feet of the basket. I'm sure my definition isn't right, but I didn't see anything that looked "official" anywhere.

In case you're interested, my wife had a pretty good time. She was embarrassed with her performance despite noticeable improvement over the duration of the course. She did say that she would play nine holes anytime I wanted though so I will count this as a positive. We have a big yard with some trees to aim at so we can get some practice in on a regular basis.

Use a scorecard and pencil if you can for the experience of always starting on hole #1. FYI, When you play in your first sanctioned tournament you will appear to be a veteran if you are top of the card, start on hole #7 but start recording your scores (with a pencil with an eraser) under the hole #1 field. I have played >100 sanctioned tournaments in the SE, NE and Midwest and 10%-15% of the rounds, this has occurred.

Last edited:
Use a scorecard and pencil if you can for the experience of always starting on hole #1. FYI, When you play in your first sanctioned tournament you will appear to be a veteran if you are top of the card, start on hole #7 but start recording your scores (with a pencil with an eraser) under the hole #1 field. I have played >100 sanctioned tournaments in the SE, NE and Midwest and 10%-15% of the rounds, this has occurred.

At our first tournmentthat we held we had a card come in where they started on 1 and went down each spot with the score. That little spot between 9 and 10 to let you add up each half? They put their tenth hole score in it. They continued all the way to 17 and stopped there. Didn't add or anything. Now, this was an unsanctioned tournament, and we had a bunch of newbys there. From then on out we've had to add "How to properly use your scorecard" to the players meeting.

At our first tournmentthat we held we had a card come in where they started on 1 and went down each spot with the score. That little spot between 9 and 10 to let you add up each half? They put their tenth hole score in it. They continued all the way to 17 and stopped there. Didn't add or anything. Now, this was an unsanctioned tournament, and we had a bunch of newbys there. From then on out we've had to add "How to properly use your scorecard" to the players meeting.

Don't know why, since I cant remember to tell my mom she had a phone call 20min ago, but I can remember every shot of a two round tourney even several days/weeks afterward. Same with golf. I was a pretty serious junior/amateur golfer for several years and would go back and mentally play through my rounds every week.

After rereading the OP I see that you figured out that you're supposed to enter the total score in the score box. The other entries are just for those that want to keep the stats. I turn the putt & penalty boxes off so I don't even see them.

As for what is a putt - there is not solid definition. It's not just inside 10m circle. Many of the pro stats are now showing 1st circle and 2nd circle putting percentages. Basically I consider it any time I'm really going for the basket. Yes - I realize that we're hoping for it to go in on the first and second throws but we all know what I mean. And it can't be whenever you throw a putter cause many folks drive with a putter on shorter holes.

Don't know why, since I cant remember to tell my mom she had a phone call 20min ago, but I can remember every shot of a two round tourney even several days/weeks afterward. Same with golf. I was a pretty serious junior/amateur golfer for several years and would go back and mentally play through my rounds every week.
I have met my opposite! I'll be lying around reading and get a little hungry. So I get up, walk down the hall, enter the kitchen, and wonder what I was doing. The hall isn't very long either. :doh:

Latest posts