• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to write driving directions

I suggest using both Left/Right and Compass directions on every turn. Navigation styles vary, some people don't think in one or the other kind. Also, if it says "turn left (north)" then it's easier to follow the directions if I'm coming back from missing a turn.

^^^this!!
compass directions make way more sense to me. gives a sense of proper orientation not just blind orders to follow.

i never follow the directions on the course page. i would much rather just look at a map and decide my own directions. sometimes i will cross-reference the course page just to see if another route would have been easier or if i can't figure it out from looking at the map.

I agree about using your own instincts.
The thing to remember about driving directions is that you're trying to write them for people who DON'T live in the area, and aren't familiar with the street layout or local landmarks like "yew know w'ar thuh co-op is?" If nothing else, DRIVE the route and see what signs are visible, what landmarks stand out.
And if you don't want out-of-towners at your course, then WTF are you listing it for?

FWIW, you can always click the map location button on the course page either on a computer or smart phone to get google maps driving directions rather than whatever has ended up on the course page (the same is true of the turn-by-turn link on the mobile version).

HERE IS THE EASIEST WAY TO GET DIRECTIONS:

1) Click "Map Location"
2) Click "Get Directions"
3) Type in your address
4) Click "Get Directions"

Edit: This is awkward...

FWIW, you can always click the map location button on the course page either on a computer or smart phone to get google maps driving directions rather than whatever has ended up on the course page (the same is true of the turn-by-turn link on the mobile version).

HERE IS THE EASIEST WAY TO GET DIRECTIONS:

1) Click "Map Location"
2) Click "Get Directions"
3) Type in your address
4) Click "Get Directions"

Edit: This is awkward...

The problem guys is that these are technology dependent solutions. The whole point of my rant was to have clear to understand written instructions for folks who don't have those available.

I'm not disagreeing, just offering a solution for those who have access to that. Also, that option is available before you leave home, if you can access this site you can look up directions on google maps.

If you are technologically tuned to find disc golf courses using the internet, you should be able to print out directions.

Also, that option is available before you leave home, if you can access this site you can look up directions on google maps.
That's good for if you're doing a day trip and just planning to hit a few courses. If you're going on a multi-state road trip with 25 or more possible courses to hit, and no particular fixed order in which you may go to them that's a lot of directions to verify.

On my long travels, I've just copy-pasted the text from the print friendly version of the course pages of courses I've wanted to visit, made a .wps file from that, and have printed it off. Low tech, but very handy.

The first time I went to ludington to golf like 15yrs ago I followed online directions to the course, they led me to a trailer in the middle of a trailer park :\

I hope folks are correcting driving directions when the find issues like this, I know I've made changes to the directions on several courses when they weren't accurate or didn't give enough info to find the course once inside the park.

If you are technologically tuned to find disc golf courses using the internet, you should be able to print out directions.
But, not everybody is technologically tuned to finding directions on the internet, hence why we have old fashioned written directions available.

If those directions given are bad, they may not get you where you're going.