• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to measure elevation change?

glassila

Double Eagle Member
I see a lot of courses are showing elevation change on their tee signs.
What method are people using to get accurate results (within 1 foot)?

Olorin is the expert when it comes to elevation changes. Reach out to him for his knowledge on the matter.

Thanks!, I sent him a message.
I'm guessing places hire a surveyor in order to get accurate results.
From what I've read, phone apps won't be nearly accurate enough.
I could just use the old "2 posts, string and level" method.

I'd start with asking just how accurate those signs really are.

But they might be. I understand that there are commercial-grade GPS devices that are very accurate. We hired a contractor to build a pond for us, and he laid it out with some sort of device, not surveyor's tools.

I'd start with asking just how accurate those signs really are.

But they might be. I understand that there are commercial-grade GPS devices that are very accurate. We hired a contractor to build a pond for us, and he laid it out with some sort of device, not surveyor's tools.
or how accurate they actually need to be...

or how accurate they actually need to be...
On a hole with a small elevation change (0-10 feet), I would think you would want to be very accurate maybe within a foot?
When the elevation change is huge (+30 feet) then I wouldn't think accuracy would matter as much, so maybe within 3-4 feet?

I think seeing the shape of the elevation change is more useful than the net gain/loss. That one guy who does the topo map teesigns also has the tee to basket side view of the elevation profile.

Knowing how far out the little rise that guards the ideal landing zone/green would be super useful and could negate some of the potential advantage gained by using rangefinders.

I think seeing the shape of the elevation change is more useful than the net gain/loss. That one guy who does the topo map teesigns also has the tee to basket side view of the elevation profile.

Knowing how far out the little rise that guards the ideal landing zone/green would be super useful and could negate some of the potential advantage gained by using rangefinders.

Which brings to mind a thought. We have two holes on our course that are, essentially, level. That is, the tee is at about the same elevation as the basket. But one goes steeply uphill, runs level, then back downhill. The other is a downhill drive, a good ways along the low area, then to a basket up on a rise.

Net elevation change doesn't say a whole lot about most of the throws on those holes.

Hole 1 blue background - 500.jpg
This is rough, but I think a simple profile might be the best.

It should be easy to draw a profile with a ravine or rise in the fairway, but no actual
elevation change from the tee to the basket.

If you're not using your rangefinder to measure elevation changes, distances to landing zones/greens, obstacles, how far you are from the corner of a dogleg, how long the carry is to clear ob, etc.[/], you're using it wrong.

1712349640254.png
Google Earth (desktop version) can show elevation profile AND actual (as crow flies) distance with elevation compensated distance. Just click "Tools/Ruler" and select "Use elevation profile" in the "Path" tab. Gives a pretty good representation though might be less reliable if lotsa trees. If u know the course & hole layout pretty well, you should be able to determine if close enough & worth putting on a tee sign.

View attachment 336880
Google Earth (desktop version) can show elevation profile AND actual (as crow flies) distance with elevation compensated distance. Just click "Tools/Ruler" and select "Use elevation profile" in the "Path" tab. Gives a pretty good representation though might be less reliable if lotsa trees. If u know the course & hole layout pretty well, you should be able to determine if close enough & worth putting on a tee sign.
Thanks, but it is extremely inaccurate when I just checked. (maybe it works OK in some areas???)
I tested it on a 500 hole that is basically level and it said there was a 19' loss. (attached pic)
I tried it on a short hole that rises about 10 feet and it said there was a 29 foot gain.

I use Google Earth Pro all the time. It is very accurate for measuring point A to point B distances. (it's easy to test if you zoom in on a football field and check end zone line to end zone line)

Attachments

• elevation600.jpg
    elevation600.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 0