• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

HYZER flip?

SeanMeacham

I hear this being said all the time on the DG forums. I am a pretty avid player but don't know what it means?? Can anyone explain what a hyzer flip is, and is it something you have to do with a more understable disc?

ive been wondering the same thing too. I hear hyzer/anhyzer and overstable/understable alot too. to be honest i have no clue about any of those 3 things. I know how I throw and which way the disc ends up after

for personal curiousity, if someone has a video or knows of a video for the throw from the OP would you mind posting it please?

Yes, you need to do it with a more understable disc. A hyzer flip is done by taking an understable disc, and releasing it at a hyzer angle. If thrown with an overstable disc, you would just be hooking to the left (RHFH); but since you threw an understable disc, it turns and either levels out, or keeps going right then fades back left.

ive been wondering the same thing too. I hear hyzer/anhyzer and overstable/understable alot too. to be honest i have no clue about any of those 3 things. I know how I throw and which way the disc ends up after

for personal curiousity, if someone has a video or knows of a video for the throw from the OP would you mind posting it please?

I can't post a video at work, but check out the long distance driving clinic by discraft. I think they talk about it in that one.

RHBH:
Hyzer, a throw that hooks to the left
Anhyzer, a throw that hooks to the right
Hyzer Flip, a throw released at a hyzer, but flips up to level or slightly right and back for an S

Last edited:
I've been working on hyzer flips a lot recently. What I've been using for them is a Stratus and a light weight Comet. I'm by no means great at it yet but with both of those as long as I release at a hyzer angle they flip flat and go straight. What I've found is depending on how much hyzer angle and speed I put on the disc will affect the finish of the flight. where as if I use only a modest amount of hyzer it'll flip flat, go straight for a little and then turnover gently. If I use a lot of hyzer it flips flat, goes straight, and very gently fades hyzer at the end.

Nice CW...great description.

hyzer flips dont always fade at the end. They can also finish Anhyzer...

Revision to posters earlier comments

I had to quickly interject the inclusion of an understable disc in one of the earlier post. A hyzer flip shot can be done with a more stable disc, but really comes down to arm speed. I hyzer flip Flashs and a Z-XS, which are both rated at 1.5 (per Discraft).

Don't pigeon hole yourself into throwing a purely understable disc. I have to say a Z-XS is an incredible Flip Hyzer disc.

If you can get a hold of some pro tapes from clashdvd.com you'll see a ton of these types of shots.

If you read Innova's web page, they have a list of terms and diagrams to explain things. After reading this it really bothers me that it is so common for people to use the terms in other ways. So either Innova has it wrong or a lot of people never learned the terms correctly.

From my understanding the terms Hyzer and Anhyzer refer to the angle at which the disc is released. Hyzer means the outside edge is lower than the inside edge and Anhyzer is where the outside edge is higher than the inside edge.

During the flight of a disc a disc will turn, flip or fade. Turn and flip basically refer to the same motion where the disc changes angle from its initial release angle in the opposite direction of the expected fade at the end of the flight of the disc. When a disc slows down in air and looses rotational momentum it will tend to fade in a particular direction depending on wether or not the disc is rotating clockwise or counter-clockwise.

An overstable disc is one that has little to no high speed turn and lots of fade.
A stable disc is one that has little to no high speed turn and little to no fade.
An understable disc is one that has lots of high speed turn and little to no fade.

Now, a hyzer flip is when you release an understable disc with hyzer angle on it so that it flips up straight or even to some of the expected high speed turn. This will theoretically give you the most distance possible though flex shots are also good for long shots as well. This would be taking an overstable disc and releasing it with anhyzer angle. It is fun.

There, I have said my piece and have a peace.

I had to quickly interject the inclusion of an understable disc in one of the earlier post. A hyzer flip shot can be done with a more stable disc, but really comes down to arm speed. I hyzer flip Flashs and a Z-XS, which are both rated at 1.5 (per Discraft).

Don't pigeon hole yourself into throwing a purely understable disc. I have to say a Z-XS is an incredible Flip Hyzer disc.

If you can get a hold of some pro tapes from clashdvd.com you'll see a ton of these types of shots.

I have a Destroyer that I have to throw a hyzer flip with but that is because the disc becomes more understable with time. Yes arm strength plays a part but there are some overstable discs that are hard for even the biggest arms to turn over, even with an anhyzer release.

