• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to find discs in the snow?

I have had two discs returned to me and have returned several discs to other people. I have also received phone calls from people who have my disc and i've told them to keep it. You don't have to spend a lot of time trying to track down the owner. Just call and tell them you found their disc and stash it somewhere so they can come back to the course and recover it. It is a real dick move to find a disc with a number on it and not at least call them. I usually give up after about 20 minutes of searching because my time is way too valuable to spend an hour or two looking for a $15 piece of plastic. Chances are if you call they will come and get their disc or tell you to keep it, so either you do a good deed and make someone happy, or you get to add a disc to your collection the right way.
Karma comes around. Keeping numbered discs might not be stealing, but it's definitely not the right thing to do.

Agreed...I understand katana's point of view, but still think it's a pretty sh***y/lame thing to do. I just hope karma returns the discs I've lost to their rightful owner or that whoever took the first one(pretty sure it was taken strait off the course before I got to it) gets some bad karma and loses theirs, or even better mine and someone else returns it.

I played once in a couple of feet of snow and a handful of times in an inch of snow.

It isn't anywhere near as fun as in the summer. In fact, it is so much less fun I suspect those who live where it snows feet would be better served by finding something just as fun as disc golf (but not disc golf) to do in the winter.

It isn't just a matter of finding your discs. You also have to stand in 2 feet of snow to throw them. Try doing a run up in 2 feet of snow. Even if you shovel off the tee pads, they're so slick you don't dare run. Plus, your hand is frickin' frozen solid from reaching into the snow to get the disc and then banging all the snow off of it (and the disc is still wet after that-by the third hole your towel is frozen solid). And you can't see any of the signs because they're buried. In fact, there might even be a few baskets buried if the snow gets deep enough. I was throwing at one where you couldn't see any of the pole under the basket. And the guy plowing the parking lot shoved a huge pile of snow into #14's basket that you can't even get a disc into it.

There are lots of places in this country where you can play DG year round. But there are a few where it really can't. You don't have to be very smart to figure it out. An inch? No biggie. Take a handwarmer, waterproof boots and a couple of towels. Two feet-go skiing.

Agreed...I understand katana's point of view, but still think it's a pretty sh***y/lame thing to do. I just hope karma returns the discs I've lost to their rightful owner or that whoever took the first one(pretty sure it was taken strait off the course before I got to it) gets some bad karma and loses theirs, or even better mine and someone else returns it.

i think it is just so crazy how people get so wrapped up in
losing a disc, it just looks like to me its not worth putting
anyone through the trouble of having them keep the disc
and meet up with me.

i dont want to do that for someone i dont know
and i dont think anyone else does either.

^ Really? Is that your opinion? Because, well, most of us here didn't know that.

I consider it common courtesy to return a disc just like you'd return a wallet. Though sadly we live in a world where returning lost things is a rare occasion. BTW Katana if you get an inked disc do you cross out the ink or leave it?...just curious in case you lose that disc you find and keep if it would actually get to the rightful owner(you know the one who actually payed money for it).

We've played 2 winters now and have yet to lose a disc in the snow. We don't attach ribbons either. We have found it quite amazing though how far they can slide from where they land. And we have spent some extended time looking too.

Some tips:

- Don't play alone. 2 sets of eyes make it easier to see where it lands.
- Don't expect the disc to be where it landed especially if it hits the snow hot at ashallow angle.
- Always make sure at least one of you golfing partners is actually watching you throw.
- The brighter the color the better.
- When you get close to where you think the disc landed approach very slowly so as not to disturb the snow. Then you become a forensic snow detective. There is always some tell tale signs.
- If it is truly lost then you you use your Coast Guard search & rescue training and set up a couple of search grids. Be methodical. Kick up the snow as you walk your search grids and you should stumble upon the lost disc. Well that's what I do anyway.

i never say if there stupid enough to throw this color disc
they should not get it back. all i say is people should find
there discs themselves instead of expecting people to
return them.

Pulling from a few days ago...so if you are playing with a group of people and they find your disc for you they get to keep it?......do you need a caddy anytime soon because i would like some free plastic!!!!

Blue chalk works as well as kool aid, buy the bottle that contractors use to refill a chalk line. The bottle is more convienent than kool aid packs.

Pulling from a few days ago...so if you are playing with a group of people and they find your disc for you they get to keep it?......do you need a caddy anytime soon because i would like some free plastic!!!!

i do not keep lost discs if they are currently looking for that disc.

so if i am looking for that disc it is still my disc.

now if someone leaves the course without a disc
it is not there disc anymore.

Last edited:
I have had two discs returned to me and have returned several discs to other people. I have also received phone calls from people who have my disc and i've told them to keep it. You don't have to spend a lot of time trying to track down the owner. Just call and tell them you found their disc and stash it somewhere so they can come back to the course and recover it. It is a real dick move to find a disc with a number on it and not at least call them. I usually give up after about 20 minutes of searching because my time is way too valuable to spend an hour or two looking for a $15 piece of plastic. Chances are if you call they will come and get their disc or tell you to keep it, so either you do a good deed and make someone happy, or you get to add a disc to your collection the right way.
Karma comes around. Keeping numbered discs might not be stealing, but it's definitely not the right thing to do.

you write your number on discs but you only look for 20 minutes
because your time is too valuable?

that just tells me you think your time is more valuable than the
person returning the disc.

it takes longer than 20 minutes to return a disc.

people like this person here is the exact reason i dont return discs.

