• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to workout to improve at disc golf

Nicely written article, Steve. You kept it simple and were informative about why working out is important for disc golf. It was good that you left out all the workout routine specifics, because you are not a personal trainer (for all I know).

I might actually start working out after reading that....?!? I get fatigued playing multiple rounds at hill-based courses (nothing like highland, but small ski/sledding hills), and I find that it affects my putting quite a bit. Trying to focus on a putt while you're physically drained isn't easy.

I agree with this fully. i have a few friends who play and some most are about the same skill level but playing a second round has completely different effects on scores: the less in shape guys go downhill fast and the in shape guys stay about the same. I'm of the kind that I play much better the longer I play.

It would be nice to have a bit more info on the weight lifting particulars. Cardio is pretty straight forward, but weight training could definitely hurt your game if, for example, you become muscle bound because of improper technique. Weight training like a football player or body builder is NOT going to help your disc golf game. Otherwise, the article is well written and makes sense.

It would be nice to have a bit more info on the weight lifting particulars. Cardio is pretty straight forward, but weight training could definitely hurt your game if, for example, you become muscle bound because of improper technique. Weight training like a football player or body builder is NOT going to help your disc golf game. Otherwise, the article is well written and makes sense.

Quote from the article: "Although being strong and having endurance is important, you don't want to look like a power lifter, you want to look more like a soccer goalie, or a sprinter. You want to be muscular with good endurance."

It's Ok for a real brief blurb, but maybe you could specify excercises or refer people that read it to another source for workouts. You told them what and why, but not how. Maybe you aren't the guy to tell them how, that is OK. Just direct the reader to some sources where he/she can find some appropriate workouts. I like the intention though. If you can't get though 2 tough rounds in the hills, you should be doing something to improve your stamina.

Any exercise that you do to build muscle throughout your body is going to help. You don't even need to use weights. If you do pushups, pullups, squats, and work the core front, sides, and low back, you will help yourself.

Quote from the article: "Although being strong and having endurance is important, you don't want to look like a power lifter, you want to look more like a soccer goalie, or a sprinter. You want to be muscular with good endurance."

Right. I'm just saying that it would be nice to have some particulars.

Such as, higher reps at lower weights = good because it builds endurance vs. fewer reps with heavier weights = bad because you'll end up looking like a power lifter.

Any exercise that you do to build muscle throughout your body is going to help. You don't even need to use weights. If you do pushups, pullups, squats, and work the core front, sides, and low back, you will help yourself.

I'm aware of that. You were asking for feedback. I'm not knocking your article, I thought it was 99.9% good stuff. I just thought it would be easy to throw in a sentence or two detailing the type of training that would BEST get you into shape for disc golf.

I believe he is writing these articles for the general public, or beginners to disc golf (am I correct here steve?). So they aren't going to be totally in depth. However, I do think it would be helpful to refer people to another source for further information on workout routines of this nature.

I believe he is writing these articles for the general public, or beginners to disc golf (am I correct here steve?). So they aren't going to be totally in depth. However, I do think it would be helpful to refer people to another source for further information on workout routines of this nature.

They are written mostly for the general public to get interest in the sport. Here is a link to another article I wrote a while ago with more specifics on what to do.

Here is my disc golf workout

Rollerblading (legs and back)
Dynaflex Powerball (arms wrist and fingers)
Chucking discs in the field

While cardio and weightlifting are important, the most important fitness related aspect in disc golf (IMO) is flexibility. Increasing flexibility reduces injuries, both acute (aggrivating a deltoid or lat during a throw,) and fatigue related (Lower back pain can often be attributed to tight hamstrings.) It will allow for a longer reachback and pullthrough, and a more fluid, non restricted movement in general. Flexibility will negate the fears of becoming "too bulky" (although getting a bodybuilder physique is not something that inadvertently happens overnight.)

Muscles stretch best when warm, warm up before exercise and stretch at the end of a workout. Warming up and stretching before a disc round would be wise as well.

I agree that flexibility should be stessed. I like your ongoing series, maybe a future one cound focus on that. Using yoga or just basic stretching routines can pay big dividends.

I can tell you that it would make sense to follow a workout regimine for baseball players, especially if you throw forehand.

My son used to look at me funny when I set my stuff down and started stretching before a round. Then I got him to try it and now he does it too. Stretching is a must do before you play.

Good article. I think stretching is the most important part...I played baseball in college and staying loose is the most important part if your doing weight training for both sports. As long as your technique isn't hurt by training I don't see the problem. Just do lots of high rep core and back and lots of stretching afterwords. Then again, maybe working on putting would be more beneficial to your game than anything. A wise man once said "throw for show, put for dough."