• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

how to get work days participants

Hopefully workdays are not full out course construction events. The days are gone where you have to pimp out your friends to get a course installed. Parks recognize the value of a disc golf course in there park and are willing to pay for hardware, for initital clearing, and for maintenance.

What planet did you come from?? Charlotte DGC built and open 5 new courses in 2011-2012, "Parks" let us build them on their property, but volunteers built them, the club paid for the baskets and concrete tees, and maintain the wooded parts (almost all of the courses); "Parks" might mow in some open areas. Work days usually are for building/redesign--spreading a little mulch and picking up a few twigs or trash can be done by a few and are not our workdays.

Whatever planet it is, I sure hope that Parks Dept. Enlightenment spreads to this area. Fast.

maybe the old bait and switch
come on out for doubles, then when everyone shows up, you say todays' round is going to be a little different
then you hand out the clippers and shovels

I may have to steal this idea. It would be good to see who is only down to play, and who honestly just never has time to help at the work parties.

It's tough, we had a whopping 3 people including myself show up yesterday.
we are getting ready to frame teepads so we pour concrete in 2 weeks.
I hope more people show up on wheelbarrow day.

The courses in my area have been established years and years ago, so there are no "major" work days required. Mainly, just trash and brush/branch removal. I'm trying to organize a two part doubles tourney. Everyone who enters the tourney gets a trash bag. Whoever comes back with the most trash picked off the course wins something. Maybe do it like an Ace pot, just call it the trash pot. The city does a really horrible job of taking care of the course. With the exception of a huge tree that fell across the 18th fairway interfering with the 1st basket. They did come out and cut it up and chipped quite a bit so we could spread around the course where we saw fit.

What planet did you come from?? Charlotte DGC built and open 5 new courses in 2011-2012, "Parks" let us build them on their property, but volunteers built them, the club paid for the baskets and concrete tees, and maintain the wooded parts (almost all of the courses); "Parks" might mow in some open areas. Work days usually are for building/redesign--spreading a little mulch and picking up a few twigs or trash can be done by a few and are not our workdays.

What planet? No I ain't from around there.

Of six courses designed only one required a cost share (1/2 basket cost only) and I was not lead negotiation on that one. Cost me one basket, club one basket, other designer one basket, rest from disc golfers and businesses. Collected for 9 of total 84 baskets for all installs. Nothing is free. Must admit it dis take longer. Didn't install five in one year as you stated

For real, in these parts, parks recognize disc golf as a benefit to the parks and feel funds spent are well spent. I guess if we offered to pay for everything they would have also jump on it. Mad negotiation skillz I guess :)

Hopefully you at least did not give baskets to the parks instead long term leasing / loaning the baskets to the parks. Otherwise could possibly loose them to the park in any nasty park divorce, dog park install, changing of park officers,... just a suggestion.

Drive long.

We are still working with mostly the same core of helpers... today there were 6 of us. One of the local "pros" stopped by to see how we were doing. He offered to come out and give us some pointers as to which branches to cut down on our next work day. He then walked away... he obviously didn't want any part of using those post hole diggers. At least he offered to help with something I guess.

Regardless, we got 5 of 18 pins concreted today. With some pointers from the Cincy group, we got the pins concreted in with water meter boxes. These are going to help the course look super classy.... and will hopefully keep those city mowers from plowing over our alternate placements :)

1455146_10202101428272512_207597103_n.jpg

Not sure... I think the boxes were like $12 a piece... not sure if Lowes donated those or not... and then about 70 pounds of concrete per placement. Totally worth it to protect the locations though... plus they just look nice.

I suggest be thankful for the 6-8

Players are just that, players

Take it slow and do a good job. When the players complain it's taking too long just laugh and invite them to help work

U are better off with a small organized crew than 25 people who feel entitled to do as they please when clearing

2nd this. Too many cooks can spoil the soup.

BUT, offering free food does seem to help here in NY.
Maybe a post workday cash round with a few divisions? Pro/Adv/Rec/Women?

The scouts have been awesome in helping us out. They actually helped us clear 2 really tough holes... and they will be building our kiosk. Im really impressed with their work and effort.

^^^ Good idea.

You also might try getting Sea Cadets (junior high kids) or JROTC (high school) kids involved. These programs are always looking for volunteer opportunities. Not only that, but putting it out to those kids might even generate some more interest in the game. Win-win!

Water meter boxes

Zach , that looks likes great idea ! So , the pin locations are under the cover ? That looks pro !
Wish I had a course to maintain , can't even build one here in " The Outdoor Recreation Capital of the World " !

Yes... The pin location is under the cover.... This will cover the alternate pins and will be flush with the ground.... that way the mowers don't smash over the pins when they aren't being used.

doesn't matter which day of the week

I all ways hear that if it was on a different day more people would show up.
So we had a work party on a Wed. so all the people that work weekends could come out to help.
Ok, it was really because the Conservation Corp. was helping us with some clean up.
But no matter the reason, there was still only a few of us working, and the same old faces playing through.
(Of course I asked them all, if they needed gloves or brought their own? )
We got lots done for the day, I hope they enjoy it.

Attachments

• 20140122_092928.jpg
    20140122_092928.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 20140122_141328.jpg
    20140122_141328.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 20140122_162211.jpg
    20140122_162211.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 25

Latest posts