• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to get over the fear of playing in tournaments

The biggest thing is to manage your expectations. You are going to have bad shots and good shots.
Once the disc leaves your hand the only thing you can control is your reaction and emotions. Put all your energy into the NEXT shot. Short memory is wonderful attribute!

I'm planning on playing in a draw doubles game, which isn't a proper PDGA tourney but will still be the first competitive event for me. I'm looking at it as a cheap disc golf lesson rather than a contest. It's at my home course so it'll be cool seeing how more experienced players attack some of the more :wall: holes.

Just played my first two tourneys this year. Be relaxed, practice putting a lot before and do the best you can, nothing else is in your control.

Good luck and have fun!

my first tourny was a doubles. great way to be broken in, esp if your partner has prior experience, as was for me.

Any ideas for a newbie on how to go about getting into a local tournament or mini. I really love to play and actually am pretty descent I'd like to think. I just don't like knowing all aspects of the game.any suggestions.

if you aren';t great and playing in REc or novice I am sure people will help you and it's pretty easy. Just don't ask questions while people are driving.

Listen to your favorite music while playing on your own time.

Do the same when you are in tournaments. Barry Schultz does that. Not sure if it's music or just talk radio,but anyways, it does keep your mind a little clearer because you have your favorite music playing.

I keep 1 earbud in,just so I can hear what's going on.

play more tournys until they feel casual and realize youre going to have good shots and bad shots every single round. stressing over the way i played in or out of tournys only held me back from my true potential.

Listen to your favorite music while playing on your own time.

Do the same when you are in tournaments. Barry Schultz does that. Not sure if it's music or just talk radio,but anyways, it does keep your mind a little clearer because you have your favorite music playing.

I keep 1 earbud in,just so I can hear what's going on.

I listen to music on my iPhone without headphones in normally. When I played my first tournament two weeks ago I just asked the guys on my card if it would bother them if I turned it on while we were playing. Both rounds (four different players) said it was no problem....provided I didn't play country. That sucked for me, but my fall-back of 90's alternative was a hit with all concerned.

Can't go wrong with Nirvana, AiC, NIN, Pearl Jam, STP, and any band for which Maynard James Keenan or Chris Cornell are currently singin'.

I had a friend who is now a sponsored player tell me before my last tournament that the person who has the most fun wins the tournament. This is such a great attitude to have that he always has and really plays better because of it. He played top card that event and beat out one of the most recognizable pros.

I'll reiterate. Have fun. That's why we play right? As an am I actually prefer trophy only with a nice players pack. That way I've already won before we've even begun.

I listen to music on my iPhone without headphones in normally. When I played my first tournament two weeks ago I just asked the guys on my card if it would bother them if I turned it on while we were playing. Both rounds (four different players) said it was no problem....provided I didn't play country. That sucked for me, but my fall-back of 90's alternative was a hit with all concerned.

Can't go wrong with Nirvana, AiC, NIN, Pearl Jam, STP, and any band for which Maynard James Keenan or Chris Cornell are currently singin'.

I wouldn't want to start a tournament round this way. What if only one of the group had said that it would bother him?? You kind of put every member of your group on the spot and made somebody the "bad guy" if he says that he'd rather not listen to your music. I suggest using headphones (or one earbud) and avoiding the situation altogether.

I'm a big Classic Rock fan.

Electric Light Orchestra,REO Speedwagon,Foreigner,AC/DC,Eric Clapton,Beatles,Joe Walsh,Scorpions,Boston,Eagles,Kiss,Kansas,Rolling Stones and many many others.

This stuff just puts me in a good mood and it just makes me a better all around player too. :thmbup:

I wouldn't want to start a tournament round this way. What if only one of the group had said that it would bother him?? You kind of put every member of your group on the spot and made somebody the "bad guy" if he says that he'd rather not listen to your music. I suggest using headphones (or one earbud) and avoiding the situation altogether.

This.

If I want to listen to music while I play, I have my own mp3 player and, since I don't want to inflict my musical tastes on other folks, my own earbuds too.

Also good to remember is that every tournament, hell every round is about learning. My last tourney was cold, rainy and crazy windy. I brought a large chamois which was the bomb, all other players had soaked towels mine was still gett da water, but is realized after 4 hours in the rain I need another one as it started getting dirty. I scored a victory on that lesson, I will be better prepared next time.

I've played while listening to music and without, there is no clear cut preference for me, as long as the thoughts are fewer.

I wasn't trying to be an douche; I asked both individually before I turned it on. It would be kind of a prick move to put the group on the spot.

However, if I'm expecting a player to be honest about their lie, their marker, and their score, I think it's a reasonable expectation that they'll be honest with me about playing music, regardless of what the rest of the card thinks.

Faulty logic?

play more tournys until they feel casual and realize youre going to have good shots and bad shots every single round. stressing over the way i played in or out of tournys only held me back from my true potential.

This. Some tournies you'll do great, sometimes you'll bomb one and won't even compete. And that's ok. Keep a positive attitude and try to learn from it. The worst thing that happens when you lose a tourney is you're out a days worth of wages or less. It's no big deal. Just relax, have fun, meet some new golfers and play your game. Don't go for crazy shots or lines you see other people throwing that you probably can't hit. It's you against the course, not you against the other players.

--- Whoops....accidentally posted to the wrong thread. ---

No comment....yet.

Last edited:
However, if I'm expecting a player to be honest about their lie, their marker, and their score, I think it's a reasonable expectation that they'll be honest with me about playing music, regardless of what the rest of the card thinks.

Faulty logic?

A little faulty because (hopefully) everyone entering the tournament should understand the rules regarding their lie, their marker and their score. None of that involves personal preference.

When you ask others on the card if they mind you playing your music, you're indicating the you want to listen the music during the round. If they don't and say so, I think that you've created a bit of tension right off the bat. I would honestly tell you that I don't want to listen to music during the round, but I'd probably be a little annoyed/distracted to have had to deal with it. And maybe you'd be a little annoyed to not get to play your music, or you wouldn't have asked, right?

Why not get used to listening to your music with headphones/earbuds on, and then you can do what you want during the tournament without having to even question your group. Or play a few rounds without music. Perhaps you'll find that you play the same with or without.

Latest posts