You know, that's the most sense I've seen made of technical terms from anyone on here, as far as being able to understand it. Still unclear about what a flex shot is, but that's a totally different subject, huh?

In the prior posts, I'm trying to figure out how its possible to Hyzer flip a Destroyer or something of the like. An anhyzer flip, defnatly, but not a hyzer flip.

im pretty sure a flex shot is where you take an overstable disc ie the destroyer, and throw it with an anhyzer to make it fly in a S pattern.

You know, that's the most sense I've seen made of technical terms from anyone on here, as far as being able to understand it. Still unclear about what a flex shot is, but that's a totally different subject, huh?

In the prior posts, I'm trying to figure out how its possible to Hyzer flip a Destroyer or something of the like. An anhyzer flip, defnatly, but not a hyzer flip.

It depends on the arm strength and a lot on the plastic. DX and Pro plastic (for a destroyer) as it gets beat in will become more understable thus allowing for a less powerful player to hyzer flip a destroyer. As someone already said though with the arm strength it is possible to throw overstable discs using a hyzer flip granted you get a lot of rotation on the disc. So that said, I'm sure players with cannons can probably hyzer flip a destroyer in star plastic as well.

I believe what you are referring to as an "anhyzer flip" is in fact a flex shot. I throw these all the time RHFH with a Boss. I have only been playing for a little over a month and can throw 350' on open holes. Releasing the disc with anhyzer angle and letting the natural physics and "overstable-ness" level it off. It eventually finishes with the natural fade right (for RHFH).

Last edited:

all discs respond to the speed they are thrown. A disc only behaves the way it is supposed to if it is thrown at its optimial speed. So if you look at the innova charts a disc will only fly that way if it is thrown at optimal speed....
So If a disc turns right at high speed like many high speed drivers do (destroyer, wraith, surge, Boss, etc.) it will turn to the right then finish on a fade. If it is thrown with under the optimal speed it will not generate high speed turn and will fade hard.....
BUT If it is thrown over its optimal speed it will start turning sooner and either not fade at all or fade very little.

So big arms choose to hyzer flip these discs (sometimes even when new) to keep them on the correct flight path

If you read Innova's web page, they have a list of terms and diagrams to explain things. After reading this it really bothers me that it is so common for people to use the terms in other ways. So either Innova has it wrong or a lot of people never learned the terms correctly.

From my understanding the terms Hyzer and Anhyzer refer to the angle at which the disc is released. Hyzer means the outside edge is lower than the inside edge and Anhyzer is where the outside edge is higher than the inside edge.

During the flight of a disc a disc will turn, flip or fade. Turn and flip basically refer to the same motion where the disc changes angle from its initial release angle in the opposite direction of the expected fade at the end of the flight of the disc. When a disc slows down in air and looses rotational momentum it will tend to fade in a particular direction depending on wether or not the disc is rotating clockwise or counter-clockwise.

An overstable disc is one that has little to no high speed turn and lots of fade.
A stable disc is one that has little to no high speed turn and little to no fade.
An understable disc is one that has lots of high speed turn and little to no fade.

Now, a hyzer flip is when you release an understable disc with hyzer angle on it so that it flips up straight or even to some of the expected high speed turn. This will theoretically give you the most distance possible though flex shots are also good for long shots as well. This would be taking an overstable disc and releasing it with anhyzer angle. It is fun.

There, I have said my piece and have a peace.

Couldn't have been said better:D

im pretty sure a flex shot is where you take an overstable disc ie the destroyer, and throw it with an anhyzer to make it fly in a S pattern.

I thought a flex shot was released flat, but fast enough to reach it's "turning speed" so that it turns right (RHBH) during the middle phase of its flight and fades back left during the last part.

Slightly confused, but learning more about my game at the same time. Now I understand how to use Innova ratings to determine my abilities as far as strength is concerned. I always viewed the term "flex shot" as a general term refering to any S-curve shot, regardless of it is released flat, hyzer or anhyzer.

Flex shot, or anhyzer flex shot, is when an overstable disc is thrown at an anhyzer, levels out, then fades left. This, as Nati said, all depends on arm speed. I always put a slight hyzer on my Z-Surge ( I think it's rated 1.7) to get it to pop up flat (hyzer flip shot). However, A person throwing with slower arm speed may not throw fast enough to get the disc to turn at high speeds. Go grab yourself a sidewinder or avenger SS and bomb that thing out at a hyzer angle. Watch the magic happen.