• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to improve 1st round of play

xyman621

Par Member
I was looking over my PDGA record for the last couple years and I've noticed a trend. My 2nd rounds are typically much higher rated vs. 1st rounds. I pretty much only play 1 day, 2 round events. So that 1st round is crucial. Some of these tournaments are on different courses so that could play into it for some. But I can still feel a lul in performance most 1st rounds. I don't think it's as much physical as it might be mental. Maybe I'm not fully awake.

My tournament routine: The previous night, I'll think through teeshots and envision how to birdie each hole. Day of, I'll get to tourneys early and try to get loose as possible before the 1st round. Normal pre-round stretch, putt some, drop turd, and play several holes.

But I still don't I don't feel mentally prepared to compete, more of a lack of focus. Jitters on a putt, poor upshots, missing those "free-birdie" holes. As the 1st round comes to a close and for the 2nd round I can feel more competitive and I'm focusing on my shots more.

How do you get that from round 1 hole 1. How do you get mentally prepared to come out the gates hot? To be a killer from the start.

Last edited:
I have noticed that sometimes it takes me a little bit to get going too.

One thing i have thought about: I practice and play fun rounds after work. On weekends I like to sleep in, get some stuff done around the house, and then go play a round or two. The only morning rounds i play are tournament rounds... I wonder how much it would help to try and get some morning practice rounds in so it isn't so foreign.

So far, in three tournaments, my first rounds have averaged 20 points higher than my overall rating.

I think I'm less worried about my round than most people I play with. I almost never practice throws before the round. I know what tee shot I will throw on every hole, I throw some putters or play catch at short distances, and I practice inside-circle putting. Works for me. I do play serious, however. I take my time choosing shots and remembering the things I need to remember to execute. It helps that I don't have particularly high expectations...

Then it seems I "live down" to those same expectations for the rest of my rounds.

Last edited:
I don't have that much experience with high pressure rounds, but...Do you get stressed before throwing, like does your night before routine of thinking through how to birdie each hole, as well as considering some holes "free birdie" holes give you added pressure before you even step into the box? Then maybe in the second round you just "are where you are" regarding score placement so you just feel through it a bit more and rely on your strengths?

I prepare with.. Lots!! of putts practising up to the event... sometimes a day off before but solid putting practice for the week before and short approaches... I slug a ton of water down and make sure I eat snacks or breakfast.

Morning of I like to throw a few in my yard and get the motion or get there a half hour early and get some 150' shots in to test the waters get a feel for which putter to start with and which mid is holding straightest.. See if I'm throwing full power or if it's time to think about discing down a bit..

When it's time to gear up I practice stupid short putts nothing but confidence.. get into my putting routine.

I like to throw a couple holes. If I start on hole 5, I usually play 2-3-4 and if time then throw a few on 5 before putting.

I was looking over my PDGA record for the last couple years and I've noticed a trend. My 2nd rounds are typically much higher rated vs. 1st rounds. I pretty much only play 1 day, 2 round events. So that 1st round is crucial. Some of these tournaments are on different courses so that could play into it for some. But I can still feel a lul in performance most 1st rounds. I don't think it's as much physical as it might be mental. Maybe I'm not fully awake.

My tournament routine: The previous night, I'll think through teeshots and envision how to birdie each hole. Day of, I'll get to tourneys early and try to get loose as possible before the 1st round. Normal pre-round stretch, putt some, drop turd, and play several holes.

But I still don't I don't feel mentally prepared to compete, more of a lack of focus. Jitters on a putt, poor upshots, missing those "free-birdie" holes. As the 1st round comes to a close and for the 2nd round I can feel more competitive and I'm focusing on my shots more.

How do you get that from round 1 hole 1. How do you get mentally prepared to come out the gates hot? To be a killer from the start.

Get to the course early and play a hole often a shorter as if you are playing the course tournament style, often with a PDGA tournament they have a tournament book for any odd mandos and the like that now have to be marked obvious some way.

This will be the first year I'm going to be getting my PDGA number/membership so this thread is very insightful. I'm also getting my first practice basket after tax returns. Surprisingly, putting is where I'm most confident about my game. I've practiced putt placement and form in my backyard using my kid's swing set and picking points on it where I "imagine" the basket to be.

I've been playing doubles and my real struggle is the drive off the tee. Same as the OP, for the majority of the first holes I'm absolute junk but mostly with my drives and upshots. Power is not there, control is non-existent, shanks are numerous. I think the biggest thing for me will be to get my practice basket and get out there an hour or so before the round and loosen up my arm. I'm 31 so my arms get stiff if I don't do something before cranking on a disc anyway.

Another thing I think I need to do is to slow my role when I start my rounds. I tend to be insanely competitive so when the pressure is on I go beast mode and not in a McBeth way, more like the "shoot for the stars". It's almost like I just get excited and jittery and quick to throw instead of in a casual round when I am pretty chill and can lace my lines where I want them more often than not.

I'm just spouting off useless things but figured I would let the OP know that we jittery 1st rounders are out there too. Best of luck overcoming yours!

Last edited:
I don't have that much experience with high pressure rounds, but...Do you get stressed before throwing, like does your night before routine of thinking through how to birdie each hole, as well as considering some holes "free birdie" holes give you added pressure before you even step into the box? Then maybe in the second round you just "are where you are" regarding score placement so you just feel through it a bit more and rely on your strengths?

