• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hurling a roc from a rock

Tuckerman

Or, how can I improve accuracy while throwing from a standstill?

Hi everyone. First time posting. Love the forum. I'll explain "me" in a moment. First I'll get to the question.

My beloved home course (Borderland) is a wooded park. Several of the fairways are littered with exposed roots, muddy holes, and jagged rocks. I'm to the point where I can putt with one knee resting on a decaying stump and the toes of my other foot wedged into a rock fissure. Throwing a good fairway shot from this stance is another matter.

Assuming I find a decent surface on which to plant each of my footsies, which would be proper RHBH technique?

1) Doing a full reachback, no matter the distance. Then control how the disc flies via how hard I pull.

2) Shortening the reachback to correlate with the distance.

3) Something I haven't tried, yet.

I find that my accuracy suffers no matter which method I try. Distance is not much of an issue.

Using the first technique, the disc rips from my hand at the right point in the motion. However, doing a full reachback means taking my eyes off the target and my aim becomes suspect. It's not like driving from the pad where my x-steps put me in motion toward the target. Shifting my weight from my dead leg to my lead leg just isn't the same.

Using the second technique, I have a better visual on where I want the disk to go, but I find myself having to time the release of the disc. As a result, there are frequent problems with griplock and premature ejection.

About me: I'm a novice player. Just started in October 2013. The disc I'm using for most of the throws above is a Star Mako. Depending on distance and the whims of the tree gods, I may use a Leopard. I can strong arm a driver 300', but 260-280' is closer to my average. I'm comfy with speed 7 or 8 for my tee shots. Love me some TL. Don't talk me to about putting, yet.

The shot depends on the distance. From closer distances, go with option 2. Longer distances go with option 1. To help with accuracy, you should point your shoulder at where you are trying to throw. You're reachback should be a straight line towards the target.

The distance of the shot determines the amount of reachback for me if I'm not making a full throw.

With practice, you should be able to get to where the disc rips from your hand at the same point every throw. To do that, you have to have the same acceleration on every throw.

The shorter reachback means that your arm doesn't have as much time to accelerate, so it is moving slower at the point the disc rips from your hand.

Try to catch some vids with Jussi Meresmaa in them. I rarely see him use a full run-up.

Copy his form when he throws from a standstill.

Repeat.

To help with accuracy, you should point your shoulder at where you are trying to throw.

I know this but haven't been focusing on it. Thank you for the reminder.

With practice, you should be able to get to where the disc rips from your hand at the same point every throw. To do that, you have to have the same acceleration on every throw.

The shorter reachback means that your arm doesn't have as much time to accelerate, so it is moving slower at the point the disc rips from your hand.

I'm probably being a noob and missing something obvious, but that seems counter-intuitive to me. The release will be consistent with consistent acceleration. So, I should vary the acceleration with each throw? How does that help? Or where you describing the fundamentals of the problem and I'm just being dense?

I found a few videos with Jussi Meresmaa, but so far he's doing a full x-step in each one. Even a 360 approach. I'll keep looking.

Thanks everyone. I will practice the second option with more focus on aiming my shoulder.

my home course isn't as rough... but by design has plenty of drive stopping trees and guarded baskets.
i worked a FH flick into my game. it's an easy standstill shot, and gives you another angle into the basket. once you get the the disc coming out flat... you're throwing your Roc like skipping a rock across water. as long as you're not trying to throw for big distance from the start, you can be pretty accurate
with it quickly.

I'm probably being a noob and missing something obvious, but that seems counter-intuitive to me. The release will be consistent with consistent acceleration. So, I should vary the acceleration with each throw? How does that help? Or where you describing the fundamentals of the problem and I'm just being dense?

Red is true. Bold is false. You accelerate the same on every throw so that the disc rips at the same point every time, but you just give your arm a shorter distance to accelerate. I hope that makes sense. You mentioned timing being an issue in the OP, and I have found for me a smooth, consistent, acceleration to be the easiest way to have the correct timing to get the disc to rip at the same point every time. You shouldn't ever release the disc, but it should rip out on its own. Relaxing your grip on shorter throws can help with that too

Without getting into too much math, say a car accelerating at its max power can get 150mph in 1000'; at any distance less than 1000', the car is moving slower, but it still used the same acceleration to get to that distance.

My "standstill" throw is more like a baseball batter swing. I start with my feet close together and step into the throw. Allows for a follow thru similar to my Xstep.

I try to make my throws as uniform as possible whether from a standstill, driver, mid, putter, distance regardless. I find that the more consistent my form, the more control I have, and then I can worry about how much power goes behind it, rather than changing my form based on the situation.

Without getting into too much math, say a car accelerating at its max power can get 150mph in 1000'; at any distance less than 1000', the car is moving slower, but it still used the same acceleration to get to that distance.

The light has gone on. Thank you for that clarification. Makes perfect sense, now.

Nope. Don't think so.

I began playing when I needed to take my labrador puppy out for exercise. His name is Tucker. Everybody knows the dog. I'm just the man holding his leash.

Nope. Don't think so.

I began playing when I needed to take my labrador puppy out for exercise. His name is Tucker. Everybody knows the dog. I'm just the man holding his leash.

Gotcha, thought you might be the same guy from a different board. Welcome!