I've been keeping my disks in the freezer.
Two reasons for this:
1.) Provided the temp is below freezing they'll stay dry from the start
2.) Themal expansion is hell on everything and I cant see disks being exempt.

One other thing I would add is if it's possible consider a night round. For one, with snow covered ground visbility is usually high (Low cloud cover in an urban area or moon light in the stix lights things up even more) For two, the becon light you've taped on your disk will light up the snow around it.

It doesn't take 20 minutes to return a disc. It takes like 1 minute. Just call them and tell them where you are leaving their disc. For example: "Hi i just found your disc. I'm going to leave it under the trash can on the 1st tee." Or behind the rock on the 1st fairway, or behind the bathrooms, or wherever is a good place to hide it. See? It's not that hard. If they want their disc they'll come get it before anyone stumbles upon it, or they might just tell you to keep it and have a nice day.

I played once in a couple of feet of snow and a handful of times in an inch of snow.

It isn't anywhere near as fun as in the summer. In fact, it is so much less fun I suspect those who live where it snows feet would be better served by finding something just as fun as disc golf (but not disc golf) to do in the winter.

It isn't just a matter of finding your discs. You also have to stand in 2 feet of snow to throw them. Try doing a run up in 2 feet of snow. Even if you shovel off the tee pads, they're so slick you don't dare run. Plus, your hand is frickin' frozen solid from reaching into the snow to get the disc and then banging all the snow off of it (and the disc is still wet after that-by the third hole your towel is frozen solid). And you can't see any of the signs because they're buried. In fact, there might even be a few baskets buried if the snow gets deep enough. I was throwing at one where you couldn't see any of the pole under the basket. And the guy plowing the parking lot shoved a huge pile of snow into #14's basket that you can't even get a disc into it.

There are lots of places in this country where you can play DG year round. But there are a few where it really can't. You don't have to be very smart to figure it out. An inch? No biggie. Take a handwarmer, waterproof boots and a couple of towels. Two feet-go skiing.

Want a little cheese with that whine????? ;):D

I both ski and play DG all winter long and wouldn't want it any other way.

Dress appropriately, learn to throw standing still, play somewhere you're familiar with, and use 5' of curly ribbon on every disc. When the snow gets really deep, add snowshoes to the mix for continuing fun!

Want a little cheese with that whine????? ;):D

I both ski and play DG all winter long and wouldn't want it any other way.

Dress appropriately, learn to throw standing still, play somewhere you're familiar with, and use 5' of curly ribbon on every disc. When the snow gets really deep, add snowshoes to the mix for continuing fun!

:clap: I couldn't agree more. As I see it if you live in the great white north you have 3 options if you like to be outdoors.

1. You have different activities for the different seasons.
2. You find a way to do what you like all year long.
3. Or during the winter you stay inside and bitch.

Winter disc golfing on a beautiful winter's day is just as much fun for me as it is in the best summer weather. As a matter of fact I'd rather play on a 30 degree day with a foot or two of snow on the ground and no wind than I would on a sweltering summer day where the temp and humidity are both over 90.

^^^
Really. To mark the disc in the snow we use carpenter line chalk, drop a little on your disc and throw normally. And we even do this at night, glow in the snow baby! As far as "2 feet of snow" goes, well dress right, boots, gaiters, layers, etc. If you say you love DG and look for excuses to not play, thank you, less traffic on the course is nice any season.

:clap: I couldn't agree more. As I see it if you live in the great white north you have 3 options if you like to be outdoors.

1. You have different activities for the different seasons.
2. You find a way to do what you like all year long.
3. Or during the winter you stay inside and bitch.

Winter disc golfing on a beautiful winter's day is just as much fun for me as it is in the best summer weather. As a matter of fact I'd rather play on a 30 degree day with a foot or two of snow on the ground and no wind than I would on a sweltering summer day where the temp and humidity are both over 90.

I'll take the number 3. Not really...I do wish I could find something non expensive during the winter. There is disc golf but trekking through the inches of snow is pretty exhausting. Only good thing is that hopefully enough people have stomped all the snow down. I think I'll stick with staying inside and gaming with my new xmas stuff :). Oh and of course there's always dollar night bowling :p, almost forgot about that, though I do still wish there was something fun to get me out in nature during the winter.

^^^
Really. To mark the disc in the snow we use carpenter line chalk, drop a little on your disc and throw normally. And we even do this at night, glow in the snow baby! As far as "2 feet of snow" goes, well dress right, boots, gaiters, layers, etc. If you say you love DG and look for excuses to not play, thank you, less traffic on the course is nice any season.

I've never tried the chaulk trick. Gotta go to Home Depot. I like that idea much better than the ribbon thing.

Latest posts