This is a great thought and I'd have to say I'd say I am adding pressure before the hole starts. "I HAVE to get this hole, I missed #4" is a common thought. The night before is helpful to envision, then execute, plus helps me know what disc I want to throw, but could see it adding onto that.

That first round I do feel a sense of pressure, and every bad shot compounds that. I'd say I definitely feel more relaxed, less anxiety, and less stressed in the second round, especially if I'm middle of the pack. "I am where I am, might as well have fun with it."

It's almost like I just get excited and jittery and quick to throw instead of in a casual round when I am pretty chill and can lace my lines where I want them more often than not.

This is it too. I need to work on staying relaxed and focused on the moment. I try to follow the same routine in casuals and tournaments, but I find my mind wandering off in tournament play.

Next tournament I'm going to try and think less about performance/results. Treat it more like a casual round, fun and relaxed.

I'm usually the opposite, where my morning rounds are better, but the last tourney I played in, I shot a pair of identical scores (my second round had 3 straight 6s and I blew a giant [8] lead on holes I had parred the round before).

Best advice I can give is to make sure you eat before the round and have water on the course with you. I find myself reaching for my water to cool my nerves and as a result am more focused.

This is a great thought and I'd have to say I'd say I am adding pressure before the hole starts. "I HAVE to get this hole, I missed #4" is a common thought. The night before is helpful to envision, then execute, plus helps me know what disc I want to throw, but could see it adding onto that.

That first round I do feel a sense of pressure, and every bad shot compounds that. I'd say I definitely feel more relaxed, less anxiety, and less stressed in the second round, especially if I'm middle of the pack. "I am where I am, might as well have fun with it."

Yeah I'd play around with being aware of this. Also be open to changing disc selection on the teepad if there is an unexpected wind, or the ground is more or less grabby than anticipated, etc.

Try not to count your score as you're playing, and more importantly don't count your score on a hole before the hole is complete. This includes on the tee pad thinking about how it's a simple hole and you need to birdie it, or even after a good drive within 25' and already counting it as a birdie.

I find I play well when I don't take anything for granted. And if I have a bad break like a spit out or a bad roll, or a bad drive on a very easy hole, I try to think that it will even out over the round. Like I might hit a 60' putt, or shank a drive off line that still sneaks through all the trees, and this will make up for the bad break by getting a shot that I wasn't counting on working. It's easy to forget the lucky shots and remember the ones you thought you deserved to have work.

Last edited:
Get to the course early and play a hole often a shorter as if you are playing the course tournament style, often with a PDGA tournament they have a tournament book for any odd mandos and the like that now have to be marked obvious some way.

Makes sense to me.

When I have played tourneys, I usually see Pros and better players actually playing a few holes before the round starts.

Another tip is an old one: Play like you practice and practice like you play.
That is, possibly make your practice rounds look and feel more like your competitive rounds and vice versa...

I'm usually the opposite, where my morning rounds are better, but the last tourney I played in, I shot a pair of identical scores (my second round had 3 straight 6s and I blew a giant [8] lead on holes I had parred the round before).

Best advice I can give is to make sure you eat before the round and have water on the course with you. I find myself reaching for my water to cool my nerves and as a result am more focused.

I am same way, it is more the mental game that gets me in the second half.

For me personally, I used to crash in the 2nd round. My problem was that I would overeat at lunch and then have a sluggish feeling in the afternoon. So I now just eat a minimal amount between rounds to get me by and eliminate the mental distraction of feeling hungry. Same thing goes before the first round. I try not to eat too much, anything too heavy, or anything that might require an urgent bathroom visit.

I'm also one of those people that prefers to get there early enough to play through the majority of the course before the player meeting, especially if it's a course I'm not as familiar with. I throw 1 or 2 drives on each hole and try to figure out what disc to throw, where to land for an approach, etc. I don't usually play them out, but just look for preferred lines and landing zones. From there it's just on to the next hole. And if there's time before the 2-minute warning, I like to throw a good tee shot on my starting hole just to have a sense of confidence before it counts. For me, that's more beneficial than practice putting right up until the horn. I'd rather put myself in a position with my drive and approach where I don't have to make a spectacular putt in order to score well on a hole.

I'd rather put myself in a position with my drive and approach where I don't have to make a spectacular putt in order to score well on a hole.

Yes... mentally it helps to shake the rust off and be prepared to just try and get close enough to avoid comeback putts. Don't run a birdie at 100' slide it in for an easy par... heck it might hit anyhow.. Come out of the gate fired up but conservative.

I also recommend throwing your Comet etc a half dozen times at least to tune in. That's my windsock for throwing ability the day of.. Not getting it up to speed Tursas time.. Too much go juice, Tangent time!

There's also the need to not melt down or feel like you need to make up a stroke, if possible I don't want to keep score on my own card, I try and not add it up until the end. Things I chant in my head:

"Par's good enough"
"Lots of golf left"
"Play the fairway not the basket"
"It's not a crappy drive, it's a chance for a great birdie/par"

There's also holes where they are not friendly to my throw other guys will get birds but I'm happy with par.. There's a few that get me for double bogeys too often and I'm happy with a single bogey.. I'll make it up somewhere.. There's been a few tournament's where I shot alright, nothing great but consistently alright and I end up on top.

Last edited: