• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

HYZER flip?

Magic is right. I threw my first hyzer flip today with my ESP-Surge in 168. Absolutely awesome. I was releasing the disc at a 45 degree angle and it'd flip right over and most of the time STILL wouldn't come back.
It seems to be a great way to get distance but also makes for some useful lines. I'm looking forward to trying some different discs and angles.

Magic is right. I threw my first hyzer flip today with my ESP-Surge in 168. Absolutely awesome. I was releasing the disc at a 45 degree angle and it'd flip right over and most of the time STILL wouldn't come back.
It seems to be a great way to get distance but also makes for some useful lines. I'm looking forward to trying some different discs and angles.
45 degrees with a Surge? Either that is an extreme exaggeration or I just don't get the hyzer-flip at all. The few times I have done a hyzer-flip it was with a much less stable disc and probably between 5-10 degrees. How far are you throwing it?

I own a Leopard Pro 168 and I've always found it too turnover too quickly; as such, I didn't use it too often. About a month ago, I started hyzer flips with the aforementioned disc and found pretty decent (an extra ~50-60 feet than other methods) with practice. They key for me is to release at a hyzer angle, but to not release it at an angle that's too steep. I'm sure the angle depends on the disc and arm strength, as some others have mentioned.

I probably put about a 20 degree on my Z-surge and it will pop flat and continue turning right. If I put it on a 45 it will pop flat and just keep on going and going. Keep in mind it's been beat in nicely and I throw about 350-400.

I'll also point out that speed and nose angle aren't the only way to get a disc to flip. You can apply other forces (commonly called off-axis torque) to the disc to get it to turn over as well.

Thanks TalbotTrojan- that was a great explanation of some jargon that gets thrown around. As a newb/noob/new player, I appreciate the careful explanation.

You know, that's the most sense I've seen made of technical terms from anyone on here, as far as being able to understand it. Still unclear about what a flex shot is, but that's a totally different subject, huh?

In the prior posts, I'm trying to figure out how its possible to Hyzer flip a Destroyer or something of the like. An anhyzer flip, defnatly, but not a hyzer flip.

I have a beat in destroyer that I hyzer flip. I put about 15-20 degrees hyzer on it and it will then become the straightest (forehand) throw in my bag. I can cook a straight line 5 feet off the ground for 300+ with just the slightest hyzer flip on that. I do the same for distance on my beast. If I release the destroyer a little higher, and level it will S curve naturally for maximum distance.

Now I couldn't even dream of hyzer flipping my destroyer with my puny backhand.

I have a beat up dx eagle that I flip, If I thow it flat it will go hard right and not come back, so adding some hyzer lets it go further before making its right turn. Depending on how far I need to go before turning right will determine how much hyzer I release with. Thats just how I do it!

45 degrees with a Surge? Either that is an extreme exaggeration or I just don't get the hyzer-flip at all. The few times I have done a hyzer-flip it was with a much less stable disc and probably between 5-10 degrees. How far are you throwing it?

Well let me start by reiterating that it's ESP and is only 167 grams. Previously when throwing it flat it would turnover and crash just shy of 300 feet. The thing, for whatever reason, loves to turn over.

Secondly, I've realized that I can generate ALOT more power throwing a hyzer than throwing flat- which by the way I recommend that new discraft increasing your drive video.

Thirdly, I could be off 10 degrees or so considering it was something new and I may unintentionally changed the angle approaching my hit.

Couldn't give you a distance that I'd be confident in standing by as of now, but I'll get out to a field and measure some stuff out soon.

So I was in huge disbelief of anyone hyzer flipping a surge until today. I went out to my local course and concentrated really on the right technique. Got up to the first hole and without really meaning to I hyzer flipped the hell out of my new ESP Surge. Kept doing it pretty consitently throughout the round so I'm a believer now

So I was in huge disbelief of anyone hyzer flipping a surge until today. I went out to my local course and concentrated really on the right technique. Got up to the first hole and without really meaning to I hyzer flipped the hell out of my new ESP Surge. Kept doing it pretty consitently throughout the round so I'm a believer now

I wouldn't have believed anyone either, or I'd at least think "they must have one hell of an arm". It's pretty incredible stuff.

for alot of people this works because it shortens their release which produces alot more snap