• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Howdy from Texas City!

Case

Howdy Folks,

I just discovered Disc Golf a couple months ago. I live across the street from the 1st hole of the Texas City Disc Golf Course. It's a nice course with plenty of water hazards. The gulf breeze always blows through here making the course challenging.

I'm looking forward to learning more about the game and courses from y'all.

-Case

Welcome to a fun sport! A decade ago, if you told me I was gonna spend hundred$ on plastic, and plan vacations around where the best courses are, I'd have laughed in your face. 200 courses later, I look forward to my next trip. :)

Above all, remember to have fun. Don't let the quest to improve dull the fun. Sure it's more fun when you're playing well, but keep your sense of humor. As far as improving, just remember that no disc is going to truly compensate for not having decent form. In some cases, certain discs mask form flaws, so while some molds may yield better results early on (i.e. getting more distance), but you may end up having to unlearn bad habits that using those discs has masked.

Check out the Newbie threads, and you'll see lots of advice about starting out with neutral mids like Buzzzes and Rocs, and finding a putter you're confident with... for good reason. Don't be sucked into the newest, fastest, bestest, disc marketing. There are definitely differences between discs, but never forget, "It's not the arrow, it's the archer." Distance will come with time, but placement, line shaping and knowing how to read and compensate for the wind are worth more than distance most of the time.

Enjoy the addiction, Case! :hfive:

Last edited:
Thanks BogeyNoMore

Sounds like you have very good advice to offer.
I've already noticed that the most expensive discs aren't always for me.
I'm learning that control is more important than distance in my game. Though I do enjoy practicing new techniques with different discs for distance.
It seems I do well with discs with a speed around 6-8.
The faster discs are much harder for me to control.
Thanks again for posting a response, my adventure is just beginning.
I'm having a blast!

Welcome from Seabrook!

Welcome to a fun sport. You're in a great location for local parks. I recommend Jack Brooks park for sure.

I'm pretty new to the sport also, but you'll learn fast it's easy to become addicted. I'll find myself going almost every day some weeks being so close to Taylor Lake DGC. Disc golf is a great way to meet new friends and have good clean fun. Just remember to have fun with it. I've had some frustrating days playing where it seemed like I couldn't get any disc to fly right.. But those days are still way better than a day at work.

Have fun!

Latest posts