• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How's this for a (not so good) intermediate player's bag?

Lightbringer

Bogey Member
Drivers:

Innova Star Valkyrie 169g
(This and the Fury are my main drivers off the tee)
Innova DX Valkyrie 171g
(This I use on shots I don't want to risk my Star Valkyrie on)
Innova DX Beast 157g
(This I use mainly for throwing uphill and for s-curves)
Innova DX Beast 150g
(Reliable roller)

Fairway Drivers:

Latitude 64 Retro Fury 169g
Innova DX Teebird 168g
Innova Star Teebird 172g

(This I use mainly for throwing downhill or into a headwind)

Midrange:

Innova KC Pro Roc (Flat Top) 180g
(I use this for the majority of shots between my drive and my put)
Innova DX Roc 165g
(I use this for tightly wooded areas)
Innova DX Roc (Rancho) 175g
Latitude 64 Opto Line Claymore 166g

Putters:

Dynamic Discs Classic Soft Judge 174g
(This I use for approach shots, especially where there is a risk of roll away or bounce)
Dynamic Discs Classic Blend Judge 172g
Dynamic Discs Prime Judge 175g

(My main putter)

Optional Utility Discs:

Innova DX Dragon 150g
(For shots over water)

I have a lot more discs than this but these are the ones I use the most on a regular basis. Right now I am throwing about 300', working on my form without a run up. It really doesn't matter which disc I'm throwing they all go about the same max distance. Really, they all go to the same place and I'm not getting much fade out of anything, with the exception of the lighter Beasts that tend to go right on me.

I am currently liking discs with a turn/fade of -2/2 for straight shots and s-curves, and 0/2 for a more stable counterpart. The Rocs I like all around because I can throw them pretty straight or I can get a good hyzer out of them; I am still working on right-turning anhyzer shots.

Pretty solid bag. You may want to ditch the lightweight Beasts once you get a DX Valk to the point of being flippy. I'd recommend the Pro Valk, too. I've never thrown a Fury, but doesn't it overlap with the Valk?

I'd probably want to add something slower and understable in the woods: Leopard, JLS, River, or FD. (Maybe that's what you're using the Fury for...) I'd also want to add something truly overstable for nasty wind and utility shots: Firebird, Predator, XXX, etc. Speaking of that you might want to try out slightly faster moderately overstable disc: PD, OLF, Thunderbird, Avenger, etc. If you get a Predator, that could probably cover both this slot and the utility shot. At your power, Teebirds also work well for this, but as you start throwing farther, you may want to look into it.

Finally, I'd add a true understable midrange until you can get one of the Rocs beat up to awesomeness. Something like a Fuse might work well. My guess is the Claymore will overlap with the Rocs pretty soon.

Banzai, I actually have a river, I just wasn't using it that often. After reading your suggestion I took it out to a field to get more used to it and I'm starting to like it more. I will look into getting those other positions filled. I did just find a Star Wraith with no ink on it, would that cover the faster/more stable spot you're talking about?

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Banzai, I actually have a river, I just wasn't using it that often. After reading your suggestion I took it out to a field to get more used to it and I'm starting to like it more. I will look into getting those other positions filled. I did just find a Star Wraith with no ink on it, would that cover the faster/more stable spot you're talking about?

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Keep the Wraith for when you start turning the star Valk over.

If you stumble across a new/not beat 175+ DX Cobra, jump on it for that understable mid slot. Also esp Meteors work very well also. Both work very well for field work also, along with moderately overstable putters like premium plastic Wizards, Ions and big bead Avairs.

I did just find a Star Wraith with no ink on it, would that cover the faster/more stable spot you're talking about?

A wraith would probably work for that role for now, but they are "speed stable" and not truly stable. It will fly stable/overstable for you simply because you aren't getting it up to speed. They will flip for you in a headwind and sail on you. Usually people want something a bit more HSS in the moderately overstable spot. But test out the Wraith and see how it flies for you.

Based on your suggestions I picked up a couple of Fuses, Diamonds and a Firebird. Man do I love that Firebird so far. I parked it right underneath the basket from the tee on a slight dogleg left shot downhill the other day. Surprisingly it's the disc I can get to go the straightest for the longest. The Fuses I'm still working with. I can get a lot of turn out of them if I throw them pretty firmly, but I have trouble getting them to stay right if I throw them with less power. That's because I haven't really worked out anhyzer shots yet, though.

Latest posts