• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to introduce my coworkers to disc golf?

SmileyBoy

Par Member
Hello,

Next week Wednesday, we're gonna have an event sponsored by our company I work for and one of the activities will be disc golf. I recommended this as I love disc golf and I would like everyone to give it a try.

I'm going to be talking in front of 40+ people to about disc golf. Basically introducing them to it. Not sure how much time I have to do it but maybe 1-2 hours is given to me. Company will rent discs for enough people.

Question is, how should I go about this? I'm planning to introduce them to the topics like:
  • What's disc golf?
  • How to throw the disc? 2 options, backhand, forehand and show them the form.
  • Overstable, understable and stable meanings
  • How to choose the disc?
  • What pitfalls to avoid when getting into disc golf?
  • How to give the disc hyzer, anhyzer or flat angle?
  • Grip (everybody will have different hand size, for example my grip would not be comfortable or good enough for others)
  • Suggestions like standstill throws, weight shift, no hugging, etc
  • How to putt? (Different styles of putts)

My form ain't perfect so I'm not sure if I'm qualified to talk about form :(
I can only throw 383 ft with a little bit of hyzer angle that goes straight and fades a bit at the end with innova ricky wysocki destroyer. I bought star thunderbirds so replacing it with destroyer to disc down to match my arm speed.

I feel nervous about this. It's my first time where I'm gonna have full attention from 40+ people. It's like a clinic made by me and who knows, maybe I'll get some players into disc golf as we are practicing throwing at the field with one basket at the end :). I hope I will get some actually. It's really fun and addictive.

Please advise, thank you.

I don't know that I would focus so much on form. It can make it too complicated. I would focus on fun.

I've done a few youth clinics. I've set up a putting area with 3 foot putting marks and a measured out field area. Talked and demonstrated both (including etiquette and safety rules), separated the group in half, and let them try both areas for 15 minutes. Then I let them play a small course I set up prior.

If that piques their interest, then you can start talking about weight shift and rounding.

Where is your company renting discs? I would stick to putters and miss for first-timers.

Last edited:
Honestly, that seems like a lot for a first timer.

Basic rules.
Etiquette and safety.
Basic shots and basic form.
Then let them putt and throw upshots or play whatever course you can set up.

….and after that, tell them were they can play and where to buy discs and so forth.

I would teach more than just FH/BH - and even let each person try each shot type, they don't have to go far or be very successful, everybody try a thumber, everybody try a tomahawk, everybody try a backhand roller, try left handed, try right handed, etc. I've done this before in the past, and it might seem overwhelming at first, but it seems to be helpful, and eye opening to those that are more comfortable throwing overhand, or maybe even though they are primarily right handed, they find it easier to throw left handed back hand, or whatever..

Eyy very nice ideas. Love them. I love the idea of setting up the whatever course I can set up. Will do for sure!

Where is your company renting discs? I would stick to putters and miss for first-timers.

I'm not sure but we're at Estonia so my company will rent from somewhere where they can.

My recommendation was putters and mids only as well.

Will your company allow you to send out a 'company-wide' email? If so, use that to discuss basics. The company is putting on a disc golf day....what is disc golf?

Email:
What's disc golf?
Basic terms
Overstable, understable and stable meanings
What pitfalls to avoid when getting into disc golf?
Grip (everybody will have different hand size, for example my grip would not be comfortable or good enough for others)

In the field:
How to throw the disc? 2 options, backhand, forehand and show them the form.
How to putt? (Different styles of putts)
Standstill throws since they are beginners.

Not needed this early:
How to choose the disc? discs will be provided....so they don't need to know how to choose one yet.
How to give the disc hyzer, anhyzer or flat angle? Beginners should be learning the basic throw for now.
Suggestions like standstill throws, weight shift, no hugging, etc. They are beginners, start them with the standstill.

I agree with what autocross said. Just give the most basic of introduction as possible and focus on the fun of the game.

I have done a couple youth introductions and have actually taken a group of about 30 coworkers out for a round.

Keep it simple. It became apparent quickly that many simply do not have a ton of athleticism, competitiveness or interest in a lifelong hobby. Many were just out there for an afternoon of recreation and were curious about the game.

I handed out putters, Comets and Stratus. Gave about a 15 minute intro, rules/safety and simple throw basics. Used the rest of the time for the round. HAVE FUN!! I started with the first group, giving some individual instruction to those struggling mightily or those interested in more. I would then drop back a group after a couple holes. Many sucked, but they were often fine with that. Most had a very good time and still talk about it years later. A couple actually picked it up and play from time to time.

The sooner you put discs in their hands, the more likely they will enjoy the introduction. Get as many discs and baskets as you can. Let them alternate between putting and "throwing far" as their own choice. Topics like stability only matter to those who are trying to throw farther (and maybe it doesn't matter even to them!).

If it were me, my objective would be to have as many people thinking "I'd like to do more of this" when the event ends.

Its all about fun.

Latest posts