• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to grip a mid

ripit209

So I only have 8 holes of experience under my belt and am planning on hitting up my local course tomorrow with my newly purchased Roc. When I played the 8 holes previously I was instructed to use the power grip, I was throwing a Beast. Is this the same grip I should use when throwing the Roc? Should my approach be like a driver too with the x-step and all as well?

I use the same grip on mids as I do on drivers. I know many people who do this. Some people use a fan grip on their approach shots. Depending on how much power is needed decides whether you need to use an X-step or not. As far as the grip goes, just figure out what works best for you (check out other variations here: http://www.innovadiscs.com/home/daves-tips/daves-grip-tips.html ) , and try to make the disc pivot off of your pointer finger, squeezing the disc between your thumb and pointer the most.

Last edited:
powergrip will not work with a roc. i use a "modified grip". grab the disc with what feels comfortable. then grip with the powergrip. find a comfortable balance between them. mine consists of index and pinky curled on the rim,like a powergrip, and middle and ring somewhat flat on the plate. everyones different, but thats what works for me, and works well. bottom line is you need to throw more, youre like a newborn friggin baby right now:)

Sounds good, I'll get out there and throw throw throw!:p

and don't listen to people who say you should throw this and that and this way and that way, come to this forum instead for help. That roc should be super awesome and you'll learn a lot from that disc. In my humble opinion, don't try any high speed driver for quite some time, use the fairway drivers that are listed on innova's website. Personally only throw a katana otherwise I too use all fairway drivers/mids/putters.

powergrip will not work with a roc. i use a "modified grip". grab the disc with what feels comfortable. then grip with the powergrip. find a comfortable balance between them. mine consists of index and pinky curled on the rim,like a powergrip, and middle and ring somewhat flat on the plate. everyones different, but thats what works for me, and works well. bottom line is you need to throw more, youre like a newborn friggin baby right now:)

^^^^this. i personally find it helps with control on the wider diameter mids with this grip.

When I started I also had a Roc, and it felt really uncomfortable to power grip. Then I found out about the "Climo grip" or "fork grip":

To me that grip immediately felt right with the Roc, and I still throw every disc with it. Some people have commented on my throws that I really get a good spin on the disc, and I attribute at least some of it to that grip. And the great thing is that I can comfortably grip all discs from putters to wide rim drivers with the same grip.

But the most important thing is to find a grip that feels comfortable and strong for you.

As to your run up or x-step with an approach shot I would suggest working on throws without an x-step. If you learn to shift your weight forward on those shots you should be able to have very good control and still get decent distance. It will also help you when you have lies that leave you with poor footing or no room for a run up.

Use whatever grip feels good to you. I power grip my mids, and it works fine. If the fork grip feels comfortable then go with that.

once you learn to grip and throw mids, the game becomes far more enjoyable. you'll find yourself on the fairway time and time again, getting progressively closer to the basket each day

First read this:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/gripittoripit.shtml

As long as you can get all of the important things from that article incorporated into your grip you'll be fine. What most people who have a solid understanding of grip find is that their grips with mids and fairway drivers are really similar. For putters their grip looks and feels a bit different, but it still accomplishes everything from that article (your lock point will feel different because of the deep but narrow rim). I'd highly recommend getting a power grip to work with your Roc. FWIW, when my grip was bad the Roc felt bad in my hand. After I fixed my grip it felt great.

I thought the same thing.

I use a power grip on all my discs, drivers, mids, putters. If I take some power off of shots for more control, I use the fan grip that feldberg showed in his video. Doesn't matter if it's a wide rimmed nuke, or a wizard, you can power grip anything.

I thought the same thing.

I use a power grip on all my discs, drivers, mids, putters. If I take some power off of shots for more control, I use the fan grip that feldberg showed in his video. Doesn't matter if it's a wide rimmed nuke, or a wizard, you can power grip anything.

People just apply grip pressure to the wrong parts of the disc when they power grip mids/putters and get funky wobble from the disc catching the tips of their middle and ring fingers when they are locked on the rim. That's why you get people claiming you HAVE to fan grip a Roc.

Barry Schultz' main pointer in his clinic was to do what is comfortable for YOU. It's good to try new grips, but don't do something that feels weird just because someone told you too. Like others have said, it is good to try and improve your form, but you need to learn your own style by simply going out to the course and throwing a lot of shots. Once you start getting control and distance, then you can tweak certain aspects to get the most out of your game. But it's YOUR game, not anyone else's

once you learn to grip and throw mids, the game becomes far more enjoyable. you'll find yourself on the fairway time and time again, getting progressively closer to the basket each day

This. I have always been above average as far as distance is concerned, but as I have become a better player, I find myself throwing my Rocs and wizards more and more, and getting more satisfactory throws as a result.

Hell, I witnessed Will Schusterick park a 560' hole with his Roc. And when I say park, I mean he picked up his Roc and dropped it in the basket, no putter needed

Latest posts