• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to gain putt distance

Right to left play is due to either off line arm motion, wrist play, or grip. I always had horrible wrist play with push putting, and a bad grip. Yet somehow straddle putting comes very naturally to me. Be sure to try out all styles, and copy whoever is best at each style.

Honestly, the best thing you can do is try as many things during your practice rounds, including arced shots, spin putting, straddle putting, and experimenting with everything.

Wysoki stated in his latest clinic that he starts off putting practice from 40ft to get the feel and form of longer putts immediately. In

The book Zen Golf the chapter on putting has something similar where you practice tap ins then immediately go to long putts to get the feel for the longer ones when warming up because just practicing mid range putts can affect your confidence (because your practicing the putting form and inherently know what a mid distance putt form feels like).

Interesting. I hate walking so far to the basket. But I like that idea to lob a few in from forty and work on eye focus.

It just takes time to add distance. The more you practice and implement your routine, you will be able to 'putt' the disc further the more your muscles and timing become finely tuned to it. It isn't really something you can fix because you dont want to make huge adjustments just to add 5-10 feet to your putt, which will just end up causing you to be more errant. I only change my technique once I get out to about 65'. Everything inside is putt with the some technique/mechanics.

i use a weird variant of putting, with the weight shift and the arm motion but I flick my fingers to generate spin on the disc and can put from 50-60' out. granted, I'm a rookie to all of this and can't hit maybe 5-6/10 from 30-35 but its been the best thing for me so far. also gaining distance in putting also comes from having a drive.. I play PIG or HORSE with other DG'ers (i pull out the portable at parties too) sometimes before rounds and this really has you go for longer putts and hard/tricky ones intentionally.

It's all about that little pop you get when you accelerate your arm for the last couple inches of release.

Learn how to putt with drivers... It can come in handy. You would be surprised at how effective some of them can be once you get a feel for it. My go to putter is a 170g SSS Wizard, but before I picked that gem up I was putting with a 169g VIP West Side Stag. I put it back in my bag occasionally. I nailed a nasty birdie putt in the wind last Monday with a 172 Star Orc. Its worth giving a shot, but it may not work with your personal style of putting. I kind of "spush" putt and it works great, especially with the Orc. Very consistent and predictable flight path, especially the final dive to the left. For longer putts drivers are easier to "pop up" for that extra distance as opposed to rounded putters. At least IME

I "push putt" (or shovel putt as Feldberg calls it) & I've based my putting technique on Feldbergs. I had the same problem you are having when I switched from "spin" to "push putting". My advice is just keep practicing. The more I practiced putting the easier it became to make longer putts. Though I remember specially focusing on my weight transfer. With push putting you really need to use your body to generate power, as opposed to spin putting which is more your wrist/arm. In Feldbergs 50 minute long putting video he goes over practicing holding the "finishing position" then bending down to pick up another disc. That part helped me out a lot. The more I practiced the more my balance improved. The more my balance improved the easier it became to put more force behind my putt with my weight tranfer. Also remember that at a certain distance (different for everyone) it becomes very difficult to get enough power behind a push putt to make it to the basket. So a lot of people tend to start to change their putting technique at long distances. Some people just flat out spin putt at long range & others do more of a hybrid spin/push putt. And if your outside the circle you can step or jump putt as well. I personally push putt to about 40 feet then I step putt. Just some things to consider.

(23:45 The balance & "finishing position" I referenced)

This is the video I watched about 3 weeks back, really has helped me. I'm now working on getting more distance & doing what he says outside the circle. That has been tough so far but will get better soon I'm sure. I've also found that the push putt doesn't work in wind..it pushes it down. I did a 7 foot put not too long ago & the wind just slammed it down. But other than that I'm happy with it.

Who is the best Pro putter out there right now? From what I've seen it's Paul Mcbeth.
Who else are excellent putters I can watch?

This is the video I watched about 3 weeks back, really has helped me. I'm now working on getting more distance & doing what he says outside the circle. That has been tough so far but will get better soon I'm sure. I've also found that the push putt doesn't work in wind..it pushes it down. I did a 7 foot put not too long ago & the wind just slammed it down. But other than that I'm happy with it.

Who is the best Pro putter out there right now? From what I've seen it's Paul Mcbeth.
Who else are excellent putters I can watch?

Ricky Wysocki is def the second best putter in the world. And he's essentially a push putter, he just puts some more heat on it then the traditional push style.

Wysoki stated in his latest clinic that he starts off putting practice from 40ft to get the feel and form of longer putts immediately. In

The book Zen Golf the chapter on putting has something similar where you practice tap ins then immediately go to long putts to get the feel for the longer ones when warming up because just practicing mid range putts can affect your confidence (because your practicing the putting form and inherently know what a mid distance putt form feels like).

I really strongly disagree with this idea. I mean if it works for Rick I'm not going to argue with that. But 99% of the ams I see on the course spend WAY to much warm up and practice time in the 40 foot range and far to little from 20-28 feet. I've been at NT's and the advanced guys I was warming up with were all practicing from 10-15 feet farther out then top 10 players.

I really strongly disagree with this idea. I mean if it works for Rick I'm not going to argue with that. But 99% of the ams I see on the course spend WAY to much warm up and practice time in the 40 foot range and far to little from 20-28 feet. I've been at NT's and the advanced guys I was warming up with were all practicing from 10-15 feet farther out then top 10 players.

Practicing for improvement and tournament warm up are two completely different animals though. When working to improve, you need to hammer away at what you are not doing well, to find errors and correct them. Tournament warm up is more about gaining confidence for the round- which would come through sinking putts consistently.

As a relative Noobie I read through this thread again and took something someone wrote and took it to the yard to apply. Took my regular stance and routine. All I concentrated on at 15 feet was my usual left side chain. Percentage sunk was what I expect... 95%+...at my present skill level. Moved to 20 feet and moved the aim up...more LOFT...not more power. Better than expected success rate. Moved to 25 feet. Lofted more. Much better than I have been doing! Moved to 30 feet. Still more loft with an aim point at the top left side of the basket. Quit because I could not believe how much improvement I experienced.
My note to my mind now reads, "Putting...Same power more loft with distance."

Thanks, guys for great advice!

Latest posts