• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hyzer Putting vs. Overstable Putters

zenbot

*Super Moderator*
Staff member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
I was reading Climo's spiel on hyzer putting. I primarily use Rhynos within 30 feet and it sounds like it, pretty much, has the same effect.

Any thoughts on what the differences are?

There's going to a difference if you're using an Aviar and releasing it hyzer in as opposed to throwing an overstable disc flat and letting it do it's thing.

I'm just curious if anybody's used both methods and if they have an opinion of the pros and cons.

Doesn't Climo basically say that since ALL discs fade naturally to a Hyzer that he likes to remove all the variables and play the hyzer?

I do that with an ESP Banger GT and it has led to me being very consistent. However, if the course is open and windy it can be a problem.

Z

Doesn't Climo basically say that since ALL discs fade naturally to a Hyzer that he likes to remove all the variables and play the hyzer?

I do that with an ESP Banger GT and it has led to me being very consistent. However, if the course is open and windy it can be a problem.

Z
I haven't worked with much Discraft. They only seem to sell Innova out here. What about the Banger do you like?

The Banger GT has that groove in the top which seems to be a key to my consistent release. I use 173-174 and they also seem to turn at the same place in their flight every time.

I went through Wizards, JK Aviars, and was putting pretty well with a rhyno. But I make a LOT more 25-30 foot putts with the banger.

Z

Bang da' Chains with that Banger! Bang da' Chains!

There's going to a difference if you're using an Aviar and releasing it hyzer in as opposed to throwing an overstable disc flat and letting it do it's thing.
I don't think you'll find many successful putters who do anything but run straight at the basket, regardless of release angle, for putts inside the circle.

Personally, I don't like overstable putters like the Rhyno because they lack carry even at low speeds. That makes it that much harder to put adequeate power on longer (>20') putts. A 30' putt with a Rhyno requires more power than a 30' putt with a Wizard. It's kind of like you're artificially lengthening those putts.

I don't think you'll find many successful putters who do anything but run straight at the basket, regardless of release angle, for putts inside the circle.

Personally, I don't like overstable putters like the Rhyno because they lack carry even at low speeds. That makes it that much harder to put adequeate power on longer (>20') putts. A 30' putt with a Rhyno requires more power than a 30' putt with a Wizard. It's kind of like you're artificially lengthening those putts.

I think the rhyno is a very effective go for it putter at 30-50 feet because of that lack of carry. It has a predictable hyzer, never sails and rarely rolls. But if you want to go for putts everytime and not sweat the misses NOTHING works as well as a Blowfly. You miss and it goes splat.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a Wizard pretty overstable?

Wouldnt say the wizard is overstable like a Rhyno or Pig, but stable like a BB Aviar, and GT Banger.

But if you want to go for putts everytime and not sweat the misses NOTHING works as well as a Blowfly. You miss and it goes splat.
And that's the problem with the Blowfly, while it doesn't move much once it hits the ground, it also makes it way too easy to miss.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a Wizard pretty overstable?
Yeah, it's along the lines of a BB Aviar or Challenger like sidewinder22 said. The reason I choose something like the Wizard over the Rhyno is because you get the same predictability with less likelyhood of coming up short or the disc fading too early. In other words the "sweet spot" of how much power you put on your putt is smaller with a Rhyno than with a Wizard.

Really, the issues with what happens when you miss your putt will be solved with a decent pitch putt. A special putter isn't really needed.

For some reason, my brother can not putt straight, so he only hyzer putts. He uses a Soft Magnet, and he makes some really cool shots. He also has made some very longs putts as well.

And that's the problem with the Blowfly, while it doesn't move much once it hits the ground, it also makes it way too easy to miss.

Yeah, it's along the lines of a BB Aviar or Challenger like sidewinder22 said. The reason I choose something like the Wizard over the Rhyno is because you get the same predictability with less likelyhood of coming up short or the disc fading too early. In other words the "sweet spot" of how much power you put on your putt is smaller with a Rhyno than with a Wizard.

Really, the issues with what happens when you miss your putt will be solved with a decent pitch putt. A special putter isn't really needed.

Thanks for the info, cool way to explain it. I pitch putt inside of 25 feet. Truthfully, outside of that, the banger suits my fade.

I just use my normal putting motion and aim for the right edge of the chains, instead of the center of the chains, if I'm over 30' away. That way I'm still throwing a straight putt and the disc does the work at the end. The the further away I get, the more I aim right. I also add an elevated angle to my longer putts as well. It seems to work OK for me. I actually made a 60 footer today in a practice round.

And I'm not saying that any of this is advice for anyone else. This is just what I do. My putting is improving, but isn't particularly good at this point. So if anyone reads this and thinks "that's why you don't putt really well" I'd be open to ideas.

I'm just curious if anybody's used both methods and if they have an opinion of the pros and cons.

A hyzer release should help eliminate misses to the right, a overstable putter thrown flat does not do this.

A hyzer angle tends to be less effected by headwind/taildwind.

^^ Those are the two reasons for the hyzer release, regardless of disc stability.

I just started puting more hyzer on my putt releases. It seems like my putting has improved alot from this (or maybe thats because I switched from a star aviar to a soft magnet? jk). I also found that hyzer putts dont hurt you as much when you miss.

Last edited:
I just thought of a great idea. I'll just stop missing putts.

Bingo. Problem solved.

Seriously, though, thanks for everybody's input. Even though there's a million ways to make the same shot or a million opinions on plastic it's still good to hear everybody's approach to the game.

I just use my normal putting motion and aim for the right edge of the chains, instead of the center of the chains, if I'm over 30' away. That way I'm still throwing a straight putt and the disc does the work at the end. The the further away I get, the more I aim right. I also add an elevated angle to my longer putts as well. It seems to work OK for me. I actually made a 60 footer today in a practice round.

And I'm not saying that any of this is advice for anyone else. This is just what I do. My putting is improving, but isn't particularly good at this point. So if anyone reads this and thinks "that's why you don't putt really well" I'd be open to ideas.

Forgot to mention that I putt with a 175g DX Aviar P & A.

Is there really a right way to do this?

A friend of mine uses a rhyno and only performs hyzer putts; however, I do believe his putting has suffered, because he uses a big sweeping hyzer, which causes his shots to have to be near perfect to hit. When they miss they tend to roll too far due to the steep angle of his hyzer.

I use a pro d magnet, and release flat and straight. It has little glide, so misses do not fly past the basket much or roll far. As I get farther away from the basket I use the same motion, use a hyzer release and put more power behind the throw. It's kind of like a hyzer flip putt. My putts have started to make straighter runs at the basket, and I am getting closer and closer to having a dependable putt past 30 feet. I also practice putting into a box in my garage on a regular basis, which has done more for my putting than any magical putter ever has.

what i love about my wizard is that i can get it to go straight for a long while (dependent on spin), and it will predictably fade at the end, making consistent putting much easier...my magnet is almost as good, and the aviar p&a that i have is much harder to control...

i never could get the hang of putting much hyzer on a put and still be accurate...

Latest posts