• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to grip a mid

You don't have to listen to what everyone says, play whats comfortable to you and what works for you. I use the power grip on everything that I can make putt at. On less powered putter and mids I might sometimes use just 3 fingers and inside the rim and leave out the pinky. I am more accurate doing this than using any fan or modified grip i've tried.

So I only have 8 holes of experience under my belt and am planning on hitting up my local course tomorrow with my newly purchased Roc. When I played the 8 holes previously I was instructed to use the power grip, I was throwing a Beast. Is this the same grip I should use when throwing the Roc? Should my approach be like a driver too with the x-step and all as well?

mids and putters ahve a near endless amount of grip possibilites. i use alot of ultimate grips on my mids as well as power and accuracy ones. go out to an open field and play around with different grips. this is also a good article to give you some general ideas. best full explination of the grip i have found to date.

Does anyone switch between a power grip and fan grip for different shots? I have been using the fan grip more, but have noticed that on certain shots the disc tends to slip out of my hand, such as sharp hyzers where I'm generally throwing harder. The power grip works a lot better for me on shots like this, but the fan grip seems to work better overall - should I just learn to use one or the other?

Does anyone switch between a power grip and fan grip for different shots? I have been using the fan grip more, but have noticed that on certain shots the disc tends to slip out of my hand, such as sharp hyzers where I'm generally throwing harder. The power grip works a lot better for me on shots like this, but the fan grip seems to work better overall - should I just learn to use one or the other?

I use several grips, depending on the shot. Fan grip is great for finese shots and spin control. Power grip has advantages too, like for big drives and maximizing spin. If you like both, keep with them. Learning where to use each will add dimension to your overall game.

I use several grips, depending on the shot. Fan grip is great for finese shots and spin control. Power grip has advantages too, like for big drives and maximizing spin. If you like both, keep with them. Learning where to use each will add dimension to your overall game.

This

I find that adjusting grip to some sort of fan/control/putting grip is a great way to power down for approach shots <200' (i.e. well below what you can do with a putter). Really that's just a fancy way of saying that I throw my putter like I would a catch disc or the way I did when I played Ultimate once I get close enough to do so.

Power grip is not the "correct" grip for mids...many top professionals will tell you that. You sacrifice a lot of control by using a power grip. There is also a good chance that you're actually loosing distance by using it instead of a modified, fork, fan, etc.

Fork grip works for me. If you want more control, do NOT throw mids/putters with a power grip. It may be worse when you first start, but it get a lot better over time.

Power grip is not the "correct" grip for mids...many top professionals will tell you that. You sacrifice a lot of control by using a power grip. There is also a good chance that you're actually loosing distance by using it instead of a modified, fork, fan, etc.

Fork grip works for me. If you want more control, do NOT throw mids/putters with a power grip. It may be worse when you first start, but it get a lot better over time.

are you talking approaches or drives? because you do sacrifice SOME accuracy on approaches, but on drives the power grip is fine

can you tell me some top pros that say the power grip isn't "correct"?

are you talking approaches or drives? because you do sacrifice SOME accuracy on approaches, but on drives the power grip is fine

can you tell me some top pros that say the power grip isn't "correct"?

Climo and Feldberg explicitly state that when giving clinics.

I'm talking about both drives and approaches.

I'm talking about both drives and approaches.

My edit timer expired. I figured I would elaborate instead of just giving a short reply. See below:

I'm talking about both drives and approaches. Many people feel like they need a more stable mid when driving or that they need to back off so that they don't flip them. Either way your mids will stall out earlier in flight. Switching grips makes a world of difference, and I can throw significantly farther on straighter lines because of it. Going from the power grip to a fork grip added at least 50 feet to the distance that I can throw a controlled shot with my Buzzz on because I now have a lot less to worry about in terms of the disc turning too hard, not enough, etc. You're removing variables making it more consistent.

Sure, you can practice with the power grip a lot and it will work once you have enough experience with it. Thats why I put quotes around the word correct. It is certainly possible to be good and execute midrange shots perfectly using the power grip...you're more likely to find success sooner by using a different grip though.